Foul, or just rude? Or am I a nit?

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1704406263847.png

And if it was still there. I’d take him moving as more of “I really want to win” and essentially that was to him like you standing in his line of sight. He wasn’t doing it to be an ass. He was kindly asking it to move

DeeDeeCues

Your opponent gets decent shape shot on his last shot, but has to roll the cue ball over the template to get to the object ball. Instead of moving the template to the rail, he moves it over just enough to be out of his shot.

Something about that rankled me. You could just as easily set your phone, or your chalk, or drink or whatever on the playing surface and be cocky about knowing that you won't hit it. It's like touching the cue ball before it stops rolling because you "know it's not going to hit anything".

Hmmm. If you leave chalk on the table when you shoot, it's a foul. The published rules used to say that the only things allowed on the table during a shot are the balls and a bridge.

I've always believed that templates are in violation of the rules of the game. At the very least, they should be removed from the table as early as possible.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your opponent gets decent shape shot on his last shot, but has to roll the cue ball over the template to get to the object ball. Instead of moving the template to the rail, he moves it over just enough to be out of his shot.

Something about that rankled me. You could just as easily set your phone, or your chalk, or drink or whatever on the playing surface and be cocky about knowing that you won't hit it. It's like touching the cue ball before it stops rolling because you "know it's not going to hit anything".
You were pissed you lost
GET OVER IT 😱
jmho

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
Rulebook needs clarification for errors and failure to comply.

Penalty for a nit error can be minimum like ignore it or maximum like forfeit of rack.

Create an actual punishment system in the rulebook for repeat offenders.

Both nits for nit talking about it.

yes, we need actual punishment for that kind of behavior in pool.

as well as in the forum for those that post nonsense and never a useful post.

excepting this post though.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate that attitude. I get it, but I think it sucks.
Play people you don't know in places you never been for real money and get back to me.

It's kill or be killed. This isn't like going to the school dance with your best girl.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Play people you don't know in places you never been for real money and get back to me.

It's kill or be killed. This isn't like going to the school dance with your best girl.
Character is character regardless of where you are. Some people are comfortable having less than others. Some people would rather their character never be questioned, regardless of what it costs them

tomatoshooter

I assume he made the money ball. If he had not made the money ball, I would assume this would not bother you as much …
What if he missed the money ball and the cue ball rolled over the template? That would debatably be a foul. I guess it's comparable to grabbing the cue ball before it's stopped rolling. We know it's not going to touch anything else, and you are acknowledging the foul, but if rather the ball do in its own than debate if it would have touched another ball.

tomatoshooter

And I fully admit the inconsistency about how I would feel if the template had the same effect but was on the spot
But isn't the rule that balls touching foreign objects on the table is a foul? If I knock a chalk onto the table, it's not a foul until a ball touches it. When the opponent moves the template, effectively he is placing it on the table. That's different than using the template as intended and letting it remain on the table, especially since that is often difficult to do without disturbing balls.

Calling a foul is probably a bit nitty, but it's also an intentional action that could lead to a foreseeable disagreement. You could even shark an opponent doing something like that, committing fouls that are just too nitty to call.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Been there, done that (very recently as a matter of fact). Still maintained my integrity, and called my own fouls. Even had one opponent thank me for my honesty.
I'll remember that a lot longer than I remember the $$.