Frozen cue ball to object ball question

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To void the foul stigma on a frozen cue ball, the CB and OB must be considered a single entity.
Nonsense. They're "considered" just what they are: two balls in contact.

"Behaving like" a single ball (both leaving the tip together) isn't the same as being "considered a single ball".

pj
chgo

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though it was frozen with cue ball?

A long time ago, I think there was a rule that shooting away from a frozen ball was considered a good contact, since they were touching already. I'm sure Mr Jewett would remember this rule better. In pool games at least, maybe it was a specific 14.1 rule? Not sure how this works in snooker either.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nonsense. They're "considered" just what they are: two balls in contact.

"Behaving like" a single ball (both leaving the tip together) isn't the same as being "considered a single ball".

pj
chgo
In normal play there is nothing to consider. Taken in context of the frozen ball exceptions, the rule is full of holes. As I recall, the rule has flip flopped a couple times over the years too.

Cuedup

The rule most people first learn about playing pool is you must hit your object ball.

But that doesn't apply when the balls are frozen.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rule most people first learn about playing pool is you must hit your object ball.

But that doesn't apply when the balls are frozen.
Yes. The rule is that if you make the frozen object ball move by shooting the cue ball at least partly into it, then you get credit for hitting it, even though someone could argue that you haven't exactly hit it.

Reactions: bbb

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A small nit here PT.... It's a hit only if it is to the advantage of the player. Shooting away from black when on reds is not a foul.

And to complete the idea.... At carom billiards what happens with a frozen ball depends on the game. You are never allowed to shoot into a frozen ball and you are not even allowed to shoot into a frozen rail. In the case of the cue ball frozen to an object ball, what happens depends on the game. At 3-cushion, the two balls are spotted at the shooter's option. At another form, you can either shoot away or have all three balls spotted, and at another form all three balls are spotted without option.
Didn’t know that about the carom rules….didn’t know it could be the player’s option.
Yeah, I failed to mention the hit/no hit situation…..it was a gaff bet years ago..freeze a cue ball to a red ball…freeze a black ball in front of another red ball…dead-in combo….bet on making a red…shoot the combo.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The other team captain was so sure it wasn’t a
Foul , not worth fighting about
I wish more people had this attitude. Good for you.
I'm all for sticking up for the rules, etc. but sometimes it's just better to let it go!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
there is a bigger discussion on the opposite actually, how often snooker players get away with push shots
Is there a video of some of the problem shots that seem to have been uncalled push shots?

(To complicate matters, the definition of a push shot at snooker is different from the definition at pool.)