Funny little Johnny Archer story....

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
A couple years ago, in a local tourney here with 1,000 added and a sizeable calcutta pool going, Archer shows up.
After the player auction, the TD announces some rules, as usual and then says "and a bonus! The player that knocks out Johnny Archer gets an extra $100!"

The room goes silent for a split second. Just enough time for me to yell "who's Johnny Archer?!!?"

We all laughed.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He actually played in it? Any spots or everyone played even? You are saying it was an open amateur local tournament and he shows up to play in it? Please clarify- Thanks

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He actually played in it? Any spots or everyone played even? You are saying it was an open amateur local tournament and he shows up to play in it? Please clarify- Thanks
Unless it was invitation only, these days with $1000 added to the purse, if the word gets around, that pretty much guarantees a number of relatively strong regional players including pro players could be showing up.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I found the comment in the opening post pretty damned funny...

Remembering a stream comment I read in a chat. SVB had shown in a regional open in Washington State, if I recall correctly. As he was making yet another break and run on an easy pockets table, some wag chatted "C'mon Shane, quit sandbagging. Show us what you can really do."

I almost had coffee out my nose on that one...

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
not every time but most times just a transfer of the local wealth to a top player.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
not every time but most times just a transfer of the local wealth to a top player.
Yep. Pros often do this in prep for a upcoming tourney in an area. Pick up a little expense coin.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
here is a short version of a long story regarding Johnny archer
i was at the first tunica event
i had a copy of shots moves and strategies by eddie robbins (i think or winning one pocket..i dont feel like going to look...sorry )
and was going around getting the autographs of the pros there
i am leaving the tournament room and shannon daulton is sitting with his wife and another couple
i ask shannon for his autograph
he tells me his pic is in the book
if i find it he would sign below it
so i look thru the book and find his pic and he signs it
as i am saying thank you
i look over at the other couple and it dawns on me
YOU ARE JOHNNY ARCHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WILL YOU SIGN MY BOOK TOO?
of course he said yes....:)
my point
during all my interaction with shannon he never said
I AM JOHNNY ARCHER ...DONT YOU WANT MY AUTOGRAPH?
very classy to me
(y)

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Yes, he played in it. I never said the words "open amateur local tournament" That's a lot of words.

It was a pool tournament, bro. There were a few heavy's in attendance that weekend, Johnny was one of 'em. Another guy by the name of Rod played in it. Rod went to the hill with Orcollo down in Florida a couple years ago, so yeah, some of these guys around here can play.

It's handicapped, and for what it's worth somebody got paid the hundo. I don't believe JA cashed that event. Doesn't mean he didn't stick around for lessons and action though. :cool:

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
here is a short version of a long story regarding Johnny archer
i was at the first tunica event
i had a copy of shots moves and strategies by eddie robbins (i think or winning one pocket..i dont feel like going to look...sorry )
and was going around getting the autographs of the pros there
i am leaving the tournament room and shannon daulton is sitting with his wife and another couple
i ask shannon for his autograph
he tells me his pic is in the book
if i find it he would sign below it
so i look thru the book and find his pic and he signs it
as i am saying thank you
i look over at the other couple and it dawns on me
YOU ARE JOHNNY ARCHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WILL YOU SIGN MY BOOK TOO?
of course he said yes....:)
my point
during all my interaction with shannon he never said
I AM JOHNNY ARCHER ...DONT YOU WANT MY AUTOGRAPH?
very classy to me
(y)
Good story, and yes very classy guy. Not that Shannon isn't haha.

Around 2010-2011 I Was playing in a big tourney, 10Ball, at Mr. Cues II, and my girl introduces me to Johnny, we're sitting just chatting about how the tournament is going. And Nick Varner stops to talk to him, sits opposite of me, and then all three of us are chatting!! (I'm a nobody in this scenario) It was absolutely surreal. We were just bullshitting about spin, the table conditions, who's playing good, talking smack about Buddy Hall, whatever came up we chatted about.

They both give me their autographs, and I have a match up next. About an hour and ten minutes later, I end up winning my match, some of the rail was watching and I get some applause (something I'm not used to) I look up at the rail, and who's in there clapping.....? Archer.

Classy indeed

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, he played in it. I never said the words "open amateur local tournament" That's a lot of words.

It was a pool tournament, bro. There were a few heavy's in attendance that weekend, Johnny was one of 'em. Another guy by the name of Rod played in it. Rod went to the hill with Orcollo down in Florida a couple years ago, so yeah, some of these guys around here can play.

It's handicapped, and for what it's worth somebody got paid the hundo. I don't believe JA cashed that event. Doesn't mean he didn't stick around for lessons and action though. :cool:
Fine- I was not knocking him- BRO! Pool tournaments come in many formats- it was just a question- if it is properly handicapped I'll play anybody - glad you enjoyed the day!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Johnny is all class. One of the stories I like to tell is how he and I played golf together during the Florida Flare Up, a 1996 PBT event i Fort Lauderdale. We played $2 skins and I beat him out of $10 by day's end.

... so I would tell people that I beat Johnny Archer out of $10 when I was in Florida. There are a few details I always left out, so as not to make the accomplishment sound less impressive. First, I never mentioned that we played golf, not pool. Second, his handicap was 5 and mine was 14, so he gave me a 9 stroke handicap. Finally, I lost it all and a little bit more to Jeremy Jones when he and I played golf the very next day. I caught Jeremy in the zone and when he shot 37 on the back nine, he raked in most of the admittedly small wager.

One of my fondest memories at Derby City is when I had lunch with Johnny Archer and Jerry Briesath. It was the year in which Johnny was to become eligible for BCA Hall of Fame induction, and he spoke to Jerry and I about how much induction would mean to him.

One can make a blanket statement that Johnny adds something special whenever he shows up at any pool event.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T
Fine- I was not knocking him- BRO! Pool tournaments come in many formats- it was just a question- if it is properly handicapped I'll play anybody - glad you enjoyed the day!
We’ve had pro players play in our weekly 9-ball handicapped tournament. Generally I just rank them one notch higher than our top ranked players, so if they play the way they are supposed to play, they should win, but they’ll have to earn it.

My feeling is that they play for a living, and if they’re going to make the effort to come play in our weekly tournament with our regulars, which is quite a treat for all of us, I’m not going to make it impossible for them to win.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Here's one of my Johnny Archer stories. Back in 2012 I was working in DWDM networking. I was a field engineer for ADVA, they're headquartered in peachtree? I think. Anyways, needless to say, I was in the greater Atlanta area a lot. I think I was there for like 3 months straight at one point. So we had this client that couldn't get their shit together so I was going to MBC and playing (and getting paid by my work) pretty much every day.

Every night I'd be playing with either Shawn Putnam or Donny Mills and me and a bunch of the local guys would play all the time also, Tommy something, I think he's out of Houston now, was one of them. So one night I'm waiting for Shawn to come in and Johnny's there standing by the bar and he calls me over to him. He says, Jaden, I swear you practice more than anyone I've ever seen.

So I say, "What about Shane"? He thinks for a second and then smirks and says "true".
I think that day I ended up playing for 12 and a half hours.

We also ended up playing a little bonus ball, Johnny and I. It was really hard to play Johnny when he was there because people were constantly coming up and talking to him.

I think the night we were playing bonus ball, he got to talking and Shawn had walked in and Shawn finally got tired of waiting for Johnny to actually play and said, Johnny dude, if you're not going to play, let me play Jaden.

I was ahead at the time, so I consider that a win...lol

Jaden

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny is all class. One of the stories I like to tell is how he and I played golf together during the Florida Flare Up, a 1996 PBT event i Fort Lauderdale. We played $2 skins and I beat him out of $10 by day's end.

... so I would tell people that I beat Johnny Archer out of $10 when I was in Florida. There are a few details I always left out, so as not to make the accomplishment sound less impressive. First, I never mentioned that we played golf, not pool. Second, his handicap was 5 and mine was 14, so he gave me a 9 stroke handicap. Finally, I lost it all and a little bit more to Jeremy Jones when he and I played golf the very next day. I caught Jeremy in the zone and when he shot 37 on the back nine, he raked in most of the admittedly small wager.

One of my fondest memories at Derby City is when I had lunch with Johnny Archer and Jerry Briesath. It was the year in which Johnny was to become eligible for BCA Hall of Fame induction, and he spoke to Jerry and I about how much induction would mean to him.

One can make a blanket statement that Johnny adds something special whenever he shows up at any pool event.
Hey, you are that guy that won money off of Archer down in Florida right? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

All kidding aside that is a cool story!

Reactions: sjm