Silver Member
what 1.jpeg

what 2.jpeg

what 3.jpeg

what 4.jpeg

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I had a new one in 1971 but it did not have a radiator. It was air cooled.
Gawd...am I really that old? Yeah, guess so...thought everybody knew that originally both VW's and Porsches were air cooled...although actually my 1972 911S Porsche was more oil than air cooled. Had lines running to a thermostat controlled oil radiator tucked into the passenger side front fender. Look closely, you might be able to see the lines running below the door in this shot of the car.
scottride04.jpg

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
nice car
never forgot the first time my porsche had to have an oil change
something like 10-15 quarts as i recall 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱
Most air cooled early 911's took 10 with filter. '72 was unique with 8 1/2 because the dry sump oil tank was placed ahead of the rear wheel for better weight distribution. They had to go back to the tank behind the rear wheel in '73 because of new USA side crash regulations. I loved that car, but as it became more valuable and sought after as a collectable I became more and more paranoid about it, which ruined the driving pleasure.
It was time for this old man to move on...

But yes..with a high oil capacity combined with a dry sump oiling system, the air cooled 911 models were as much oil cooled as air cooled.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No and no, that’s not it. My car’s engine is behind the seats but the radiator is in the front. Try again.
Isn't the buggy engine air-cooled?

edit: RickLafayette beat me to it. rats

second edit: everyone beat me to it. farts

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gawd...am I really that old? Yeah, guess so...thought everybody knew that originally both VW's and Porsches were air cooled...although actually my 1972 911S Porsche was more oil than air cooled. Had lines running to a thermostat controlled oil radiator tucked into the passenger side front fender. Look closely, you might be able to see the lines running below the door in this shot of the car.
View attachment 608182
My first car was a 2 cycle 3 cylinder 1963 Saab 96. I think my Dad bought it for me so I would be forced to learn how to work on cars due to the frequency with which it broke down. The last time the engine seized it got hauled to the crusher.