Gambling As Better Player

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Make matches lessons. Coach him. “What are you doing on this shot?” “Where are you expecting the CB to end up?” “Explain to me why you selected this shot.” Etc.
And that will probably make him hate your guts and he'll never play you again. Unsolicited advice is often unwelcome. I guess that gets you to the goal.

Unless the guy is missing his rent payments, play him, be polite, and try to beat him 5-0 every time.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put the winnings in a bank account. When the guy ends up broke or gets his life together and has kids, give him the money back. Your conscious will be clear, and he will have a good time drinking and gambling with you.

If he drinks and gambles with somebody else, and they take his money, how have you helped him?

dquarasr

Registered
And that will probably make him hate your guts and he'll never play you again. Unsolicited advice is often unwelcome. I guess that gets you to the goal.

Unless the guy is missing his rent payments, play him, be polite, and try to beat him 5-0 every time.
Unsaid was with the lesser player’s permission.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unsaid was with the lesser player’s permission.
Well, when I look at how the donor has behaved up to now, I wouldn't expect any positive reaction from him. Maybe the lesson thing is worth a try; it's at least a different tack.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a teammate that I gamble with very regularly and I would venture to guess that I have won over 95% of the matches we have played. We usually play for 50-100 and I almost always let him pick the game and the race. He refuses any type of spot from me no matter what I offer. He drinks a fair amount and I very very rarely drink when I play. It got so bad at one point that I just kept refusing to play. A few weeks later he kept kept barking and I finally agreed to play a race to 5 for 100. I won 5-0 and he paid as he always does. The next week comes around and he is barking again and we play again and I win again.

So my question here is I guess that I feel like I am taking advantage of it and dont really want to keep playing the guy even when he doesnt really have a chance. I would rather spot him and have to outrun whatever the spot is. I dont really think he is improving at all from our little sessions and know that it is doing my game no good because I hardly have to try to win against him. What to do? I mean I like the extra cash each week, but at some point I have to tell him to find someone else to play right?
If you’re friends have a chat. Or simply don’t play him. You seem to be an honorable person. If you’re uncomfortable bail out. Find a game you enjoy.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I have a teammate that I gamble with very regularly and I would venture to guess that I have won over 95% of the matches we have played. We usually play for 50-100 and I almost always let him pick the game and the race. He refuses any type of spot from me no matter what I offer. He drinks a fair amount and I very very rarely drink when I play. It got so bad at one point that I just kept refusing to play. A few weeks later he kept kept barking and I finally agreed to play a race to 5 for 100. I won 5-0 and he paid as he always does. The next week comes around and he is barking again and we play again and I win again.

So my question here is I guess that I feel like I am taking advantage of it and dont really want to keep playing the guy even when he doesnt really have a chance. I would rather spot him and have to outrun whatever the spot is. I dont really think he is improving at all from our little sessions and know that it is doing my game no good because I hardly have to try to win against him. What to do? I mean I like the extra cash each week, but at some point I have to tell him to find someone else to play right?
I'm not great. I'm decent and get better slowly all the time. Me every 6 months could give a spot to me 6 months ago. I much prefer to play better players. Of the 3 guys I play regularly, there is one that is just slightly below my current level. We're all improving. The other two just destroy me. I might catch a gear on them if they are having a bad day, but me losing is usually a foregone conclusion.

I want to win but I have to play 100% perfect. I don't gamble with them unless it's something cheap, like $5 race to 5 10 ball or maybe a race to 20 9B for $20. I might put $20 a month into gambling. Playing for $100 a set... nah. I'll gladly take the racking experience until my play is better than my racking, but $100 a set... nah.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not great. I'm decent and get better slowly all the time. Me every 6 months could give a spot to me 6 months ago. I much prefer to play better players. Of the 3 guys I play regularly, there is one that is just slightly below my current level. We're all improving. The other two just destroy me. I might catch a gear on them if they are having a bad day, but me losing is usually a foregone conclusion.

I want to win but I have to play 100% perfect. I don't gamble with them unless it's something cheap, like $5 race to 5 10 ball or maybe a race to 20 9B for $20. I might put $20 a month into gambling. Playing for $100 a set... nah. I'll gladly take the racking experience until my play is better than my racking, but $100 a set... nah.
I agree with this. That's logical. I think this guy's teammate fell into a trap... The Trap that some on here I have said many times... You have to gamble to get better. I think it's the other way around... You have to get better before you gamble!

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
what will happen he will get mad at you and lose the money or more to someone else and you get to sit on the side and watch it.

the only thing you change is where the money goes.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It’s his problem if he has too much pride to ask for a spot from you, which obviously he needs. I wouldn’t let it bother you if he keeps coming back for more. Obviously he’s enjoys the challenge and I’m guessing he can afford it, or he wouldn’t be doing it.

If you’re feeling guilty, my suggestion would be to take the $ that you win playing him and match up against another player, better than yourself. That would benefit your game significantly, and the worst you are likely to do is break even overall between the two of them.

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

Playing for $100 a set... nah
Yeah, $20/set is typically my limit. If I'm giving it to a better player the it's an okay price for a lesson. If we are playing at my house and I'm taking it from you then it's greens fees. If it's someone I match up well with I could go higher to make things interesting, but that's more money than I'm comfortable just throwing around for fun. Some people are comfortable throwing around a lot more, although I'd hope there is a reasonable chance of winning.

It’s his problem if he has too much pride to ask for a spot from you, which obviously he needs. I wouldn’t let it bother you if he keeps coming back for more. Obviously he’s enjoys the challenge and I’m guessing he can afford it, or he wouldn’t be doing it.
I play a friend and have won the last few times. Every time I think about giving him a spot he makes me work for the win.
If you’re feeling guilty, my suggestion would be to take the $ that you win playing him and match up against another player, better than yourself. That would benefit your game significantly, and the worst you are likely to do is break even overall between the two of them.
That's a super smart strategy for managing your gambling fund.

soyale

do you like this fellas company?

like, if it weren’t for pool, would y’all be able to sit through a coffee together?

im probably missing something since i dont gamble but i havent this solution posted yet….

just play the game together ? Race to 100 for a dollar?

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member

This guy will not take any advice that is unsolicited. He does ask for some help from time to time or why I played a shot a certain way and I really enjoy helping him with those things.

The guy has his life together, great job, wife, kids, house. He doesnt struggle for money at all. I also dont need the money at all. He doesnt gamble with anyone else, it is always me. This includes others on the team asking him to play. He is a decent friend of mine. If he said lets just play a while for fun I would play. If he called me tonight and said lets hang out we would hang out. I dont think he really has a problem with alcohol but he does enjoy it.

I think it is really just an issue where I almost feel bad for always taking his money since he is a decent friend. I have used the money to pay the tab for him or the team many times. I have tipped the server very well most of the time. We really get incredible service. I think for me that I am going to try and focus on beating him to a pulp as hard as I can so that I can hopefully gain a little more from it or he might finally accept a spot.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have a great customer. Well done!

As long as he is cool with it, play him. Win the cash. He’s getting something out of playing you that’s worth it for him. If he’s not mentally handicapped or senile, you should keep shearing the sheep until he doesn’t want it anymore-then adjust.

I’ve played better players and consistently lost small $, for the action and what I was learning. I’ve also had “customers” for what ever reason and never felt bad about winning when I knew they had zero chance.

Until he says “uncle” enjoy the the game and give him a good time. That’s winning pool. Isn’t that’s what it’s all about?

Best
Fatboy <———customer service agent🤓

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn’t that’s what it’s all about?
Clearly not, otherwise the OP wouldn't have raised the issue. You might be right though, maybe the OP "should" just chill with it. But it does sound like that's not their thing.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clearly not, otherwise the OP wouldn't have raised the issue. You might be right though, maybe the OP "should" just chill with it. But it does sound like that's not their thing.
Ok you are right!!!

Pool isn’t about winning or money

Man all these years I’ve been so stupid.

Thanks for the lesson, may I PayPal you $1000? I feel that I owe you for enlightening me.

Thx
Fatboy😘😘

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man all these years I’ve been so stupid.
No you haven't, but don't assume that others are. There are guys in their 90s who play every day, played every day, never played for money and love the game more than me, you and every other AZ poster. The thousand dollars? No thanks but you are more than welcome to give it to a good cause or a stripper or whatever.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No you haven't, but don't assume that others are. There are guys in their 90s who play every day, played every day, never played for money and love the game more than me, you and every other AZ poster. The thousand dollars? No thanks but you are more than welcome to give it to a good cause or a stripper or whatever.
I’m not down with the stripper thing, I can find on my own what I like. Don’t worry about me.

I know lots of people who don’t gamble, I’m not sure what being 90 has to do with anything, but hey that cool.

later bro…..