Gareth Potts vs SVB.. who wins?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Had", not "has" many world class players, "HAD" many world class players.

Once upon a time Corey Deuel, Rodney Morris, Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, and a few others "were" world class players, no doubt about it.

They no longer are and what AZB tracked back in the day is not relevant at present. Once upon a time Mike Sigel was the best player on the planet and he was American, does that mean America is "still" the best pool playing nation on the planet? Of course not, it would be a logical fallacy to attempt to claim so and your argument above is also a logical fallacy of the same form.
You are spot on , nobody outside of Shane is considered a threat to win a world title on a regular basis and even he's questionable ,, and if your not that your not a world class player and personal opinions won't make them one

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Was Ronnie Alcano considered a threat to win the World Championships? He came through the qualifiers to win it.

Was 16 year old Wu considered a threat when he won?

The World Championship is a tournament where any capable player can have a good run and win it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was Ronnie Alcano considered a threat to win the World Championships? He came through the qualifiers to win it.

The World Championship is a tournament where any capable player can have a good run and win it.

I said consistent threat ,, wining once does not make you a world class player ,,

There's been plenty of one time wonders in both golf and pool ,, t

Once is a happening twice is a occurrence three times is a trend

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

Those two are terrible examples. They are world class players and have proved themselves to be so not only in that event but ever since.

Neither one of those guys simply "had a good run" and won the event. Both proved then and ever since they are a force to be reckoned with in ever event they enter.

Let me help you out, Peach was a player that kind of actually is what you claim, a guy that a lot of people would not really see as "world class" but he had a great run in a world championships and won the event.

He is one of the few players I can remember that won a world championships and has not been terribly dominant in the game before or since.

Alcano and Wu though? No, they are terrible examples. Both were known as monsters in Asia before they won their worlds. Hell Wu did not win one, he won two. At 16 years old he was arguably the best player on the planet and was absolutely no doubt world class.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I said consistent threat ,, wining once does not make you a world class player ,,

There's been plenty of one time wonders in both golf and pool ,, t

Once is a happening twice is a occurrence three times is a trend

Wu and Alcano are not one time wonders. So now you have to win numerous world titles to be world class?

Are you the world class player police? If Wu and Ronnie are not then how in the F$&K is Darryl Peach??! Lol. Gimme a break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

John,

Out of the 5 players you listed on the previous page, I'll bet you $1,000,000 that neither Archer, Morris, Deuel, or Strickland ever win another world championship.

Now I don't have a million to bet, but I'm pretty damn comfortable I can air barrel you here and be okay.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wu and Alcano are not one time wonders. So now you have to win numerous world titles to be world class?

Are you the world class player police? If Wu and Ronnie are not then how in the F$&K is Darryl Peach??! Lol. Gimme a break

I agree I didn't say what I was referring to ,, the comment was meant for JBs comment about how anyone can win ,,,

Celtic

Silver Member
So now you have to win numerous world titles to be world class?

The whole comment that you actually "need" to win a world championships before you can be considered world class was simply idiotic and it is equally stupid to now be arguing assuming that is the reality of things.

SVB has not won a world championships. Anyone who thinks SVB is not world class "IS" a world class idiot.

Yang never won a world championship, anyone who thinks he was not a world class player in his prime is a fool.

There are a lot of players out there that are world class that have never won a worlds.

This was a hell of a troll thread though, the question asked about two elite players who are at the top of the game in their own respective areas of expertise asking which would win... They would each win in the game they excel at and specialize in. Period. End of discussion. This is so bloody obvious it boggles my mind people could argue that against it for 10+ freaking pages.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, you only infer it, based on a tournament on the other side of the world, on tables that are dramatically different than anything SVB plays on. You didn't actually "say" it.

The whole argument is silly, given that each player shows his stregnths on equipment that the other doesn't play on.

This is equipment that none of the invited players, Potts included, regularly play on.. Yet Potts has won it twice back to back..

Go figure... ;)

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not Americans... Not for years...

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I agree I didn't say what I was referring to ,, the comment was meant for JBs comment about how anyone can win ,,,

Fair enough

This thread has gone on drastically longer than I had imagined... Wowsers

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
The whole comment that you actually "need" to win a world championships before you can be considered world class was simply idiotic and it is equally stupid to now be arguing assuming that is the reality of things.

SVB has not won a world championships. Anyone who thinks SVB is not world class "IS" a world class idiot.

Yang never won a world championship, anyone who thinks he was not a world class player in his prime is a fool.

There are a lot of players out there that are world class that have never won a worlds.

This was a hell of a troll thread though, the question asked about two elite players who are at the top of the game in their own respective areas of expertise asking which would win... They would each win in the game they excel at and specialize in. Period. End of discussion. This is so bloody obvious it boggles my mind people could argue that against it for 10+ freaking pages.

I agree..

20+ pages... Lol

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we can all agree that SVB is the better player and it's not even close.

Well he is certainly better at american pool with your big woosey pockets an all..

So then, to recap back to the page one is of the thirty ish pages...

SVB would probably win at any american discipline.
GP would win at E8B (his first discipline) C8B and snooker. SVB cannot win at two of those in fact. He could practise for 10 years and still not win.

So then, in typical American "must have a massive advantage before engaging in a bet" they should play a match up to 3x AP disciplines and 1x C8B.

Tap tap tap tap.. amazing.

Moving on then, we have also now established that SVB is world class (though no one really disputed that in the first place) and he is in fact the only US world class player at the moment - capable of threatening the World Championhips, say..

Lastly, as a small side issue, the US Open is definitely not a world championships.

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe there is 30 pages of this thread!

Both Gareth and Shane are class players and both have cuesports/rule sets that they favour over others

English 8ball is close to dead. Gareth is the last truly great player who will come from that code. Less and less young english player are playing english 8 ball nowadays. Politics have ruined the game.

But history has shown that the best english 8ball players of the last decade can adapt to other cue sports. As well as Gareth, Chris Melling and Darren Appleton, you have Karl Boyes and Mick Hill.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
English 8ball is close to dead. Gareth is the last truly great player who will come from that code. Less and less young english player are playing english 8 ball nowadays. Politics have ruined the game.

Who told you that?

What a crock of shit lol....

Celtic

Silver Member

Attachments

• troll.png
    troll.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 102