GC1 Restoration Rail questions

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
Hello everybody , I have a couple of questions concerning pocket size , and rail rubber.
I heard that the GC1 has about a 5 inch pocket opening . That's not going to work. I would like to see it at 4 1/4 or 4 1/8 . What is the best way to accomplish without putting new sub rails on ?

2nd, I'm going to Put black diamond rubber on the rails . Can we just cut off the old Monarch rubber and put the Diamond rubber on ? Will I have to correct the angle after ? If not how to fix it ? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The best way to tighten a pocket opening is to do a subrail extension.

Stacking shims in the pocket opening as a way to tighten the pockets make the pockets play dead. I had a GC2 that was triple shimmed, hated it, and got the subrails extended when I was ready for new cushions.

Don't know enough about the profile of black rubber diamond cushions to know if they are a direct swap for a GC1. Considering that the GC 1 and 2's didn't support a direct swap of Brunswick's own cushions, leads me to think that there will be some subrail modifications that will need to be done.

The table should last you a lifetime, my advice is to do it right the first time.

Hello everybody , I have a couple of questions concerning pocket size , and rail rubber.
I heard that the GC1 has about a 5 inch pocket opening . That's not going to work. I would like to see it at 4 1/4 or 4 1/8 . What is the best way to accomplish without putting new sub rails on ?

2nd, I'm going to Put black diamond rubber on the rails . Can we just cut off the old Monarch rubber and put the Diamond rubber on ? Will I have to correct the angle after ? If not how to fix it ? Thank you in advance for your advice.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snip snip snip...
2nd, I'm going to Put black diamond rubber on the rails . Can we just cut off the old Monarch rubber and put the Diamond rubber on ? Snip snip

No. Have someone do it who knows what they are doing or it will never play right. Or leave it stock.

***I’m not a mechanic***

Just had this exact thing done to my GC1

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spend the money and do it right. You can shim a little bit but you're talking about a BUNCH. Table will play like shit. Get the sub-rails done and get good rubber.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

GCI has Superspeed Monarch cushions on it. Nobody makes this profile anymore, the sub-rails must be modified for current cushions and that is the perfect time to have your sub-rails extended, I went thru this stuff on my GC!.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As with AZB Member pocket, I just had this done to my Gold Crown I. The subrail angle will need to be modified to achieve the proper rail height and to maintain the correct 100"x50' playing surface dimensions. As Tony pointed out, the only way to properly tighten the pockets is to extend the subrails.

Unless you've done this work before, I would have a qualified professional do the work.

Side note: You'll love the Diamond Black rubber.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Problem with GC1 is , they were designed for Monarch cushions.
Different profile than K55.
Get a pro to re-angle and extend the subrail.

Diamond black cushions are much cheaper without the label at J and J.