Getting back into the game

yakes

Registered
I am getting back into the game after 20 years.

To make a long story short, I recently went on vacation with my family and the home we stayed in had a pool table. Both of my children loved the game and I have been "bitten" by the pool bug again.

I just bought a new 9' table and it will be delivered soon.

I used to play 2 to 3 times per week and considered myself above average. I was completely self taught.

After watching some instructional videos online I realized there is a lot I have done wrong in the past.

My main thought process now is that I would like to develop a good game. Since I have not played for a long time, I don't necessarily have any bad or good habits.

I was thinking of buying some instructional DVD's and playing with those for a few month's and then take a lesson.

My question is : Should I go forward with that plan or should I not do anything before taking a lesson?

Also, I live about an hour east of Memphis and 1.5 hours west of Nashville and would like to have a recommendation for an instructor.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Dave

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i too took off about 20 yrs. when trying to get back in the "groove" i watched many hours of instrcution thru the internet. i ordered instrructional dvds and worked on my game for months practicing 5 or so times per week. i can't seem to get my game backk to the level i was before but then i am almost as old as dirt now. it has nothing to do with my eyesight, just old i geuss. i took some lessons from a pro but that did not help very much other than watching him run out racks. i then contaced a local (atlanta) billiard school and with the 1st 2 hour lesson i knew what i was doing wrong (wrist movement to the inside just before "firing. that 2 hour lesson raised my level of play immediately. IMHO i would do the instructor first. get the fundementals fixed first and then follow up with all the helpful dvds. it is all about the love of the game, not much more. have fun getting better, i sometimes take it way too serious. :cool:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave...The main problem with the books and videos is that they cannot analyze what you're doing (or answer a question). Get a lesson with a qualified instructor (one who uses video analysis) and learn how to create your best stroke process. Tell us where you live and we can steer you to a qualified instructor.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

To make a long story short, I recently went on vacation with my family and the home we stayed in had a pool table. Both of my children loved the game and I have been "bitten" by the pool bug again.

I used to play 2 to 3 times per week and considered myself above average. I was completely self taught.

After watching some instructional videos online I realized there is a lot I have done wrong in the past.

My main thought process now is that I would like to develop a good game. Since I have not played for a long time, I don't necessarily have any bad or good habits.

I was thinking of buying some instructional DVD's and playing with those for a few month's and then take a lesson.

My question is : Should I go forward with that plan or should I not do anything before taking a lesson?

Also, I live about an hour east of Memphis and 1.5 hours west of Nashville and would like to have a recommendation for an instructor.

Dave

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave...In your region I would recommend Mark Wilson, St. Louis; Stan Shuffett, KY; Bob Nunley, AR; or me (I will come to you in your home, or your poolroom in TN).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start off right Take lessons. Choose any on Scott's list and be prepared to get blown away. Be ready for a long session too. I'm not saying that because you've not played for a while. Its just the how its gone for me. And worth every minute/penney

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry Kanov is in Nashville. He has two books, Precision Pool and Pool Player's Edge. He also gives private lessons.

Best,
Mike

Blackrose

Prophet Deadstroke
Getting back into the game after a long lay-off

[FONT="Times New Roman"[SIZE="5"]I had lasik surgery twice to get my eyes fixed and just got off of the phone with Randy G. in Dallas for a refresher course so I won't develop bad habits. Anything you THINK will help your game will help your game except for BAD fundamentals and WRONG instruction. Watch out. I'm back!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:[/SIZE][/FONT]

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
The Secret Art of Pool by Lee Brett

Buy Lee Brett's The Secret Art of Pool You won't regret it. He coaches the pros and has a great teaching style which is more like coaching. Its 2 and a half hours of very easy to understand, high quality information on the game of pool. He's also giving lessons at the Tunica tournament. There's a thread on here about it.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in Tunica right now..........

Dave

Hi there Dave,

I'm on the road teaching perfect Aim. Testimonials all over the world speak for themselves.

Just got done with lessons in Cape Girardeau and Memphis. Looks like I'm going to have to go back there. I've gotten about 9 calls for lessons in these 2 areas. Word of mouth from satisfied customers.

Call me for the Free Perfect aim lesson. IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU learn I'll set you up a time with the others.

No guarantees on going back there though but you should do the free phone lesson for sure.

Talk to you soon. 715-563-8712 After Monday. I'm trying to win a tournament right now. Pretty busy........