Getting Better...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how much the Sponsors are kicking in
A few guys make 80-120/yr in sponsor money. That’s a very short list. This is passive income. Not guys selling their own wears(they make a bit more)

Most make far less

Back before 08 there was a couple guys making just under 200/year in sponsor money. In 08 it really dried up for most players and it has never fully returned.

I’m not naming names

Best
Fatboy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a CPA, I would be on your side of that bet. :)
I arrived at that number by thinking about a few directors who might withhold some monies against the players will. Usually no $ is with held so it could be a tad lower actually.

Show me a pool player who pays taxes and I’ll show you someone who isn’t a pool player.

That how it really works. 99.68374% if the time.

Best
Fatboy <———pays his taxes, hmmmm🤔

Zerksies

I arrived at that number by thinking about a few directors who might withhold some monies against the players will. Usually no $ is with held so it could be a tad lower actually.

Show me a pool player who pays taxes and I’ll show you someone who isn’t a pool player.

Best
If you want to think about taxes. I'd find a way to write off money not given in tournament winnings from deadbeat directors.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
That's why Pat Fleming's Make It Happen tournaments were so great. The players had no expenses and got $1000 for each match they won, and added prize money for the tournament. I contributed for a number of years, but had to stop when my income became tight. I still have a lot of the best DVD from those tournaments, 14.1 and 8-Ball.

-dj

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best
Dont they have to get a 1099 by law?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont they have to get a 1099 by law?
If you make more than $600 from a specific group. Since the artistic pool division is an LLC, anyone who makes more than $600 in tournament winnings in a year I have to send a 1099 to. So if you a player won $50,000 total playing in the predator events, then they should get a 1099 from Predator.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool has a very long way to go- the most recent LPGA event two weeks ago here in Florida- first prize $2million - LAST PLACE woman golfer was paid $60K-- that is just ONE event.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The accountant of the farmer that leases 12 acres of my land, called me up last Feb to ask for my tax # as she was sending me a 1099 for a lousy $720 I charge him per year. He used to just pay cash. Told her I didn't have a tax #, and wasn't getting one as I wasn't a business and would just claim it as hobby income. That 1099 cost me $110 extra last year as we used to just do the free online taxes, and because of the 1099, we had to pay $110 extra for the different level of tax forms. There are hidden costs in these 1099's if you just have a simple tax return with no deductions.

SlateMan

Registered
Pool has a very long way to go- the most recent LPGA event two weeks ago here in Florida- first prize $2million - LAST PLACE woman golfer was paid $60K-- that is just ONE event.
I wonder how long it will be until more former PGA players transition to the LPGA events?