Getting kicked

Geosnookery

I keep a paper towel in two pockets on my table and after each rack I wipe the chalk off whatever balls are in those two pockets. Then I mark the cue ball and wipe the chalk off it. It only takes a few seconds.
I keep old socks and place them in each of the six pockets. It accomplishes two things.Firstly it dampens the noise when the balls sink. Second it absorbs some of the chalk dust and every so often I’ll wipe a ball down when taking it out of the pocket. When I brush the table I brush the debris into the pockets. I take out the socks...into the washing machine and replace. I‘ve also done the same with paper towels minus the washing.

Re the topic. Anyone know of a YouTube video compilation of obvious kick shots? At times I’m not as savy as many on what constitutes a kick. Snooker commentators claim to ‘hear’ it but my ears aren’t as in tune.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep old socks and place them in each of the six pockets. It accomplishes two things.Firstly it dampens the noise when the balls sink. Second it absorbs some of the chalk dust and every so often I’ll wipe a ball down when taking it out of the pocket. When I brush the table I brush the debris into the pockets. I take out the socks...into the washing machine and replace. I‘ve also done the same with paper towels minus the washing.

Re the topic. Anyone know of a YouTube video compilation of obvious kick shots? At times I’m not as savy as many on what constitutes a kick. Snooker commentators claim to ‘hear’ it but my ears aren’t as in tune.
A kick in snooker is what Americans refer to as a skid. Instead of rolling the object ball skids for some distance after contact with the cue ball.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
A kick in snooker is what Americans refer to as a skid. Instead of rolling the object ball skids for some distance after contact with the cue ball.

If you watch the video you posted you'll notice in every example the OB hops after contact. This is a kick. A skid in literal terms is what happens every time you play a shot center ball. What "roll" the OB picks up is due to friction with the cloth. Not sure why a kick in snooker (hop) would be referred to as a skid in American pool.

In my limited mental capacity I consider a kick constituting a vertical "pop". A skid only having a horizontal negative component. I personally never refer to anything "skidding", and opt to use only kick.

In either case the cause is some material, chalk, hair, dirt managing to interfere with direct CB to OB contact

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you watch the video you posted you'll notice in every example the OB hops after contact. This is a kick. A skid in literal terms is what happens every time you play a shot center ball. What "roll" the OB picks up is due to friction with the cloth. Not sure why a kick in snooker (hop) would be referred to as a skid in American pool.

In my limited mental capacity I consider a kick constituting a vertical "pop". A skid only having a horizontal negative component. I personally never refer to anything "skidding", and opt to use only kick.

In either case the cause is some material, chalk, hair, dirt managing to interfere with direct CB to OB contact
I think a good analogy, is when you turn the steering wheel when driving on ice, the car has a tendency to continue traveling in it‘s original direction (‘skid’), at a lesser angle than expected (as on dry pavement). Even though the CB is rolling when it contacts the OB on a cut shot, if the balls are polished, the resulting angle the OB takes is little different from when the CB isn’t rolling yet (?). Thus when the balls are sticky and contact is made on a chalk mark, the OB ‘skids’ on the cloth (deviating from it’s expected carom angle). Do snooker playing drivers use a different term?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So when Harriman said he got a kick what exactly did he mean?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So when Harriman said he got a kick what exactly did he mean?
I can't speak to what Harriman actually meant. However a "kick" for me means the CB and OB reacted in an incorrect manner during contact. We all know that a given point of contact with whatever applied action to the CB should result in the OB heading in a given direction. Any variance from that can be construed as a kick. I have seen many people blame kicks for shots that were just poorly aimed.

Usually kicks can be heard by the player. In really bad cases, they can be seen hoping like in the posted video.

Kick, skid, slide, stealing home base.... It all means the same thing in the end.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I can't speak to what Harriman actually meant. However a "kick" for me means the CB and OB reacted in an incorrect manner during contact. We all know that a given point of contact with whatever applied action to the CB should result in the OB heading in a given direction. Any variance from that can be construed as a kick. I have seen many people blame kicks for shots that were just poorly aimed.

Usually kicks can be heard by the player. In really bad cases, they can be seen hoping like in the posted video.

Kick, skid, slide, stealing home base.... It all means the same thing in the end.
me skid at 352 had nothing to do with who's on first - but more to do with what's on 2nd. As I have statd already the skid that occured against me was extremely unusual, not like the snooker diagram (inside spin) - as I was using helping (outside)spin. We have to learn to laugh at insanity - a fellow walks into grocery store with the b.s. big pharma directional traffic arrows on the floor. The store clerk said "Sir yer walking in the wrong direction, can you not see the arrows"? The Man replied " I never even saw the Indians". :cool:

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member

There may be a possibility that human error could cause a skid as well - 1 of the only conclusions I can come up with for my outside spin skid at 352. Either way - I am finished employing the measles cue ball - that cue ball - like the bca's hidden chopped video of 626 - may have some factory flaws.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member

way to sock it to em Geosnookery - maybe I will try some holy socks. :cool:

Beastboy1021

A spectator/railbird might remember a specific shot and tell others about it later on, but the only shots the player remembers distinctly are the ones that end a run or lose a game.

Last edited: