Getting Real

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard of a veteran not knowing what might be fact one about 8 ball though I think no loss on an out of sequence 8 is a better rule than APA's any pocket ayy rule.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard of a veteran not knowing what might be fact one about 8 ball though I think no loss on an out of sequence 8 is a better rule than APA's any pocket ayy rule.
If you refer to me not knowing...there is literally no 8b played around my area, outside of leagues.

I have certainly played it occasionally throughout the years, but that has been at rinky dink tourneys where they have tweaked rules.

I wanted to know 'real' rules coz I thunk I had a good power move.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you refer to me not knowing...there is literally no 8b played around my area, outside of leagues.

I have certainly played it occasionally throughout the years, but that has been at rinky dink tourneys where they have tweaked rules.

I wanted to know 'real' rules coz I thunk I had a good power move.
What are real rules anyway? BCA or whatever the World A would do they're all pretty standard. The variations can be clarified as required.

In a local league before the plague, scratching on the 8 was just ball in hand unless the 8 dropped as well. lol Another technicality they had was balls frozen to the cue ball could not be "struck" and therefore they did not exist. Case in point if a guy was on the 8, say a hanging duck and you froze him to your ball, he could legally play a push billiard on the 8 for the win.

What is your master stroke?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think in depends on the table. As a kid (18 in NY) playing in bars on coin-op it was always 8 on the break wins. No one knew what nine ball was, much less 9/6. Because of the tight tables 6.5' you could combo off anything but the eight. An OB carom off the eight was good.

The only call you had to make was the eight. Depending on the bar, if you missed the pocket on the eight you lost. Others you lost your turn.

I would practice in a pool hall near home in NJ. Nobody played eight or nine ball that I ever saw. It was straight pool only. I could never hang with any of those players, holy smokes they called every freakin' shot on a nine foot table!

Now in my advanced age I have a 9' Gold Crown and a 6.5 Valley in the basement. Call shot eight ball on the big table and bar rules on the little one. But since it's so congested mostly it's 9 ball because the coin-op is disconnected. I keep the magnetic cue ball on the table as a training plan so I'm familiar with the feel. Ya never know.
So you only had one shot at the 8?? Make it without scratching and you win, miss while on the 8 and its game over, you lose???? Lets say you broke, ran down to the 8 but hooked yourself in the process, could you foul by hitting in one of your opponents balls and possibly come back the next inning to make the 8??

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fastone, I know it sucks but some bars had strange rules. Just like calling and even marking a pocket, then bank three rails to get around the blockers, making the ball, then getting called on it. "Hey, you didn't call those rails" Drunks have strange rules too. You have to be a regular.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are real rules anyway? BCA or whatever the World A would do they're all pretty standard. The variations can be clarified as required.

In a local league before the plague, scratching on the 8 was just ball in hand unless the 8 dropped as well. lol Another technicality they had was balls frozen to the cue ball could not be "struck" and therefore they did not exist. Case in point if a guy was on the 8, say a hanging duck and you froze him to your ball, he could legally play a push billiard on the 8 for the win.

What is your master stroke?
His master stroke? He won a state bar table championship.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what ruleset I thought was at hand. I was playing both sides in my basement, solo.

I still think it is b.s. that one can win without taking a shot.
You can lose without getting a chance also. Little like having your frame snap.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rule you need to know is a rule of thumb....if you’re on the 8 and your opponent has lots of balls left...
...you better make or you’re a huge underdog.
His master stroke? He won a state bar table championship.

...hmmm,
verbiage of a sleeper?
politely coy?

no no, not sand bagging,
would never suggest that...

I'm trying to recall...?
was it spots or dots that he didn't see a need for...

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what ruleset I thought was at hand. I was playing both sides in my basement, solo.

LOL. BB, its no difference that your opponent making the 8 in 9 ball and scratching ! Your opponent takes ball in hand and makes the 9......most times he doesn't even shoot the 9. 1 foul is a terrible way to bet your $$$$$$ !
Pushout forever !!!
lolol

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. BB, its no difference that your opponent making the 8 in 9 ball and scratching ! Your opponent takes ball in hand and makes the 9......most times he doesn't even shoot the 9. 1 foul is a terrible way to bet your $$$$$$ !
Pushout forever !!!
lolol
That's what I been saying!

But really, the shot I pictured was solids'.

I was going to make a good hit on a solid not pictured and then carom in the 8, leaving the cb jacked up in the corner, while 8 spotted at the other end.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's a normal 8 ball rule, in every official rule set I have ever seen the 8 made out of turn is a loss. It's about as common of a rule across rulesets as there is.

eg9327

since few have or know the rules in bars you have to go by the local rules that they play. and of course change to their advantage most times.
so simply have enough the best of it so no rules can turn your game into a losing one. which is almost always the case in a bar.
just let them do what they want and beat them anyway.
When I ask most will just say "bar table rules", which usually fairly standard. Even so, be prepared to give away at least one game on rules, unless you just love to argue. One instance I recall in particular playing "bar table rules" and in the first game was over the 8 ball about to win, when my opponent announced it had to go "clean". Usually it's called shot, so I just have to announce whether it kisses or not. He would have no part of that. As the balls lay the only possible shot was a kiss. I threw the $5 on the table and thanked him for his time.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
many times the locals dont call all those funny rules on each other unless they are playing someone they dont know for money.
so it doesnt come up often, except when you show up and get a game. usually i just bunt them around the first few games to see if i am a sure winner then if so let them do what they want to me. if its closer clarify all the rules. but rarely do you find someone that can ever beat you so it really doesnt matter.
and if so he is a pool room player so knows the ropes.