Ginacue on Ebay

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Has anyone else seen this? If it's a Gina, it looks like a big one, but it's got some issues that will certainly drive the price down.

Most significantly, it's been repaired at what looked to be a break in the forearm, and the seller stated to me that Ernie didn't do the repair and doesn't know who did. No telling if the cue was shortened at the break point or if they added a piece of maple or something. I presume it's also been refinished, and not by Ernie either based on how the repair was done. Note also the stain of the maple - not sure that was original or not.

It also has the initials "D.H." engraved. The Seller's listing states that Ernie told him he made it for a "world straight pool champion," but the seller cannot remember the name. I don't recall David Howard being a 14.1 player, and this is from the 70s allegedly, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what world champion DH could be, assuming this story is even accurate.

I emailed Ernie about it last night and didn't get a response as of the time of this post - he's probably gotten more than a few emails on this item.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-vintage-1970s-Ginacue-Gina-pool-cue/154329262902?campid=5335988529

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Danny Harriman?
Has anyone else seen this? If it's a Gina, it looks like a big one, but it's got some issues that will certainly drive the price down.

Most significantly, it's been repaired at what looked to be a break in the forearm, and the seller stated to me that Ernie didn't do the repair and doesn't know who did. No telling if the cue was shortened at the break point or if they added a piece of maple or something. I presume it's also been refinished, and not by Ernie either based on how the repair was done. Note also the stain of the maple - not sure that was original or not.

It also has the initials "D.H." engraved. The Seller's listing states that Ernie told him he made it for a "world straight pool champion," but the seller cannot remember the name. I don't recall David Howard being a 14.1 player, and this is from the 70s allegedly, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what world champion DH could be, assuming this story is even accurate.

I emailed Ernie about it last night and didn't get a response as of the time of this post - he's probably gotten more than a few emails on this item.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-vintage-1970s-Ginacue-Gina-pool-cue/154329262902?campid=5335988529

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Danny Harriman?
So Ernie did email me back, and confirmed it was one of his. Claimed it is a 1 of 2 he made between 1965-68. He said he would have to find the invoice, but he should have it. I told to him not to bother since I didn't buy it and didn't want to trouble him for something that I don't own. The winning bid was $4.5K.

It's possible the "made for World Champion" was not correct, or it was added after. But I don't think Danny was around at that time. As intriguing as the cue was, I couldn't justify the price it wound up at, since it seemed like Ernie didn't want to touch the cue anymore after someone else had repaired it. The Seller stated that "it sat around Ernie's shop for years with no work done to it." Red flag for me - my experience with Ernie, while limited, did not lead me to believe Ernie would do that without there being some kind of issue he had.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
read the story, saw the auction, wild. Seriously, we need industry standard x-ray machines.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Ernie did email me back, and confirmed it was one of his. Claimed it is a 1 of 2 he made between 1965-68. He said he would have to find the invoice, but he should have it. I told to him not to bother since I didn't buy it and didn't want to trouble him for something that I don't own. The winning bid was $4.5K.

It's possible the "made for World Champion" was not correct, or it was added after. But I don't think Danny was around at that time. As intriguing as the cue was, I couldn't justify the price it wound up at, since it seemed like Ernie didn't want to touch the cue anymore after someone else had repaired it. The Seller stated that "it sat around Ernie's shop for years with no work done to it." Red flag for me - my experience with Ernie, while limited, did not lead me to believe Ernie would do that without there being some kind of issue he had.

I would not have made the same assumptions as you.

I’d be inclined to think the cue sat due to that whole legal incident.

Looks like a pretty straightforward break and repair.

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I would not have made the same assumptions as you.

I’d be inclined to think the cue sat due to that whole legal incident.

Looks like a pretty straightforward break and repair.
Ah good point. Still didn’t want to buy a broken and repaired Gina Ernie won’t work on.