Glasses aren't just for the vision impaired

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was curious if anyone has used or seen anyone using glasses for playing billiards, I mean spectacles specifically for shooting? I've seen videos of Strickland using glasses and there's a player here that uses glasses that are built up so the prescription is the same as his normal viewing glasses but he can play without having to "look over" his regular ones. Part of the reason I am asking is because I've found a company that makes glasses for serious video gamers, they are supposed to reduce eye strain and help "endurance" I was curious if something like that would be beneficial to pool players, I posted the link below if anyone is interested

http://www.gunnars.com

midnightpulp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was curious if anyone has used or seen anyone using glasses for playing billiards, I mean spectacles specifically for shooting? I've seen videos of Strickland using glasses and there's a player here that uses glasses that are built up so the prescription is the same as his normal viewing glasses but he can play without having to "look over" his regular ones. Part of the reason I am asking is because I've found a company that makes glasses for serious video gamers, they are supposed to reduce eye strain and help "endurance" I was curious if something like that would be beneficial to pool players, I posted the link below if anyone is interested

I need some pool playing glasses in a serious way. It doesn't look like the Gunnar frames are big enough for players who like to get down near the shaft of the cue.

If you sight that way, you need some massive frames, like Karen's.

682px-Karen_Corr.jpg

Any one out there have any suggestions? Seems like Lenscrafters and such don't make huge frames like this anymore.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried those pool classes from Canada, in that blog, and they are simply horrible.
Yes....as usual you seem to need a disclaimer every time you speak your
mind here.... FOR ME that is.
Just the worst junk ever.......FOR ME

Best is contacts. If you can get used to them.....FOR ME that is.

J0HN0

Registered
I'm long sighted so I now have to wear glasses all the time (looking at PC, reading, menus etc) but I also don't like playing pool in them due to the aforementioned "looking over the top of them" while shooting.
I now use the "1 a day" soft contact lenses, for me they're great, basically like having your vision back, if I put them in standard lens fluid I get a few weeks out of them before I can tell they're ready for the bin (I'm only wearing them for a few hours per night).
Once you get into a routine for getting them in and out (which is a faff at 1st) basically you forget they're there.
They work well for me, I'd recommend.

Best regards.

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the player I mentioned that has specific glasses, imagine a normal pair but with a top to the frame, they are held just by the sides and bottom and a extended upwards just enough to so he can see normally while playing, as in built upwards. Made specifically for him

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
luckily my local optometrist had a father addicted to pool so he was familiar with what I wanted. I asked for a prescription that would improve my poor eyesight but only at a distance from 2 feet to 10 ft.......that is exactly what I got and then picked out the frames that were as large as what you see on Karen. I did not have to change my stance either. so be specific. I wear eyeglasses for reading but the pool glasses were done so well that I can't read with them on. after 2 years my eyes got a little worse and I just recently had to change the prescription and they work!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I had a pair of the Billiard glasses from Canada, for a while. I never really got used to them and I felt a tad self-conscious in them. They're not what I would call stylish, that's for sure.
I only have problems with long shots, anyway. When someone leaves me with a shot from the head rail, the object ball I'm shooting at always has a bit of a ghost to it, so I simply shoot at the ghost. :smile:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to have a pair made specifically for pool and was a little disappointed with the results. They were fine for close shots but at 8 to 9 feet they started getting fuzzy. I think the idea may be ok just a little difficult to accomplish.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
About 6 months ago I got contacts for distance. I usually wear bifocals so even though the contacts are in I still need reading glasses for close up. The distance contacts are absolutely amazing for pool. I can see the table clear as can be and I even have an astigmatism in my left eye which the contacts take care of. I put them in when I leave the house to play and take them out when I get back home. No ore glasses when playing pool.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I tried making glasses specifically for shooting pool. The lenses would sit high, similar to the ones Karen is using. Unfortunately, due to the vision correction I need being totally different in each eye, none of my glasses will work properly unless I am looking through the center of the lenses. Otherwise I get a severe double image.

I finally went and got contacts specifically for pool that work best in the 3 to 8 foot range but also pretty good at longer distances. Can't see close too well with them but they have been serving their purpose for pool quite effectively.

BTW, your thread title doesn't really make sense because except for cosmetic use only (which we're not talking about here) glasses ARE just for the vision impaired.

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, your thread title doesn't really make sense because except for cosmetic use only (which we're not talking about here) glasses ARE just for the vision impaired.

No that's just how the thread is progressing, I originally mentioned the glasses designed for video gamers, how they were supposed to help alleviate eye strain which can be a part of pool if you play for hours at a time

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use shooting (gun) glasses made by Randolph Engineering. The height adjusts at the bridge. They are very well made and Randolph makes frames for the military as well.

No that's just how the thread is progressing, I originally mentioned the glasses designed for video gamers, how they were supposed to help alleviate eye strain which can be a part of pool if you play for hours at a time

I looked into gunnars a while back because I do a lot of design in computer modeling.

The reviews said that they found no benefit for their intended use and for those who didn't normally wear glasses the other downsides were not worth it.

Pool isn't something that is subject to eye strain for someone who doesn't need glasses. I have shot pool until nearly every part of me was tired, my eyes never were.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to have a pair made specifically for pool and was a little disappointed with the results. They were fine for close shots but at 8 to 9 feet they started getting fuzzy. I think the idea may be ok just a little difficult to accomplish.
The guy who make my glasses plays pool and has a table in his house and knows players. He has a good understanding of what is needed from making glasses even for himself. You just need someone who knows what he is trying to accomplish. Your guy is just guessing.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use shooting (gun) glasses made by Randolph Engineering. The height adjusts at the bridge. They are very well made and Randolph makes frames for the military as well.

I looked at their web site and they look prety good. They all seem to be tinted. Do you get them tinted or are you just buying the frames and taking them to your own guy.

I wonder if tinting would have any effect either + or -? I have had to start wearing a ball cap because of glare from the table lights where I play.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm telling you guys. Get contacts. They do amazing things with contacts now. Imagine seeing perfectly to play pool without glasses.