Go easy on yourselves.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will share something I learned about the game of pocket billiards, which most players already know. It is *not* like riding a bicycle. I have never played golf so I have no basis for comparison, but I will say that in order to be successful at this game you have to practice constantly. "Staying in stroke" is probably one of the most important characteristics of a successful player.

Think about it. You have to let one ball contact another at the correct angle, with the correct speed, paying attention to both balls in the process. Think of how many physical aspects go into playing a shot properly.

What we accomplish on the table is really quite remarkable. Imagine what a lesser player must think when they see you draw the ball more than a foot, or come off three rails for proper shape on the next shot.

Why am I saying all of this? Because I firmly believe we ALL need constant reminders of just how good we are. Yes, many of us have been playing for years, winning small events here and there. But too many times we hold ourselves to the standards of the elite class and we bring ourselves down in the process. Not all of us, mind you, but many.

The painful truth is that we do not practice enough. It really is that simple. What constitutes good practice is another discussion for another time.
Sorry for the "blog-like" post but this is just a brain dump that occurred to me as I sit here contemplating my next move.

My final point is this. Be nicer to yourselves and easier on yourselves about your abilities. Stand in your own truth about where you really want to be and where you want this game to take you, and ENJOY it.

You are a great player, relish the moment.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Think about it. You have to let one ball contact another at the correct angle, with the correct speed, paying attention to both balls in the process. Think of how many physical aspects go into playing a shot properly.

What we accomplish on the table is really quite remarkable. Imagine what a lesser player must think when they see you draw the ball more than a foot, or come off three rails for proper shape on the next shot.

This is why I am in awe of the game when played by some of the best. They can get out-of-line and get right back to where they need to be with the very next shot using a perfect combination of English, ball speed, and still pocket the intended ball. And the consistency that they do this is mind-blowing.

But you are absolutely correct....it's nothing like riding a bike. Bicycles have centrifugal force doing most of the work for you. In pool, you have to do all of the work yourselves.

Funny, this is the second time today that I have heard this phrase (not like riding a bicycle).

Maniac

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Absolutely right inside. Absolutely right.

In the end the goal of the game is to have fun attempting to push our limits to overcome the adversity in front of us. That is it. If we always succeed we aren't taking on meaningful challenges which isn't interesting and doesn't push us to our limits.

It's too easy to get in trouble by comparing. Comparing your game to a pros. Comparing your game today to yesterday's performance. Comparing to a friends. Comparing to a rivals. It's all nonsense.

Too often people set a new record, win an event, play their personal best. That is definitely fun. But then they equate FUN with PLAYING GOOD. Now they are like junkies, trying to get their fix of FUN, but terrified that they won't play good and then won't have fun. Oh no! So they make themselves miserable trying to play better so they can have fun. How stupid is that?!?!?!?

It's a lot like life really. People make themselves miserable chasing things to try to be happy. Just stop and look around at the miracle right now. Right?

My goal is to have fun every time I play. Somedays it's very challenging. It doesn't feel good to struggle, to miss, to fall short, to be distracted, to lose. But after you've played a million matches you learn that it's all part of the game, and if you check your ego and relax a bit you can just go with the flow and still have fun playing. Funny enough, having fun is the best way to get back in stroke. Just look at how it worked for Scott Frost :O (too soon?)

When you play to have fun you win as soon as you screw your cue together.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will share something I learned about the game of pocket billiards, which most players already know. It is *not* like riding a bicycle. I have never played golf so I have no basis for comparison, but I will say that in order to be successful at this game you have to practice constantly. "Staying in stroke" is probably one of the most important characteristics of a successful player.

Why am I saying all of this? Because I firmly believe we ALL need constant reminders of just how good we are. Yes, many of us have been playing for years, winning small events here and there. But too many times we hold ourselves to the standards of the elite class and we bring ourselves down in the process. Not all of us, mind you, but many.

The painful truth is that we do not practice enough. It really is that simple. What constitutes good practice is another discussion for another time.
Sorry for the "blog-like" post but this is just a brain dump that occurred to me as I sit here contemplating my next move.

My final point is this. Be nicer to yourselves and easier on yourselves about your abilities. Stand in your own truth about where you really want to be and where you want this game to take you, and ENJOY it.

Great post. There is a really good pool book, "The Pleasure of small Motions", that follows your train of thought. Enjoying the process and not getting too caught-up in the outcome is what allows one to play well. Another great read is Gallwey's "Inner Tennis", one of the best tutorials on freeing-up your right-brain to just "do" and not worry about how or why.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nicely stated.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Curtis if you happen to see my arm I sawed off after I spit the bit against Brett and return it to me I'd appreciate it lol .. glad to see you posting again ,,

Last edited:

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curtis if you happen to see my arm I sawed off after I spit the bit against Brett and return it to me I'd appreciate it lol .. glad to see you posting again ,,

Please explain what "spit the bit" means. I am guessing it has to do with horses?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please explain what "spit the bit" means. I am guessing it has to do with horses?

it the bit" is a colloquialism used in the horse racing world to describe a horse that is. "short" or begins to lag in a race, and backs off the "pull" on the reins, indicating to the jockey that. the horse is tiring and no longer eager to be at the head of the field. 2.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Great opening post Inside. I can tell right away when I have been away from the table for a couple days, everything feels a little "off" until I hit a few dozen shots. I try to play everyday, I have a lot to make up for because I have only been playing a short time. 6 years in a I still find it fun to go down to my table and try to run racks everyday. It would probably be more productive if I did drills but I think even just running racks is good practice.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Einstein always is best. And yes, Billiards is harder than a lot of other things.
Only downside is, even a complete fool can be rather successfull by using "feeling".

Cheers!
M (who did a couple of very excellent, Snooker-style long potts with stun-run through last time)

citation%2Beinstein%2Bbillard.jpeg

74c4ba5ff6c04116818d113f264deefd.jpg

Last edited: