Gold Crown 1 Sub Rail modification.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would the subrails on a gold crown tournament edition work? I know that they have tighter pockets. Not sure about the angles.
Yes. GC1, GC2, and early GC3's had different geometry on the subrail, and would need to be modified for the modern SuperSpeed cushions (or any other modern K-55 profile). Late GC3, GC4, GC5, GC6, are all the same and work out-of-the-box with the SuperSpeed cushions that can be bought today.

Pretty please with a cherry on top put superspeed on any GC. You’ll still have to adjust the angle of the wood for a GC1. Cobra can help you with those angles.
I really appreciate the help brother! As you requested, I'll put superspeed on if I can get some help in completing this project. I have a 1905 9 foot pro Brunswick. It's got CPBA cloth, K55 superspeeds with 4.25 pockets. Up grading to a 9 foot GG1 that I'm pick up very very cheap.Gonna do a total restoration on it. I'd like to get this one as good as it gets! Thanks fellas!

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
+1 on hitting up RealKingCobra......He did my GC (many years ago now) and actually replaced the sub rail wood and used a different kind of wood than what comes original on the GCs.....I can't for the life of me remember what kind of wood it was though....He said it played more consistent through weather changes....He also extended the sub rails....re-cut the pocket angles....AKA "Diamonized" it...

He asked me how I wanted it to play...I said not stupid hard and not stupid easy......This is what he gave me........Years later I sent the measurements in on Dr. Dave's Hardness scale thread and it turns out it is a 1.0 on the hardness scale......so...dead square right on "medium".
pocket.jpg

+1 on hitting up RealKingCobra......He did my GC (many years ago now) and actually replaced the sub rail wood and used a different kind of wood than what comes original on the GCs.....I can't for the life of me remember what kind of wood it was though....He said it played more consistent through weather changes....He also extended the sub rails....re-cut the pocket angles....AKA "Diamonized" it...

He asked me how I wanted it to play...I said not stupid hard and not stupid easy......This is what he gave me........Years later I sent the measurements in on Dr. Dave's Hardness scale thread and it turns out it is a 1.0 on the hardness scale......so...dead square right on "medium".
View attachment 741967
How can I get in touch with Cobra?

He’ll probably see the thread. He likes calling on the phone and will talk you through the options. He’s super good!
Thank you brother!
I can summon him for you....
"Diamond ball polisher....Diamond ball polisher....Diamond ball polisher"
😂
“Ask a mechanic” it’s a sub forum here
Let me apologize kind sir....
“Ask a mechanic” it’s a sub forum here

sneaky_pete

Registered
I just reworked my late production GC1 that had some of the updates like floating nut plates, levelers etc. I replaced the original dried out superspeed cushions with new ones and didn't touch the sub-rail angle and it plays great, banks as it should. If you have any interest in DIY and don't want to attempt a sub-rail mod you'll likely be fine as I was. On the other hand if you pay RKC to do it might was well get it tweaked perfect. Just saying it's not really a 100% required modification as some make it sound.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Why tag him? He's just going to come on yelling.

I offered to help a local older lady by moving a table she wanted for free, and his tirade about me being a hack was profound, because I wasn't "finishing the job" and other stream of consciousness nonsense

Expect more of the same, every post now is him just ranting

His ego has far outgrown his usefulness