Gold crown 3 upgrades

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Superspeeds are K55 as well. Only GCII and earlier need the sub rails modified for modern K55 cushions.
Yes , because the I and the II had Monarch cushions.
Diamond used Super Speed for a while..Had the same profile as GC3.
People blue labeling their GC3 or GC4 are ruining them imo.. Let's not ask Mark Gregory on that
.lol
A friend had a GC3 . We replaced his cushions with cheap black cushions from JnJ ..Same ones Diamond puts their name on..
Too fast of a cushion for bar boxes imo.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Wouldn't that then be the reason the reds and blues play differently rather than the Artemis cushions then??
Yes.
But, the red label would be fine with Super Speed.
Without modifying the rails and spending hundreds or a thousand and more .

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Yes.
But, the red label would be fine with Super Speed.
Without modifying the rails and spending hundreds or a thousand and more .
I cant agree or disagree as I have never played on one set up that way. What I do know is that my GCI set up with the correct sub-rail angle for the Artemis Intercontinental K66 (I think that is the one that is the same profile as a K55) plays about spot on as possible to a blue label 9' Diamond. That's mainly using multi rail kicks/banks and simple single rail banks to compare the 2. Sending the cue up and down the table both are 4 3/4 to 5 table lengths. If I were to have my rails done now I would probably use Superspeeds because that seems what everyone is using now but I wouldn't expect much difference in the way the table plays. Before I had my rails done I spoke with Mark Gregory about doing mine, at that time he was also installing Artemis cushions. The only reason I didnt send my rails to Mark is that his time frame was 8-12 weeks at that time, I didnt want to be that long without my table.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I cant agree or disagree as I have never played on one set up that way. What I do know is that my GCI set up with the correct sub-rail angle for the Artemis Intercontinental K66 (I think that is the one that is the same profile as a K55) plays about spot on as possible to a blue label 9' Diamond. That's mainly using multi rail kicks/banks and simple single rail banks to compare the 2. Sending the cue up and down the table both are 4 3/4 to 5 table lengths. If I were to have my rails done now I would probably use Superspeeds because that seems what everyone is using now but I wouldn't expect much difference in the way the table plays. Before I had my rails done I spoke with Mark Gregory about doing mine, at that time he was also installing Artemis cushions. The only reason I didnt send my rails to Mark is that his time frame was 8-12 weeks at that time, I didnt want to be that long without my table.
Except Mark installs Artemis upside down..

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's Intercontinental No 66 Pool Cushion, K55 profile.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Do you have photos of that or have you seen that before?, I don't think the best mechanic in the country would pass that little detail.
Why?
They openly admitted and argued it banks better that way .
Hump side up, they said.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230605-181129.png
    Screenshot_20230605-181129.png
    347.9 KB · Views: 65

JCL

Why?
They openly admitted and argued it banks better that way .
Hump side up, they said.
Well, I would love to hear from RKC, he will know if that is true.
As well if a gold crown 3 needs to be recalibrate it?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well, I would love to hear from RKC, he will know if that is true.
As well if a gold crown 3 needs to be recalibrate it?
No problems banking on the Diamond tables with the Artemis cushions hump side down, canvas control strip up. Reversed causes the nose of the cushions to pinch the balls with hard banks because there's no compression canvas control strip on the top of the cushion, which helps stiffen the cushions when banking hard shots, and the rounded underbelly of the cushions prevent the pinching of the cushions. The first edition GC3's came out with Monarch K55 profile cushions because the rails were still actually the GC1 design rails, using the strap bent T bar for bolting the castings to the rails. The 2nd edition GC3 switched to the new Superspeed K55 profile cushions and the threaded inserts mounted into the ends of the rails for bolting the rails to the pocket castings. Mark installs Superspeed K55 cushions on Brunswicks, and has for years now. Neither one if use install the Artemis cushions on them anymore.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
No problems banking on the Diamond tables with the Artemis cushions hump side down, canvas control strip up. Reversed causes the nose of the cushions to pinch the balls with hard banks because there's no compression canvas control strip on the top of the cushion, which helps stiffen the cushions when banking hard shots, and the rounded underbelly of the cushions prevent the pinching of the cushions. The first edition GC3's came out with Monarch K55 profile cushions because the rails were still actually the GC1 design rails, using the strap bent T bar for bolting the castings to the rails. The 2nd edition GC3 switched to the new Superspeed K55 profile cushions and the threaded inserts mounted into the ends of the rails for bolting the rails to the pocket castings. Mark installs Superspeed K55 cushions on Brunswicks, and has for years now. Neither one if use install the Artemis cushions on them anymore.
And some still insist in blue labeling their GC3 and GC4.
Good thing you and Mark stopped using Artemis on them.