Gold Crown questions

realkingcobra

Silver Member
GCI has groove the length of the rail & GCII has shorter piece lengths. If I remember correctly.

That would be 100% correct;) Because of the pain in the ass getting the extrusion molding lined up on the GC1's, they shortened the extrusion molding into shorter pieces on the GC2's, 4 short pieces on the sides, and 3 on the head skirt, foot skirt had one piece on each end skirt, and 2 pieces on the ball box. The bolt on side skirts didn't start until the true GC3's came out. The early GC3's were for the most part left over GC2 parts, making it more of a GC2 1/2:D

Glen

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Gc

I like the gold crown 4.......I wouldent mind working on those everyday...
I havent had the chance to work on a GC5 yet'
p.s >>> anyone looking to buy a gold crown stay away from the 1&2 unless u plan on having it cobrasized and pitching the crapstone and getting the true slate play surface'
-
Rob.M

scruffy1

Silver Member
Sorry! Not a Brunswick crown. i have seen quite a few of these overseas knock offs. Not sure whos making them.

dinkwater

Registered
Is this a Crown?

I have attached an image here. Is the picture shown a Brunswick table? It looks to me like it might be an older crown? Anyone able to give me advice?

Attachments

• isthisacrown.jpg
    isthisacrown.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 2,413

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Dink, Not sure if it's a Brunswick, but I don't think so. It certainly does not look like any GC I've seen.

BTW, I'm not a mechanic, but I've been around since the GC1's. :D

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What model is this?

Stamp on the rails is KKK HD. I believe it has a brass or metal Brunswick plate on it. So from your previous posts, leaning towards a 3 possibly. Picking it up for $1500... drop pockets. They are throwing in Gorina (-sp) cloth. Any suggestions? Having a pro move & set it up. Rails are done already with Gorina. Should I re-felt them? Looks like a sweet table. I'm starting to fall in love:D

Stamp on rails KKK HD.jpg

GC Drop Pocket.jpg

GC Foot.jpg

GC Bed (2).jpg

GC Bed.jpg

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Stamp on the rails is KKK HD. I believe it has a brass or metal Brunswick plate on it. So from your previous posts, leaning towards a 3 possibly. Picking it up for $1500... drop pockets. They are throwing in Gorina (-sp) cloth. Any suggestions? Having a pro move & set it up. Rails are done already with Gorina. Should I re-felt them? Looks like a sweet table. I'm starting to fall in love:D QUOTE]

How about shrinking down them pictures....so they're not a blur to look at:smile:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hope that helps.

Yes, it's a GC3 for sure. Now, let me see some pictures of the ends of the rails where the castings bolt up, as well as where the cloth staples down under the rails at the corner pocket ends...if you can please.

Glen

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record, after speaking with Glen, it totally ruined my day. I am now possessed with completely refurbishing my GC3. And he is one of a handful of people who can do it. Do you know how weak and vulnerable that makes me feel?

Glen you are the best! Looking forward to seeing you here in Chicago.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
I have attached an image here. Is the picture shown a Brunswick table? It looks to me like it might be an older crown? Anyone able to give me advice?

Don't think it's Brunswick. Don't think it's Gandy. Maybe an earlier Murrey. Possibly a Sears or Montgomery Ward.:shrug:

dinkwater

Registered
OK, what about this picture? Is this a crown? Looks like one to me.

Attachments

• 3k63pb3l45O55X35R1a8n915ac94999321297.jpg
    3k63pb3l45O55X35R1a8n915ac94999321297.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 2,353
  • 3mc3od3l35Z05W25P5a8n260bd74f91ee1d74.jpg
    3mc3od3l35Z05W25P5a8n260bd74f91ee1d74.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 2,376
  • 3n93k23o25O05Z05X6a8n90ebae335637189b.jpg
    3n93k23o25O05Z05X6a8n90ebae335637189b.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 2,344

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
OK, what about this picture? Is this a crown? Looks like one to me.

Yes, It looks like a GCI or GCII that someone has stripped the paint off of and stained. Personally I like to leave them painted. The poplar wood used in the blinds is a rather bland wood that looks funny to me next to the figured rosewood laminate on the rails. Just my personal opinion but I've seen many done this way. What is the name plate at the head of the table made of? If it's acrylic it's probably a GCI, metal most likely a GCII.

dinkwater

Registered
Kewlllll... thanks for the info! I'm picking this up for a fair price (under 1k). Can't wait to purchase and set it up!!!!

dinkwater

Registered
Just got off the phone with Sherm. He gave me some lovely tips to install/setup and verify that it is in fact a Gold Crown and what model year it might be. Hope I get it!

Thanks Sherm!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Just got off the phone with Sherm. He gave me some lovely tips to install/setup and verify that it is in fact a Gold Crown and what model year it might be. Hope I get it!

Thanks Sherm!

I'd be interested in a little more detail on how to verify it is a Gold Crown and what year it is.

dinkwater

Registered
According to what Sherm (cuesmith) said, it's not an exact science. Generally..

1. GC1 will have plastic/acrylic badge
2. GC1 will a figure 8 shaped... err... doodad? underneath.. Something about bolts joining the rail to the slate. Sorry, that's the best explanation I can offer.
3. GC2 will a metal badge
4. GC1 has fixed feet, while GC2 has adjustable feet

Hope that helps!

Sherm also mentioned some additional plastic skirts of some kind that he suggested I leave off anyways.

This is my first ever table install so if the seller agrees to the sale, I'm heading out for a long drive to get the table. The seller will help me with disassembly also so I won't know for sure.

dinkwater

Registered
Whether it's a GC1 or GC2, I'm not really too concerned either way. A gold crown is a gold crown and a good solid table to invest in.