Good Cue

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
there should be a forum for announcements, so that koreandragon can post there. CW never friggin' replies to anyone.

Adanac67

Predator=Awesome
Silver Member
UNBELIEVEABLE!! :confused: All of these posts and not one mention of the best hitting cue ever invented. PREDATOR. You can get a great hitting cue for around $300. Check it out, it's what a majority of serious players are now playing with.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Predator shaft on my Pechaur. I actually prefer the Pechaur shaft. Not everyone likes that stiff Predator hit. It's really hard for me to explain but when you find a cue that hits really well, it's a sweet feeling. It accentuates your stroke. You feel like the cue is an extension of you. I don't get that feeling from Predators. There's no doubt the Predator has a solid hit, but having a solid hit isn't the answer for me. If you're lucky, one day you'll find that cue that gives you the feeling I described above and you'll know what I'm talking about. Hope you find it!

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
i have a predator shaft. liked it for a while, but didn't like the sound. and since i miscue a lot, this was a no go for me.

and btw, the best hittin' cues ever are my craig peterson cues:):D:):D:):D

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Warren said:
the question i'd pose is will azbilliards offer the space to host the images? the pics that sometimes get posted on the EPT forum are all hosted somewhere else. that limits the actual use of the forum for posting pics, so most of it is just talking.

Warren, I don't see any problem with hosting the pics here. When we moved to this software, we also moved the site to a new server and we have quite a bit of hard drive space available.

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Adanac67 said:
UNBELIEVEABLE!! :confused: All of these posts and not one mention of the best hitting cue ever invented. PREDATOR. You can get a great hitting cue for around $300. Check it out, it's what a majority of serious players are now playing with.

I used to shoot with a Predator and I liked it a lot. I recently switched to a Layani and Thierry was good enough to custom fit one of his joints on to a Predator shaft for me. I think it hits like a dream.

My wife shoots with a Predator and swears by it.

Mike

Adanac67

Predator=Awesome
Silver Member
i have a predator shaft. liked it for a while, but didn't like the sound. and since i miscue a lot, this was a no go for me.

Yes sir. Miscueing is most definitely the shafts fault!!!!

T

THE SILENCER

in my 25 years of playing pool here is my honest opinion on selecting a great hitting cue. forget about price and forget about the brand. they are NOT i repeat NOT important. the only 3 things that matters is this---- a fantastic balence. if the balence isn't "there" you'll never play to your full potential. now, what constitues a fantastic balence? that's really up to you. but most experts agree, a cue that is NOT bottom heavy is a great place to start. i personally love a cue that is very light, with just a touch of meat to it. i play with a 17oz. cue. next, a shaft that is totally 100% clean. when your shaft is perfectly clean, it changes your game for the better. just a touch of grime of any kind, will ruin your great feeling. i use a wet paper towel, followed by a vigiours rub down with a dry one, followed by a rub down with a piece of #600 sandpaper. and lastly, but perhaps most important-- the tip. the tip is the only part of your $7000 cue that will touch the cue ball. please read this sentence 10 times slowly to yourself, and you'll see what i mean by ignoring, brand and price of cues. my personal favorite tip in the world is a triangle. it is hard, without miscueing, and performs on the dime. so, when shopping around for a new cue, try not to spend over $300 it is just a waste of money that you could have spent on instructional videos.

dennis

Living To Learn!
I am in complete agreement with silencer

You can buy a 1500.00 custom cue and play twice with it and know its just not right.Yet you find that off brand no name that feels like butter in your hands and voila' your game will improve by leaps and bounds.I am speaking from experience,I was heart
broken when the tip came off my sixty dollar viper.I dont think it will ever be the same again?!later ,dennis:D

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of cues, I have been thinking about adding a section to the forums where people can post pics of their cues. I think most all of us are very proud of the cues we use and this would be a place to let us all see what you have.

Maybe even post some pics of nice cues out there that you don't own. I know there are some pics of some beautiful Motteys up on ebay right now.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

Mike

Super idea!!! I now that I am very proud of my cue and feel that othres are too.

Laura

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
THE SILENCER said:
....the only 3 things that matters is this---- a fantastic balence.,,,,,,,next, a shaft that is totally 100% clean. when your shaft is perfectly clean, it changes your game for the better. ,,,,a rub down with a piece of #600 sandpaper. and lastly, but perhaps most important-- the tip..

no one should have to resort to sandpaper of any grit, except for maybe the first time if they want to get the shaft smoother than what was delivered by the cuemaker. i go from 1500-8000 grit. after that, the simple cleaning that you mentioned is enough to burnish the shaft smooth with no need for sandpaper ever again.

there's a lot more to a cue than the obvious areas you mentioned. a cue plays from tip to butt,,,,and you can't leave out the personality of the joint when defining the hit of a cue.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a very expensive Tim Scruggs w/ a predator shaft that I bought for it. Honestly, I didn't like the Scruggs shaft at all. I didn't even play with it until I bought a Predator for it. The predator took about 3 weeks for me to get used to, but once I did, there is nothing else I would rather play with. It just hits perfect and consistent every time. If anything goes wrong it is never the shafts fault..it is always mine. I just have a huge amount of confidence in it. My buddy had to sell his super nice Nova and wanted my recommendation for a nice inexpensive cue. I recommended a Predator sneaky pete for about 300 bucks. He bought one with a Moori tip and shoots better with it than he ever did with his other cue that he paid 5 times that 300 for. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool School Announcements/

Someone mentioned Charlie Williams in another thread. Could his pool school announcements, trick shot shows etc be included in the same thread as the thread for tournaments?

This forum seems to be starting out nice. I would hate to see it get 'messy' if you know what I mean.

Laura

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
That isn't really a terrible thing. My buddy runs one of the top Pittsburgh Steelers sites out there and his forums are a real community of Steelers fans.

It is amazing how much traffic his forums get.

Mike

I think it works as long as it is a small group of pool friends. When it gets too big, that seems to me where the problems get to be an issue with non pool related stuff and flaming.

This forum does seem to have the potential of that community feel you speak of.

Laura

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bruin70 said:

and btw, the best hittin' cues ever are my craig peterson cues:):D:):D:):D

A lot of people like the predator cues. I have one myself. I play with a Blackheart custom. I think the predator is fine, but it is back balanced and I seem to do better with a middle balance cue. For that reason, the Blackheart suits me better.

As a relative beginner, when I was first trying to decide on a cue,sometimes one seemed better, sometimes another seemed better and sometimes they seemed the same.

It took me awhile of holding different cues to decide what was best for me.

I think that a more experienced pool player may not go through the initial indecision that I did.;)

Laura

B

boarwolf

Laura, Charlie's posts belong in the "for sale" forum. I think this thread was about cues until you appeared. Only 4 posts to this thread? You are slipping. Two of them even mentioned cues!
BW

dennis

Living To Learn!
I like the atmosphere here...

I like the format,and the people seem to be real helpful.Not a bunch of condescending horse's rears.later,dennis

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I just plunked my money down on a Dave Jacoby cue. I ordered a 60" cue with a leather wrap. I told them my overriding concern is performance. I don't care that much about the looks. I don't want a bunch of inlays that do nothing to improve the hit. When I walk into a strange pool room, I want to pull that non-descript cue out of my case, and I want the other players to look and shrug their shoulders dismissing me. Then, when they hear the oh-so-sweet sound of that crisp hit that we all have recognized once or twice in the past, I want them to turn around and watch me with amazement as I sweetly deposit every ball in their assigned pockets with soulful precision and skill. When one of them approaches me with awe and admiration, and they ask me which one of the pool gods I am, I'll simply reply, "It's not me, it's this fantastic cue I got. I put it in my hands and the magic just starts." You think I'm expecting too much from this cue? Oh well, it's fun to dream. This dream comes right after my lotto-winning dream.

Thanks all for the advice on cues! I'll let you know if dream # 2 comes true later.