Got my CNC Lathe in today

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will be needing to buy some parts off differant people on here but I can already tell you, the things the nuts. Probably my best buy ever.

1cnc.jpg

1bcnc.jpg

1ccnc.jpg

1dcnc.jpg

Last edited:

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh, Joey, you know me, this is a saver spot. Pics and videos be acoming.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure did, the controler is the bottom picture.

Tom, how accurate is it? I've never correlated accuracy and gear train backlash. Is this going to be used as a shaft machine, a lathe or for inlays?

Dick

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dick,
I am like the guini pig on this. It will be used for Shaft and Butt tapers. I need a few things (like you never don't, LOL) and hopefully will have a YouTube up this weekend or begining of next week. I am also going to try to cut points. It will either work or the RT Custom Cues 2012 will be taken down real quick, LOL.

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom, how accurate is it? I've never correlated accuracy and gear train backlash. Is this going to be used as a shaft machine, a lathe or for inlays?

Dick

Back lash will not be an issue. Both axis will only be cutting in one direction that is to say for a taper machine. I would worry about drag. The carriage on these are too narrow and will want to cock sideways and then drag. You can combat this in two ways, one loosen up the gibbs, and the other lubrication of some sort. Both have issues, loose gibbs will translate to accuracy issues. Lubrication will attract dust. Bassel on here sells a delrin conversion kit for the carriage. That may work.

Tom, are you using an aluminum dovetail or steel? Let us know if you have any issues setting up the G540.

Jim.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back lash will not be an issue. Both axis will only be cutting in one direction that is to say for a taper machine. I would worry about drag. The carriage on these are too narrow and will want to cock sideways and then drag. You can combat this in two ways, one loosen up the gibbs, and the other lubrication of some sort. Both have issues, loose gibbs will translate to accuracy issues. Lubrication will attract dust. Bassel on here sells a delrin conversion kit for the carriage. That may work.

Tom, are you using an aluminum dovetail or steel? Let us know if you have any issues setting up the G540.

Jim.

Wow, thanks to all so far, I feel a Team effort coming with support from great minds.

The Bed is still in my trunk boxed up. It was raining out yesterday and I just got my hearing aids back.

This sounds like its going to be fun now. Win lose or draw the money will not have been wasted, kibitsing when the video starts going up more than welcome. I have done some but 20 years behind in CNC Technology.

Thanks

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well as Joey said, no good without Pics

I have her 100% in place wired up and ready to go. I have my Shaft and Butt Tapers G coded and in files. I will do a Video this week. This is a product of Mid Ameriacan Lathes (Todd). I can chage to ANY taper I want with a 30 second G Code. I can G Code in points and ring work. I can do perfect ring cut offs strictly by using the Y setting read out, no DRO required. Run off on the X - Y is less than .001 over 30 inches. Yes I had to program the Mach 3 to read the increments correctly but imagine Todd has that all worked out. For the money I don't think there is a taper lathe system out there that can even think of touching this one. You want simple and productive? You are looking at the future of your lighter weight Cue Lathes.

CNCsetup.jpg

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
man I could drink a lot more beer with that set up.... can't wait to see it in action Tom ,I have got to get a dedicated tapering machine soon

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bill,
LOL, I know you and many have done set ups before. I got done and my body reminded me I just had a Birthday and wanted to know if I wanted to have another.:wink:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom,

Wow!! You got that set up pretty quickly!! It's gonna make a mess in your living room there, though!! :grin:

As for the beers, well, I don't have to wait for a Birthday to be reminded that I'd like another!!

Good Job!!

Now go make some sawdust and show us the result!!

Gary

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
danutz, ROFLMAO, you owe me a new computer, shirt and probably carpet cleaning. My soda just spewed all over the place. Oh, that was good and I had it coming, LOL.

Video will be up in a day, maybe two. Waiting on couple of tool parts to do video right.

Do you want to see me do video or Model that started on last video?

danutz

Banned
danutz, ROFLMAO, you owe me a new computer, shirt and probably carpet cleaning. My soda just spewed all over the place. Oh, that was good and I had it coming, LOL.

Video will be up in a day, maybe two. Waiting on couple of tool parts to do video right.

Do you want to see me do video or Model that started on last video?

Sorry man, how about i promise to buy some foreskin, oops, i mean ultra skin tips?:grin:

You, or a model, eh? Hmm, tough one there....but, i'm gonna have to go with the model........(female, hot, and partially naked) preferrably..:grin:

customcuelathe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jim.

I want to start by saying that the lathe setup looks great, and congrats for Todd for the great design effort in converting a Taig based Cue lathe into a 2 axis CNC lathe. In regards to what Jim said. I agree mostly with the fact that the Taig carriage is too narrow and the weight of the 2 motors plus a router and router bracket all on one side will probably cause the carriage to Kink or want to cock sideways if a certain load was exerted. Unfortunately, I don't think the Delrin gib alone would solve this problem, although it might improve it.
The only thing that will help significantly is a 5" bindless carriage.
I discussed this concept idea with couple of cue makers 2 years ago and I choose not to do it for this same reason mainly. At that time, the bindless carriage wasn't even on my radar yet.
Anyways, I hope your setup works Tom and dismiss all my concerns. Just one last thing. This reply is not meant to discredit anyone here. It's just my humble opinion. I hope this lathe works out flawlessly for you Tom. After all you are a great guy to deal with and have one of the greatest tips on the market along with fair and affordable pricing.
Regards
Bassel

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
I want to start by saying that the lathe setup looks great, and congrats for Todd for the great design effort in converting a Taig based Cue lathe into a 2 axis CNC lathe. In regards to what Jim said. I agree mostly with the fact that the Taig carriage is too narrow and the weight of the 2 motors plus a router and router bracket all on one side will probably cause the carriage to Kink or want to cock sideways if a certain load was exerted. Unfortunately, I don't think the Delrin gib alone would solve this problem, although it might improve it.
The only thing that will help significantly is a 5" bindless carriage.
I discussed this concept idea with couple of cue makers 2 years ago and I choose not to do it for this same reason mainly. At that time, the bindless carriage wasn't even on my radar yet.
Anyways, I hope your setup works Tom and dismiss all my concerns. Just one last thing. This reply is not meant to discredit anyone here. It's just my humble opinion. I hope this lathe works out flawlessly for you Tom. After all you are a great guy to deal with and have one of the greatest tips on the market along with fair and affordable pricing.
Regards
Bassel
Yeah I remember all the headache this idea caused me......lol

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went in to this knowing I would be the Guini Pig. I already conquered what I thought to be the hardest part, setting the correct increments between the lathe controler and Mach 3.

If it fails it will be a small set back as I will figure a way to make it work. We ole retired guys have nothing better to do, LOL