Gray chalk best for Tournament Blue Simonis!

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was doing further research on my new cloth project...

It was mentioned in another thread that the normal blue chalk
shows up as black as it settles on the Simonis tournament blue cloth.

So I called Simonis to see if they had a recommended chalk color
that showed up the least on tournament blue.
The answer: gray.
And this is based on their recent experiments.

Now, I've heard more than once that the only chalk to use
(for best performance) is the darker blue chalk, Master, of course.
The question is: Will gray chalk perform the same as blue?
Are all Master chalk colors equal?

GordonRamsay

Snooker > Pool
Silver Member
quoted from another forum...

-----------------------------------
Master blue billiard chalk is usually a preferred chalk since it adheres well to the pool cue tip, it isn't messy, and it generally acheives the purpose of billiard chalk.

Master green billiard chalk covers the pool cue tip well, and adheres equally as well. It is less messy than master blue but it has a propensity to cake, which forces a little mid-session cleaning.

--------------------------------

and compared to Masters red... jeeze... anything is less messy than that.

So if anything... all chalks are not created equal....even from the same brand

lefty84

thats my boy!!!!!!
Silver Member
the guy who does most of the tournament directing around here outlaws anything but blue. he especially hates the master brown. have you ever seen the table after a match using brown chalk? looks horrible. so no i guess not all chalks ar equal.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk colors

I agree about blue being best. The BCA only allows blue I beleive, I don't think they allow any other colors at tournament in Vegas. This is amateur of course, not sure about pros.

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
Gray Chalk

I have a nine foot Diamond Pro w/ 860 Blue Tournament Cloth. I most strongly agree that Gray is the best. Though it does show a significant mottle after the impact, it brushes off easier than any other color. I love the gray Masters Chalk for cue performance also!

Cross Side Larry

"Learn from the best, and beat the rest"

I learned from Johnny "Get Back Jack Madden" and trust me when I say, he is truly one of the best!!!

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chalk

I personally like the dark blue Master chalk, regardless of the cloth color. Every other color seems to be a bit flaky on the tip and when it gets on the table. Another poster had said the BCA only allows blue at the nationals in Vegas. This must be true, as I witnessed a team Captain thrown out of the tournament for arguing with a Ref about use of her green chalk.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
GordonRamsay said:
quoted from another forum...

-----------------------------------
Master blue billiard chalk is usually a preferred chalk since it adheres well to the pool cue tip, it isn't messy, and it generally acheives the purpose of billiard chalk.

Master green billiard chalk covers the pool cue tip well, and adheres equally as well. It is less messy than master blue but it has a propensity to cake, which forces a little mid-session cleaning.

--------------------------------

and compared to Masters red... jeeze... anything is less messy than that.

So if anything... all chalks are not created equal....even from the same brand
Someone likes the greatest chef in the world. I would love to get Ramsey in one of my exhibitions against a top pro. Sorry just had to mention it. :)

GordonRamsay

Snooker > Pool
Silver Member
yeah.... Gordon is awesome... Would love to meet him in real life... and get yelled at.

Oh... yeah.. BTW... Comparing chalk......for some reason lighter colors have never worked well for me... I have a light green Masters and orange silvercup and they don't seem to cover that well....compared to good ol'e blue. I like red, but crap... I have to clean my ferrule every time i use it!

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've been using grey masters for several years and it performs the same as the blue, i have not noticed any difference

JAW725

Southpaw
Silver Member
Hello,

I use gray Master and love it. I have a 314-2 now for almost a year and have used nothing but the gray chalk. It still looks completely BRAND NEW!

What color of Master Chalk would you suggest for the Powder Blue Simonis? Is there a chart somewhere? I was thinking grey or sky blue? Thanks

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What color of Master Chalk would you suggest for the Powder Blue Simonis? Is there a chart somewhere? I was thinking grey or sky blue? Thanks
At one of my local pool rooms with Tournament Blue cloth they switched to Sky Blue when regular Blue left dark marks all over. Sky Blue works great.

pj
chgo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At one of my local pool rooms with Tournament Blue cloth they switched to Sky Blue when regular Blue left dark marks all over. Sky Blue works great.

pj
chgo
I see this is an old thread that is being revisited. I’m sure the master sky blue chalk was not available 13 years ago when this thread was started. That chalk is virtually invisible on Simonis tournament blue cloth. We are using up the last of our master blue chalk, at which time I’ve already got a supply of the sky blue chalk in stock, which we will be switching to.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Sky Blue Masters on Tournament Blue 860HR. Honestly, if I didn't clean it, I wouldn't know any made to the play bed. Only the vacuum bears evidence, lol.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did talk to Simonis, and on their Powder Blue and Grey, they are suggesting grey chalk, not the sky blue
Powder blue Simonis, which a very light blue/light gray but more gray than blue is a BIG difference from tournament blue Simonis. I agree from experience that light Gray Master chalk is a better match for powder blue Simonis cloth.

However, Master sky blue chalk is easily THE BEST MATCH for tournament blue Simonis cloth - It’s not even close.