Greatest players never on Mosconi Team?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who are the best players (obviously US or European, and during Cup era) never selected to play on a Mosconi Cup team?

Toastie?

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Off the top of my head I was say me, however, many many would disagree with me

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Given the list of players who have surprisingly represented the USA, then Mike Sigel is the easy answer. Surely we needed Sigel over Ditoro or Gerni.

Freddie <~~~ not waiting for the call

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sigel and Hall!

I never realized that...and Buddy could still play when the Mosconi was in it’s early years.
....he won the US Open when he was on the senior tour.
Sigel a little more understandable, he was semi-retired then.

I think a man who would’ve been good for the team was the Bushwhacker, Gary Nolan...
...formidable under heat.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mike Sigel, for the most part, had already retired from competition before there was a Mosconi Cup.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel, for the most part, had already retired from competition before there was a Mosconi Cup.

But if they got Dallas West twice, Paul Gerni (never a touring pro), Mike Massey, and John DiToro on the team, you’d think Sigel should have been dragged out off the fishing boat long before these guys.

Freddie

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Mike Sigel, without a stupid doubt. And, if you could dig him up out of the ground for nine ball, Luther Lassiter.

All the best,
WW

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall was never on as a player (only coach). THAT has to be the answer.

The first 9 Cups (1994-2002) were all in England; then they started alternating between USA and Europe. From what I heard, Buddy was invited to be on Team USA, but he declined because he wouldn't fly.