Greenway Billiards Southern Open

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in 1978 and 1979 Greenway Billiards had a tournament they called the Southern Open. David Howard won in '78 and Jerry Brock in '79. Does anyone recall these tourneys? I remember watching a $100.00 nine ball ring game there. Some of the players included: Grady Mathews, Keith McCready, Buddy Hall, Flyboy, Larry Hubbart and several others. All the top players of that era were there, incredible action. I recall a teenaged Keith offering anyone the 8-ball and getting no takers, Steve Mizerak putting on a exhibition, Danny Jones woofing with Larry Hubbart and action on every table. The owner had rented the building next door for the tournament and the Greenway itself was the "Green Room". The year Jerry won it, Dan Louie was third and Keith was second. Grady talks about the '79 tournament in his book. Can anyone relate anything about these tournaments? I would love to hear it. Hemicudas, you were there weren't you? Help me jog my memory bank LOL.

Lunchmoney

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:
Back in 1978 and 1979 Greenway Billiards had a tournament they called the Southern Open. David Howard won in '78 and Jerry Brock in '79. Does anyone recall these tourneys? I remember watching a $100.00 nine ball ring game there. Some of the players included: Grady Mathews, Keith McCready, Buddy Hall, Flyboy, Larry Hubbart and several others. All the top players of that era were there, incredible action. I recall a teenaged Keith offering anyone the 8-ball and getting no takers, Steve Mizerak putting on a exhibition, Danny Jones woofing with Larry Hubbart and action on every table. The owner had rented the building next door for the tournament and the Greenway itself was the "Green Room". The year Jerry won it, Dan Louie was third and Keith was second. Grady talks about the '79 tournament in his book. Can anyone relate anything about these tournaments? I would love to hear it. Hemicudas, you were there weren't you? Help me jog my memory bank LOL.

Lunchmoney

Hey, Lunchmoney! :) I'll get Keith to PM you when he rises and shines. I'm sure he remembers it well! :D

What a cute pooch in your avatar!

JAM

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Hey, Lunchmoney! :) I'll get Keith to PM you when he rises and shines. I'm sure he remembers it well! :D

What a cute pooch in your avatar!

JAM

Thanks JAM, looking forward to it.

The Cute pooch is now 10 months old and pushing 90 pounds. Super mellow dog, but clumsy as hell. I'll find a picture and post it.

Lunchmoney

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Lunchmoney, I was there. Also, there was a $20 & $40 pay ball game. The big winner in it was Billy Weir. I put Danny Jones in for a while, to no avail. Denny Searcy, made money in it as did Jerry Brock. James Christopher won some cash too. Charlie Jones was down from Chicago and played. Jesse Badelas(sp) was also there and I believe he played. Nothing in the south compared to the Greenway for action all during the 70s. I spent a lot of time there.

I’m sure Keith will remember Lambert Louvier with great big grin on his face. Lambert loved Keith.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:
Thanks JAM, looking forward to it.

The Cute pooch is now 10 months old and pushing 90 pounds. Super mellow dog, but clumsy as hell. I'll find a picture and post it.

Lunchmoney

He's 10 months and pushing 90? WOW. I've got a black one who's pushing 120. When we take a walk in the park, most of the time everybody gets out of our way! However, he's got that lab spirit and wouldn't hurt a fly. Mine will be 8 years old, come this March. I hated leaving him at home when I used to travel frequently.

If you love labs, you will enjoy this e-card: http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcardm.asp?hdr=0&mpv=ny02en

His Highness has arisen and just shot you a PM!

JAM

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
He's 10 months and pushing 90? WOW. I've got a black one who's pushing 120. When we take a walk in the park, most of the time everybody gets out of our way! However, he's got that lab spirit and wouldn't hurt a fly. Mine will be 8 years old, come this March. I hated leaving him at home when I used to travel frequently.

If you love labs, you will enjoy this e-card: http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcardm.asp?hdr=0&mpv=ny02en

His Highness has arisen and just shot you a PM!

JAM

Thanks JAM, I received the PM and responded. Loved the card.

Lunchmoney

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Yes, Lunchmoney, I was there. Also, there was a $20 & $40 pay ball game. The big winner in it was Billy Weir. I put Danny Jones in for a while, to no avail. Denny Searcy, made money in it as did Jerry Brock. James Christopher won some cash too. Charlie Jones was down from Chicago and played. Jesse Badelas(sp) was also there and I believe he played. Nothing in the south compared to the Greenway for action all during the 70s. I spent a lot of time there.

I’m sure Keith will remember Lambert Louvier with great big grin on his face. Lambert loved Keith.

I remember the pay ball game, it went on for days.

I always wondered if someone had a list of players that played in the tournament or even better, some photos.

Lunchmoney