Gus Szamboti 70's

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a well known high end collector make me an offer on a cue and added, "If you shop the cue around then I don't want it any more."

So there's that to consider. Of course, if you are looking to hold it for 10 years then I imagine you would be given some slack by collectors... the ones still alive, that is.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a well known high end collector make me an offer on a cue and added, "If you shop the cue around then I don't want it any more."

So there's that to consider. Of course, if you are looking to hold it for 10 years then I imagine you would be given some slack by collectors... the ones still alive, that is.
I guess I do not understand that. It seems odd that letting multiple people see your cue would discourage bidders?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I guess I do not understand that. It seems odd that letting multiple people see your cue would discourage bidders?

People enjoy having the chance to show a cue off.

Also the market continues to worsen, your plan to ride your Gus into the ground is working

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After the new girl at school has been passed around to half the football team she seems less exotic. I think it's along those lines.

Seriously, though, I think part of the intrigue of owning such a rare cue is the story that goes with it. We all know a cue is more valuable if it has a good story attached...this was Mosconi's cue, etc.. If a collector can acquire a cue that is mostly unknown and found to be a real find, so much the better for the new owner, and so much the higher the perceived value.

I'm not a collector myself, so I don't know for sure. I just know that when you are dealing with works of art rather than widgets the market rules are different. I've been following this thread with interest from the beginning and I wish you the best, but I'm not sure you are giving that aspect of high end cue market enough consideration. You've been given a realistic range of values from experts and it is clear, up to now, that the high end of the range you've been "quoted" is not realistic.

Are you concerned that you are going to make a bad deal, or do you just not like the potential sale prices? For instance, let's say the experts appraised your cue at $7K to $11K and you got three offers below $8500 and one for $11K. Would you then be happy to sell at $11K? As it is, you've turned down offers higher than that. Is it simply because someone said you might be able to get $18K?

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan.....Thanks for taking the time to contribute your input. It seemed incorrect for me to sell at the bottom of the range I was given by over 100 people who responded to me both in this forum and in private messages. If this were a plain garden variety Gus then I would consider doing that but this is much nicer than the average Gus so somewhere near the middle to the upper end of the range seems correct to me. I was told by some people here that Gus only made about 1200 cues and only 10% of them were higher-end fancy cues so I think mine must be in the top 100 Gus ever made. I could be wrong about this but that is what I was told when I asked for help in this forum. This is a one-owner cue I purchased directly from Gus in the 1970's and have had now for close to 45 years. Having a third shaft makes it more valuable than the ones with just one or two shafts. Putting all this input together is what has shaped my opinion of where in the "range" I should sell. Thanks again for your input. :)

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan.....Thanks for taking the time to contribute your input. It seemed incorrect for me to sell at the bottom of the range I was given by over 100 people who responded to me both in this forum and in private messages. If this were a plain garden variety Gus then I would consider doing that but this is much nicer than the average Gus so somewhere near the middle to the upper end of the range seems correct to me. I was told by some people here that Gus only made about 1200 cues and only 10% of them were higher-end fancy cues so I think mine must be in the top 100 Gus ever made. I could be wrong about this but that is what I was told when I asked for help in this forum. This is a one-owner cue I purchased directly from Gus in the 1970's and have had now for close to 45 years. Having a third shaft makes it more valuable than the ones with just one or two shafts. Putting all this input together is what has shaped my opinion of where in the "range" I should sell. Thanks again for your input. :)

I understand. I think part of the issue is that you don't really need to sell. They always say if you put a car up for auction without a reserve you are more likely to get serious buyers bidding. They know the car will sell. You've kind of put a reserve on the cue by shopping it for two years and saying you don't need to sell. Maybe some buyers are waiting for you to get serious. Just a guess.

Hope you get what you want out of it eventually.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it has been 6 months since I checked in. What is the current state of the rare Gus Szamboti cue market today?

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come across the letter sent to me from Szamboti that is a photocopy of the page in the order book of the details of my cue he made. How does that fit into the whole evaluation of the cues worth? Thanks in advance ;)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
when i clicked on your link in post#1 only a photo of a shaft came up
i am not looking to buy your cue to be up front but would like to see what sounds like a beautiful cue

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try it now. For some reason, the photos seem to disappear after a period of time. The link is working for me now

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
GS order photocopy is a great thing to have, and certainly adds to value.

Will Prout
Great to hear your opinion Will, which is invaluable..and I feel the same

For me it's nice to see the progress of this offering. Cues like it are just not openly available.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Several hundred messages later people have been asking for more details about the cue so here are a few things I remember. I used to play a lot of pool with Gary Spaeth and he had a Szamboti as well as his dad Joey Spaeth who was also a fantastic player. Anyway, they are the ones that turned me onto getting a Szamboti in the 1976-77 area. Also the price I paid was around $400 which was a couple of hundred more than just the plain model he offered. Then sometime around 20 years ago life got in the way and I put it in the case and forgot about it basically until a week ago or so ago. I have researched and seen lots of pictures of Gus's cues and I have never seen one just like it
You will easily get ten to twenty times what you paid for it. It is a very nice cue.