Hand-held bridge to assist people with movement disorders or other issues with their bridge hand

The Steady Shot

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you or anyone you know have movement disorders like Cerebral Palsy, Parkinson’s, or Essential Tremor and still want to shoot competitively? Is your bridge hand compromised from arthritis, a stroke, missing digits, or any other process that has disabled your billiards bridge hand? I can help. I've had tremors most of my life and began taking medication at 50 for Benign Essential Tremors. Around 55 I was diagnosed with a second movement disorder, Parkinson's. It was around then that I invented The Steady Shot. A hand-held bridge that can be used with either hand, to assist with shooting off rails, over balls, and more. Almost any shot you can think of except jumping.

Please visit my website, https://www.thesteadyshot.com/, where I have videos and pictures of how to use The Steady Shot. If you are still interested you may contact me through this forum or via my website.

Thank You Morado_aka_Rosewood.jpg

skiergd011013

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i think this is brilliant. I have seen people struggle with shaky hands before. Im going to keep this in mind and possibly order one just to have with me incase I see someone having an issue some time. I would love to pull this thing out and see if it helps them. Ill also have it on hand incase I ever develop a problem. My pool friends son has cerebral palsy and shoots pool. I am going to show this to him as well.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Think you have come up with unique product, as I have couple of friend who have Shakes from Agent Orange Exposure in Vietnam.

Only question is how is wood of portion where Cues Shaft Lays, highly polished.

Nice idea.

The Steady Shot

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your friends. It’s a shame you serve your country and then come home with something like that. Thank goodness they did come home.

I sand the grooves then round them over with a spindle sander. The only groove not rounded over is the lower one for shooting off the rail. Some woods I stain others I leave natural but all are covered with polyurethane.

I used my old one several years and never had an issue with it damaging the shaft. With my new one, I switched to the Rosewood, there hasn’t been any problems. I’ve only used it with a wooden shaft. I honestly don’t know how it would work with the carbon shafts. Thanks

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Tremors and associated movement disorders has ended the careers of many individuals. In pool, Stevie Moore and Mike Coltrain come to mind. Along with them are others that can still play but are affected to a lesser degree.

It is clear how your device would / could aid the bridge hand from unwanted movement.
My question is how does this device resolve the issue in the hand your holding the cue with?

The Steady Shot

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning, the short answer to your question is it doesn't. The only thing I can tell you is about me and how I do it.

My tremors are prevalent in my left hand but I do have them in both. As I'm taking my practice strokes I try to calm myself by concentrating on my stroke, the shot, and not the shaking. You should do this anyway but it's different when it's going on in front of you. If the shaking gets in my head I get upset and it becomes worse. At this point, I will stand up, shake it off then start my routine again. I wait until I feel my stroke is at its smoothest, not as much bouncing around, then I take the shot. It doesn't always give me the shot I want but that's the nature of the beast.

I've never been told I'm taking too much time for my shot. I am aware of my opponent and respect the flow of the match. More often than not I'm able to take my shot this way. Maybe once or twice a game I may have to stand and shake it off, some games not at all.

I apologize if I'm misleading anyone into thinking The Steady Shot is a cure-all for shooting with a movement disorder. It's only for the bridge hand. Hopefully, someday myself or someone will come up with a solution for our shooting hand.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Good Morning, the short answer to your question is it doesn't. The only thing I can tell you is about me and how I do it.

My tremors are prevalent in my left hand but I do have them in both. As I'm taking my practice strokes I try to calm myself by concentrating on my stroke, the shot, and not the shaking. You should do this anyway but it's different when it's going on in front of you. If the shaking gets in my head I get upset and it becomes worse. At this point, I will stand up, shake it off then start my routine again. I wait until I feel my stroke is at its smoothest, not as much bouncing around, then I take the shot. It doesn't always give me the shot I want but that's the nature of the beast.

I've never been told I'm taking too much time for my shot. I am aware of my opponent and respect the flow of the match. More often than not I'm able to take my shot this way. Maybe once or twice a game I may have to stand and shake it off, some games not at all.

I apologize if I'm misleading anyone into thinking The Steady Shot is a cure-all for shooting with a movement disorder. It's only for the bridge hand. Hopefully, someday myself or someone will come up with a solution for our shooting hand.
Thanks for your honest and thoughtful reply. I have essential tremors, as you may have guessed, and understand how frustrating they can be. So I do not want you to get the impression I am doubting your device. On the contrary I like it and believe it is likely to be helpful to some folks.

In my case it is worse in my right hand and I have been lucky to not see a progression in the tremors since I was diagnosed. Luckier still to not have Parkinson's as well, not that tremors are any precursor to Parkinson's.

I will show this to a fellow at a pool hall I frequent he might be interested in one.

Fortunately mine are fairly well treated with 80 mgs of propranolol the ER version..

Thanks Again & Good Luck!!

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just got mine in the mail today. I will let you know how it turns out. FYI… it fits in my Jb case without any issues.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Very creative. I will pass this along. Also ordering for myself … would like to handle one.

EDIT...purchased a Purpleheart..thanks. Nice selection of woods. PurpleH and Padauk my favorites but all are looking good. Thanks, Frank

Last edited: