Hang ’Em High (2018)

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t know if the house cues are warped or bent, anyway the sticks are slightly curved in the shaft area.

Could this method work with a pot of time?

Regards.
Olaf

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might work better than one of those shaft straightener tools.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have my doubts that it will make warped cues straight. Let us know how it works out.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the picture. Could be an ad for gamblers.
How much weight would you like? :grin-square:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it has about as much chance at straightening the cues as it has of stretching them longer. LOL!

Great pic. :thumbup:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't see how the tip end is held?
If it is not perfectly straight, like some sort of chinese finger trap; or equal length leaders from 2 or more sides, there's a strong chance it WILL kink the tips over time.....

I've straightened house cues and no-name player cues with heat. Lignin in dry wood softens somewhere around 280° to 350° (well under char temp) but a lot hotter than your attic probably attains. :eek:

I use a drum heater laid out over a sheet of aluminum bent over a gradual curve used for straightening other stuff in a press in my wood shop. But it is bend and try iterative process. If you have to spend more than 10 minutes, probably not worth it to the customer. Bad curves can be fixed relatively easily, but like most endeavors, the last 10% takes 90% of the time and effort. How close do you need it?

smt

Last edited:

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my doubts that it will make warped cues straight. Let us know how it works out.
Chris, I will do it.
After 18 days of hanging I just have checked the two cues on the left. No change in straightness, sticks are still curved. :(
Waiting for a heat wave; will also treat the cues with water steam from time to time. Maybe that will support a straightening process?

I mean steam from an iron while cues are hanging and not the "spaghetti-method".

I can't see how the tip end is held?
Most of the cues are held by steel screws.
image upload free

I know that two-piece cues are not as prone to warping/bending than than one-piecer (that was the real reason why cuemakers sometime started to build multi-part sticks; better transport is only a side benefit).
So I think nobody should demand a bar cue that is laser straight. The question is how much warp/bend is normal and acceptable on one-piece-sticks? What do you think?

I know I have a (never used) cue straightening device made by Unique but I can’t find it now. Does somebody have experience with that tool? If memory serves me right, you have to rub in some cue cleaner on one side of the bent area and then fix it in the device with rubber band.

Olaf

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys all know wood can be bent and formed using steam, etc. Hence it can also be "unbent".

It's not about whether or not it can be done. It's a matter of how much work it might take to get it actually straight enough. And then of course, it can move again.

I like these comments:

But it is bend and try iterative process. If you have to spend more than 10 minutes, probably not worth it to the customer. Bad curves can be fixed relatively easily, but like most endeavors, the last 10% takes 90% of the time and effort. How close do you need it?

Many of us players have easily straightened a shaft by just bending it. It will stay for a while.

Also, depending on the prevailing temperature and humidity, wood can easily move. And it changes. Even after proper aging. Even after sealing processes.

This is an age old topic and will be continuously discussed I am sure.

I have never used the Jacoby shaft adjusting tools. I have heard good things and bad. Like any such thing it would seem to rely a great deal on the "talent" of the user.

Regardless of it being an endless topic, I really enjoy reading what various cue makers and cue repair guys have to say on the matter.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time while cutting shafts I was on my second to last cut on a shaft. I went to wind the carriage of the lathe to beginning of my cut and I had turned the lathe off but kept the router turning. On the return my cutter just rubbed the shaft taking a few thou off the entire length. When I started the spindle again to start the next cut the shaft had a big bow in it. I learned an awful lot in those few minutes.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
" The ONLY WAY this will work is really far away from the earth-
To get the very most out of the gravitational pull on the cues ,
But,
I still recommend 50 + years to get em right :(

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi gents.

After nearly 4 months of hanging, cues are still warped :frown:

Does someone have experience with the straigthening device made by Unique?
What I mean is that tool:

free photo hosting

Any input is welcome.
Olaf

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi gents.

After nearly 4 months of hanging, cues are still warped :frown:

Does someone have experience with the straigthening device made by Unique?
What I mean is that tool:

free photo hosting

Any input is welcome.
Olaf

My experience has been that it is a temporary fix at best. I think we all have discovered that wood is going to do what wood is going to do. I've used similar jigs (I think it would be just as easy to build one as to order one,) and the cues returned back to their warped states in a short period of time.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do a fair bit of house cue work and when they are too beat up or crooked, nothing will save that cue. The pool halls I do work for just gives me the beat up cues and let me deciede when a cue need replacement. I save the cues, sometimes I can use the wood for repairs. A new house cue is about $30, so it`s limited how much time and money you want to spend on them, I do change ferrules as it`s quick and easy on those cues, I just put a whole rod of Juma in my collet chuck, drill a 5/16" hole and part them off. Glue the ferrule on, face it off, put on a Le Pro and trim everything down to size.