Hardwood shims

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I tried some from Home Depot, I don't care for them as they break to easy, I'll stick with the packaged wood shims I buy from Home Depot;)

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
That's what i was thinking It says they dont compress but break 4 times easier then wood shims.. I just didnt want to waste cash on an experiment someone had already tried them thanks..

Craig

OTLB

Banned
That's what i was thinking It says they dont compress but break 4 times easier then wood shims.. I just didnt want to waste cash on an experiment someone had already tried them thanks..

Craig

I use steel shims made by willie wonka, one set lasts forever.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
thats funny.. I was looking at metal shims that have the center missing but not thick enough. I dont know which would be better wood or metal over a long time period wood is easier all around. As are playing cards, with a hardwood frame instead of softer wood frame tables, wood is still the answer.

Craig

OTLB

Banned
only use the metal wedges then replace with flat stock and take out wedges. Picked up some nice cues this weekend, oh wait let me start a new thread.

Attachments

• MVC-217F.JPG
    MVC-217F.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 251

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Cool Cool I have a few of those same cues let me know if you want to part with some one of these days. I like the wedges I will have to make some or find some also.

Craig

OTLB

Banned
for antique tables with short distances from the edge of the slate to the frame they work well. I still use long wood ones on many styles of tables and mechanical adjusters as well.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I'm old fashion big frggin flat head screw driver then add shim, remove screwdriver tap shim tighten screw. I 'm looking for long taper hard shims instead of soft ones, harder to find or overpriced to be productive. I guess I will stick to the screwdriver and shim/ playing cards.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
MBS group, has a decent shim. nothing like the old valley ones. but the best I can find at an affordable price.

scruffy1

Silver Member
For those who remember Norwood products, they had the best! Cue splices of purpleheart,mahogany,etc. Some of those shims were to nice to use!!!

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I was just thinking of them trying to find those old cocobolo ebony blood wood shims again.

I was just thinking of them trying to find those old cocobolo ebony blood wood shims again.

I buy a 12 ft. X 3/4" thick board and cut my own purple heart shims on the band saw. The shims are 9" long and work fantastic. I get about 1000 shims for $120. and 4 hr. of work. I waste a lot of the wood when I break the shim off, but the table stays tight and the shims don't move.

Mark Gregory

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Hey Mark send me a picture of your shims are the wide a or all 3/4 wide 9" long. sounds like what i'm looking for.