Has Larry Nevel surpassed Earl Strickland...

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like such a long cue would make it difficult to keep the tip down during follow-through (too much weight in the rear).

I stopped by Mike Gulyassy's booth at SBE this spring and asked him about Earl's outlandish cue. He asked if I wanted to take a look at another one that was almost the same as Earl's. I was very surprised at how nice it felt in my hands. The balance felt perfect and Mike said it hits great as well. It didn't feel butt-heavy to me at all, or even heavy in any way. The shaft was as smooth as any I've ever felt, and Mike said it was a proprietary finish that he was using that was responsible for that.

Of course, I can barely swing a 58" cue in my cramped basement without hitting the wall, so this will always be just a curiosity for elite players to me.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member

Diogenes

Silver Member
It has to be the best way to go on a 9' or 10' table. There isn't a day that goes buy that I don't wish that I had 4-6 more inches on my stick (hold the jokes... we're all thinking it... LOL).. I get (by far) more accurate cue-ball placement control without a bridge, so I'll usually stretch across the length of a table (if I can't get on it lefty) and grip the butt of my cue before I'll grab a bridge (unless it's the last ball on the table or an easy setup). Many times there is only about 1" (or less) of the shaft in my right hand, but I've (mostly) learned how to sink this type of shot... however my cue-ball placement suffers because I can't feel the shot very well. It's still better than using a bridge (for me).
On my budget (these days) I guess I would just have to buy a jump/break 3 piece, add an extra jump piece at the butt and change out the phenolic (or whatever) break tip to a Kamui or Tiger tip. Something like a Lucasi L2000JB perhaps.
Are there any "quality" cues out there in the 62"-64" range with a price less than 4 figures? I'm not looking to replace (or alter) my daily shooter, but it would be nice to have a longer cue standing ready when I need it. I've looked at the longer Athena cues, but their low price kind of makes me question if they are junk or not. Any tested suggestions while we're on this thread about Larry's long stick? I have several cues that I have for house guest, Huebler, Viking, ect. that I guess I could alter one just for this purpose, but I'd rather just get one designed for the longer length.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
yea the length doesn't have to effect the balance, I've made and played with 54" cues all the way up to 61 inches and the balance was always where it was supposed to be, and if i can do it then the full time cue makers sure the hell can.

Just got to do some cross multiplication to figure out if say on your 58" cue the balance is at 18.25" what if would be at say 65" or whatever.

And the shaft and butt stay equal just like any other cue....at least thats what i do.

-GG