Have you used carbon fiber and went back to wood?

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considering switching back. An acquaintance told me he thinks CF is great if you're a total beginner and learning from scratch but for we old timers......I'm having trouble adjusting. There's assuredly something..........missing. That ever elusive hit and sound and the "feedback" you get from wood. I'm having all kinds of trouble with miscues....I NEVER miscued in the past. I mean.......nevvvvvvvvvver even when I played at the extreme edges of the cue ball. Because of those miscues and the lack of the feel I'm missing it's made me hesitate or "flinch" in my stroke which only causes more miscues and the vicious circle has begun. Plus I never used a glove even in the worst of conditions in pool rooms. Can't do that with CF I think. So....thinking about switching back. I'm on the fence.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I played with a regular 13mm maple shaft for about 36 years, then switched to a 12.9 Predator Vantage ld wood, loved it for about a year, then tried to get used to a 12.9 Revo for about 8 months, then went back to the Vantage I still use now.
I seem to shoot better overall with the wood Vantage, and I think in my case it might have a lot to do with my eyes. I think I "see" the wood shaft better than the black cf shaft. They both have very ld imo btw.
I now use the 12.9 Revo as my BREAK SHAFT (just like on a BK Rush), and it works amazing for that.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess some might call me an old-timer distinguished. I switched to carbon fiber a year ago, or so, and it was an easy transition. I don't see myself going back to wood.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think older players and players who have played with wood shafts for decades have a tougher time adjusting to the different sound/feel of a carbon fiber shaft. For younger players who have switched to carbon fiber, I think there is much less adjustment to being able to get used to one.
Right track, but it goes deeper for many. In addition to maple, there is the material the joint is made of, likewise, the ferrule, and for many unlaminated maplers there is that le pro tip.

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe its just the cue i was using, but i tried a REVO, it almost had like a 'hollow' feel to it, but i noticed i was a lot more sharp in some of the shots i was making. also noticed i didn't need to stroke as much. regardless, don't think i'll be making the switch as I dont play nowhere near enough these days to justify the price of the purchase.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Gave one a couple of weeks, when I switched back to my timeless timber shaft, it was like ditching a new pair of shoes that never quite fit right, and putting back on your favorite pair of comfortable ones. The sound and feel and flex of a wood shaft just feels better to me.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have tried basically every carbon fiber shaft on the market. I had settled on the Becue engage as my favorite. I have an 11.8 and 12.3 in both of my major joint pins of my cues.

i had been playing exclusively with CF for a couple years, but I found that on delicate shots it was hard for me to slow my stroke down enough for the energy transfer of the CF. This was really evident for me when I would move down to play barbox tournaments (I play on 9’ 95% of time)

For the last couple of months, I have been using the Mezz ExPro and I feel like it has a better level of energy transfer for my stroke.

I may go back, but I feel like the hybrid wood/carbon is a good balance for me currently.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the Synergy has deflection and hit feel closer to many wood LD shafts, meaning more flex and more deflection than the Revo or Ignite. For players that want a wood shaft but in CF construction, Synergy would be a good pick, I would liken it to a Predator 314. For someone that likes a stiffer feel and deflection that is as low as they can get, then something else would suit them better, Revo is closer to a Z3 shaft, less deflection, stiffer than most other shafts.
CYNERGY ;)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Several? do tell.
tickles cue repair sells them, 250 shipped with the tip

and the others i dont have a list i just searched up and found a few on here , i think the cf pricing thread showed one that was 250 plus tip and shipping. and recall seeing a few on fb as well. they are out there if you want to find them.
tickle was the best deal i could find also offered the smallest tip i could find (11.5) besides the cuetec (10.5)

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
People look to spend money on magic Pool pill, CF is latest product being pimp.

To make you play like SBV, or?
Stop it. Everyone agrees it's not the equipment that makes the player.

In my case, the maker of my cues has passed away and I won't risk another "accident" damaging my cues I cannot replace.
I went to CF because I can buy another that will look and play the exact same in one day if something was to happen to it AND it is less likely to be damaged.
My level of play is unchanged other than I can no longer jump full cue with the CF for some reason.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tickles cue repair sells them, 250 shipped with the tip

and the others i dont have a list i just searched up and found a few on here , i think the cf pricing thread showed one that was 250 plus tip and shipping. and recall seeing a few on fb as well. they are out there if you want to find them.
tickle was the best deal i could find also offered the smallest tip i could find (11.5) besides the cuetec (10.5)
that makes a total of three. i've searched this pretty closely and there a very few selling cf shafts at/near the $250 point. That one's that are are getting pretty mixed reviews for both playability and QC. you have the tickle's? any good? he the same guy that makes the bucket polisher?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
that makes a total of three. i've searched this pretty closely and there a very few selling cf shafts at/near the $250 point. That one's that are are getting pretty mixed reviews for both playability and QC. you have the tickle's? any good? he the same guy that makes the bucket polisher?
yeah that guy hes got several sizes in the cf shafts and connections, i have zero complaints with it or any shaft ive ever used really lol. playability to me sounds like a persons own ability to adjust to or learn a shaft.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screenshot_20221207-100352.jpg

I'd rather be billiarding.