Have you used carbon fiber and went back to wood?

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've be a 314 guy for 25 years (on a custom butt with a snooker bevel on the back). I still use Ash 9.5mm for Snooker. Tried a bunch of CF cues. I don't see much improvement in LD over 314-3. In some cases worse. Don't like the balance. Very front light and they must add weight to back to achieve overall desired weight. Also I'm used to and like 12.75mm and all I have seen are under/over this. Thus I will pass. The only upside I see is durability. The price point is also not to my liking. I expect More for More. I know a little about manufacturing. I would bet that 314 costs Predator more money to make than Revo and lets not get into a discussion about R&D costs.
They put some type of steel bolt in the middle of a Revo to add weight to it.

Take a magnet, hold it around the middle of a Revo shaft and voila! - you’ll be surprised.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
They put some type of steel bolt in the middle of a Revo to add weight to it.

Take a magnet, hold it around the middle of a Revo shaft and voila! - you’ll be surprised.
Doesn't surprise me. This brings overall weight to about 3.5~4 Ounces but doesn't help overall weight distribution. Not a fan. Overall makes cue feel back heavy. Could I get used to it....sure but a $500 a copy when I like the wood based tech I'm not a buyer. Interesting to see Josh Filler switch back and forth. I'm sure Predator would love their premier Pro to go CF full time. I've noticed that lately he's gone back to it. Lets see if he will give up feel of his trusty device.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No chance I go back to wood. My Jacoby black plays essentially identically to the lucasi slim ld shaft that I came from, except it's much smoother. That and the fact that about once an hour, when I really put a stroke on a ball, I get a really satisfying "pink!" sound from it. Like hitting a home run with an aluminum bat. I love it!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I needed to sell off my cues
Luckily around the same time
I found a nick varner house cue that has curly maple in it. A perfectly seasoned lepro. Hits so good
Breaks amazing, plays amazing.
Bought it from the pool room
I love the simplicity

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I bought a cuetec cynergy SVB cue to shake things up today. I have alternated between a low deflection sneaky and a clad "Eliminator" cue (I know, not the best), We will see how it goes. It has been almost 20 years since the last cue purchase so time for a change. Plus coming down the home stretch in our session.

Last edited:

SeniorTom

Just as a note, for people who don't like the CF feel, you might want to try the Cuetec Cynergy. I'm a middle-distinguished-age player who played solid wood for 25 years and switched over pretty easily. I've noticed no one in this thread who disliked CF has said they tried the Cynergy and came back.
I have a Cuetec carbon fiber shaft and love it. I like the feel of it when striking the cue ball, and the shaft just flows through the bridge with ease. It doesn't ding up like wood when you accidentally hit it on something, doesn't warp, and as far as action on the ball I don't see much of any difference. Will it run more racks for me? I doubt it, but it does have its advantages for me. I think a lot of people have wrong expectations when they purchase one, like their game is going to change and they'll be able to run racks easier and stuff like that. That just won't happen. The changes and differences are subtle, but I like those differences. The Cuetec carbon fiber is my go-to shaft.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Interested in people's thoughts that used a LD carbon fiber shaft and moved back to either solid maple or a radial wood shaft. What did they not like about the CF shaft?
Thanks
I used a cf shaft that was supposed to be ld but was not and moved back to wood...

Jaden