He was a UJ Puckett protege

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was his name? I was thinking his first name was Frank. I may have him confused with "Little Squirrel" Thompson. (Because I was thinking Frank Thompson) The guy I am trying to remember died young, from cancer, and won the last tournament he played in, even as he was very sick (in Vegas?) Anybody?

Last edited:

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
i believe frank thompson was his name, the tournament was the Texas State Open, held at Moyers, in Austin,TX. he beat "Tall Dennis" in the finals.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rockin' Robin said:
i believe frank thompson was his name, the tournament was the Texas State Open, held at Moyers, in Austin,TX. he beat "Tall Dennis" in the finals.

That would be "Bird"

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's it. You guys are good!!! I heard his final tournament was awe-inspiring. That he was very weak but took off the victory. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here are a couple of pics

Here's Frank and also a shot of him with Dick Lane.

Attachments

• Frank-Thompson.jpg
    Frank-Thompson.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 649

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You inspired me....

Hey Bill, I guess a hero should be able to top himself from time to time. Here's another couple of shots from a party that Frank's friends gave him back in 1981. He died shortly after these pictures were taken (by Mike Haines), so they are probably the last photos of him. The plaque was given to him by his friends and it says, "Texas 9-Ball Champion." My friend Mike Haines, who knew Frank, said, "Frank was dying at the time of the photos - that is why we had the party for him. He played as good as anybody when healthy........."

BTW, I believe that is Steve Puckett on the left in the top photo - a relative of U. J. Puckett.

Attachments

• Frank-Thompson.jpg
    Frank-Thompson.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hank Thompson????

BillPorter said:
Hey Bill, I guess a hero should be able to top himself from time to time. Here's another couple of shots from a party that Frank's friends gave him back in 1981. He died shortly after these pictures were taken (by Mike Haines), so they are probably the last photos of him. The plaque was given to him by his friends and it says, "Texas 9-Ball Champion." My friend Mike Haines, who knew Frank, said, "Frank was dying at the time of the photos - that is why we had the party for him. He played as good as anybody when healthy........."

BTW, I believe that is Steve Puckett on the left in the top photo - a relative of U. J. Puckett.

Bird, had a brother that played below him but was a top notch steersman. I believe his name was Hank. Any of you old heads remember Hank Thompson????

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Bird, had a brother that played below him but was a top notch steersman. I believe his name was Hank. Any of you old heads remember Hank Thompson????

I don't know Hank, but I did meet Frank, at that time the game he liked for the $ was eight ball. He was very good at keeping a player on the hook. I was thinking of the thread concerning pool subjects that would make a good movie. This would be a good one, Frank's story along with the UJ connection.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
punter said:
I don't know Hank, but I did meet Frank, at that time the game he liked for the $ was eight ball. He was very good at keeping a player on the hook. I was thinking of the thread concerning pool subjects that would make a good movie. This would be a good one, Frank's story along with the UJ connection.

Frank "Bird" Thompson was a hell of a lot of fun to be around. Here's a litttle story about the last time I saw my friend, Bird.

In 1978 or 1979 myself and "The player, NOT to be named later", were scuffling around Vicksburg, MS and into the joint walks Bird and his stake horse, a non player. The player and I had gotten all the money there was to get in the bar and we related this to Bird. Bird says, "OK, how can we play". Talking to either the player or me. We knew how Bird played, the 8 under the player and the 8 over me. Of course Bird wanted the 7 and was willing to play me even. Obviously, no bet. Bird was heading east when he left Vicksburg, so he ask us about any spots in Jackson. He said he would toss us a jellyroll on the way back to Dallas.

I had been playing a shortstop in Jackson the week before. Winning once and losing the next 3 times we played. I tried adjusting but the shortstop wouldn't adjust.

So, the player and I decide to put Bird on the shortstop. To get some of our money back. We give Bird the name of the bar in Jackson and the name of the shortstop and tell him that he (Bird) plays the 8 over the shortstop but that the shortstop can put a few racks together. All of which was true. Bird leaves and the player and I hit a few more joints in Vicksburg, to no avail.

The player and I get back to Jackson about 3AM and go to the all night bar that we sent Bird. We walk in and see Bird racking the balls, down with the shortstop we sent him to play.

The player and I watch as Bird loses game after game. We can't tell how much they are playing for but it looks like it's a hundred a game. Each time Bird loses a game he puts the cash on a table where a couple of guys that we know and some time stake us to play are sitting. One of the guys stuffs the cash in his pocket and Bird starts racking again.

A few games later, Bird sits down, telling the shortstop he needs the 8. The shortstop refuses to give up even the last 2 so Bird says he's all done.

Bird has seen the player and me sitting at a table and is giving us the dirtiest looks imaginable. Assuming we have double steered him and are really in with the shortstop.

The player and I get up and go to the bathroom hoping Bird will follow us in, he does. Bird says, "You double steering jerks, this guy is a player". We tell him he's wrong and ask how much he's down. He says $700 and he is playing for $100 now and doesn't have enough to play another game. He is still hot as hell and says it doesn't matter because he can't beat the guy any way.

We didn't want to take our friends money but didn't want Bird to go back to Dallas and tell, UJ, and consequently the pool world, that we had double steered him. So we figured when you get to a fork in the road you have to take the road that will make you money.....

The player and I tell Bird he has the nuts and that if he is through with the guy, to show him we didn't double steer him we would stake him. He says yes, I'm through and that he would play his heart out if we wanted to stake him. The player and I give Bird $1,000 and tell him to raise the bet to $200 and knock the guy on in.

Bird is now convinced that we have not double steered him. So he goes out, falls in dead stroke and proceeds to beat the guy to a pulp.

The shortstop and his stake horses leave so Bird comes over to our table and lays out $3,200. We take our $1,000 out and give him $1,100. Bird is happy as hell and back on the road again.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Frank "Bird" Thompson was a hell of a lot of fun to be around. Here's a litttle story about the last time I saw my friend, Bird.

In 1978 or 1979 myself and "The player, NOT to be named later", were scuffling around Vicksburg, MS and into the joint walks Bird and his stake horse, a non player. The player and I had gotten all the money there was to get in the bar and we related this to Bird. Bird says, "OK, how can we play". Talking to either the player or me. We knew how Bird played, the 8 under the player and the 8 over me. Of course Bird wanted the 7 and was willing to play me even. Obviously, no bet. Bird was heading east when he left Vicksburg, so he ask us about any spots in Jackson. He said he would toss us a jellyroll on the way back to Dallas.

I had been playing a shortstop in Jackson the week before. Winning once and losing the next 3 times we played. I tried adjusting but the shortstop wouldn't adjust.

So, the player and I decide to put Bird on the shortstop. To get some of our money back. We give Bird the name of the bar in Jackson and the name of the shortstop and tell him that he (Bird) plays the 8 over the shortstop but that the shortstop can put a few racks together. All of which was true. Bird leaves and the player and I hit a few more joints in Vicksburg, to no avail.

The player and I get back to Jackson about 3AM and go to the all night bar that we sent Bird. We walk in and see Bird racking the balls, down with the shortstop we sent him to play.

The player and I watch as Bird loses game after game. We can't tell how much they are playing for but it looks like it's a hundred a game. Each time Bird loses a game he puts the cash on a table where a couple of guys that we know and some time stake us to play are sitting. One of the guys stuffs the cash in his pocket and Bird starts racking again.

A few games later, Bird sits down, telling the shortstop he needs the 8. The shortstop refuses to give up even the last 2 so Bird says he's all done.

Bird has seen the player and me sitting at a table and is giving us the dirtiest looks imaginable. Assuming we have double steered him and are really in with the shortstop.

The player and I get up and go to the bathroom hoping Bird will follow us in, he does. Bird says, "You double steering jerks, this guy is a player". We tell him he's wrong and ask how much he's down. He says $700 and he is playing for $100 now and doesn't have enough to play another game. He is still hot as hell and says it doesn't matter because he can't beat the guy any way.

We didn't want to take our friends money but didn't want Bird to go back to Dallas and tell, UJ, and consequently the pool world, that we had double steered him. So we figured when you get to a fork in the road you have to take the road that will make you money.....

The player and I tell Bird he has the nuts and that if he is through with the guy, to show him we didn't double steer him we would stake him. He says yes, I'm through and that he would play his heart out if we wanted to stake him. The player and I give Bird $1,000 and tell him to raise the bet to $200 and knock the guy on in.

Bird is now convinced that we have not double steered him. So he goes out, falls in dead stroke and proceeds to beat the guy to a pulp.

The shortstop and his stake horses leave so Bird comes over to our table and lays out $3,200. We take our $1,000 out and give him $1,100. Bird is happy as hell and back on the road again.

Great story Bill. I loved it. I saw Frank play a couple of times before he died. I thought I was the only one who would remember him. I think he almost won the BCA Eight Ball also, the year Jimmy Reid or Danny D. won.

I just remember being amazed by his light touch and near perfect control. And he was so damn frail. It looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. I felt so bad when I heard he was dying. That same year at the BCA, some guy came in wearing this weird Zorro style mask. And he played okay too. Does anyone remember that as well? I never knew who that guy was. When he got beat at the tournament, he just disappeared.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Great story Bill. I loved it. I saw Frank play a couple of times before he died. I thought I was the only one who would remember him. I think he almost won the BCA Eight Ball also, the year Jimmy Reid or Danny D. won.

I just remember being amazed by his light touch and near perfect control. And he was so damn frail. It looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. I felt so bad when I heard he was dying. That same year at the BCA, some guy came in wearing this weird Zorro style mask. And he played okay too. Does anyone remember that as well? I never knew who that guy was. When he got beat at the tournament, he just disappeared.

I moved to Chicago in late 1979 and remember vividly where I was when I heard, Frank, had passed away. I was in KC in 1983 beating the balls around and ran into Belinda Bearden, Campos, etc. We were talking about old Dallas days. I remember asking her how Frank was doing and she was shocked that I didn't know he had passed. I told her about the last time I had seen him and she suggested that was probably the last road trip he took. So sad.

I think I remember hearing about a guy wearing a mask playing in a tournament, Jay but I don't have a clue who it was. Sorry.