Heated tables

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How hot should the table surface be on a heated table? Can you damage anything by turning the temperature too high? If the temperature is very low, so you can barely feel it in your palm, is it even effective?

Thanks.

Deno J. Andrews

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iusedtoberich said:
How hot should the table surface be on a heated table? Can you damage anything by turning the temperature too high? If the temperature is very low, so you can barely feel it in your palm, is it even effective?

Thanks.
The table should be warm to the touch. I have heard from several table makers that the temperature of the table should be roughly ten deg (F) warmer than room temp. Since the surface of the hands are much cooler than body temp, a table that is ten deg warmer than the room should feel warm. If the table feels hot, the temp is too high. I am not sure that you can damage anything this way (just be sure the mechanic doesn't use beeswax to seem the slates), but it is a big wast of energy and the extra heat is not helping the purpose of eliminating the moisture from the table.

Deno Andrews

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Another question on the heated tables. I suppose the heating is done with some long zigzag electrical thermal resistor wire thingy ? Are those heating elements under the slate or could it be they are somehow installed inside the slate to make the table installing easier ? How many watts of heating power does a one table usually require ? 200W ? 500W ? 1000W or more ? I guess that creates quite a lot of heat and if the room is small, you'll end up raising the room temperature a few degrees, I presume. Do you think a small private room with a heated 3C table should have more ventilation to get rid of excess heat ?

Thanks in advance ! :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mjantti said:
Another question on the heated tables. I suppose the heating is done with some long zigzag electrical thermal resistor wire thingy ? ...
Typically, the heating elements are resistance wire mounted on plywood, and the plywood is placed up against the bottom of the slate. With the skirts on the table and the cross-members, this forms closed chambers between the plywood and the slate to avoid losing heat to air circulation. The power required is about 600W max. The table is only slightly warm to the touch -- maybe 10 degrees above room temperature. I think heat from the table is not an issue for room ventilation.

On a related note, I hear that some snooker tables are also heated now.

deep

OFF THE CHAIN
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
On a related note, I hear that some snooker tables are also heated now.

I've played on a heated snooker table and it felt like the heat was mainly running down the center of the table roughly around the brown,blue and black spots. Is this the same case with 3c tables or is there heat more evenly disributed?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
deep said:
I've played on a heated snooker table and it felt like the heat was mainly running down the center of the table roughly around the brown,blue and black spots. Is this the same case with 3c tables or is there heat more evenly disributed?
I think it's more even on carom tables. See above for my description of the "heater box" that's constructed under the slate.

Deno J. Andrews

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deep said:
The heat on a carom table is very even. Despite some snooker tables being heated for many years already, I have not heard that the technology has caught up to the snooker world yet with regard for the need for heat.
Deno

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Thanks for your replies. Embedding the heat element(s) with plywood makes sense.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never noticed a power cord going to a heated table. How is this done?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
efirkey said:
I've never noticed a power cord going to a heated table. How is this done?
With a power cord in the floor. In ballroom tournament settings, if you look closely, you'll see power strips taped to the carpet, usually.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our room had an electrician come and break the cement in a straight line going from the wall to under the tables. This way, the cord fits in the groove and everything is perfectly flush when the carpet is replaced.