Helmstetter cues

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I am possibly picking up one on trade but quickly realized I don't know much about them. This one is an aged maple with a darker wood of unknown origin for points. Has Helmstetter in between the points and other than that, a get plain cue. The joint threads have some aging on them and there is a few little spots where the finish has bubbled over the years.

My concern is I don't know the value, when about it was made and to be honest, I don't want to trade out if its of more value because this is from a good friend. I don't want to end up feeling like I'm getting the better bargain because I am a very fair person.

Can anybody help? I'll post pics when I have it in my possession, but it can always go back once I figure what it is.

A catalog link would help too.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of people know Helmstetters here.

Probably best if you post a pic. But if it needs a refinish that probably eats up most of the value on it.

Most of them aren't worth a lot, though they are pretty decent cues. Some of them that are very old or limited in production can be worth more.

Without seeing the cue it's very hard to say.

They were made by Adam in Japan.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Well that's why I ask. I believe its a Richard Helmstetter. I don't know what that does to value. Also I was informed by the current owner its late 70's and a refinish would diminish value.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of people know Helmstetters here.

Probably best if you post a pic. But if it needs a refinish that probably eats up most of the value on it.

Most of them aren't worth a lot, though they are pretty decent cues. Some of them that are very old or limited in production can be worth more.

Without seeing the cue it's very hard to say.

They were made by Adam in Japan.

I just bought a Adams cue that was produced from the mid 70s into the early 80s. Do you know how I might go about determining if it is a Helmstetter cue?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that's why I ask. I believe its a Richard Helmstetter. I don't know what that does to value. Also I was informed by the current owner its late 70's and a refinish would diminish value.

I doubt that a refinish would diminish the value, but I could be wrong. It really depends on how bad it is for one thing.

A top notch refinish could preserve the Helmstetter signature logo if that is your concern. It can also be reproduced by a good refinisher if necessary.

There were many cues labeled Richard Helmstetter, they were all made in the Adam factory. We really do need to see pics.

We don't know what you traded it for either, so it's hard to say how you did in the deal.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a Adams cue that was produced from the mid 70s into the early 80s. Do you know how I might go about determining if it is a Helmstetter cue?

If it does not say Helmstetter or RCH on it then perhaps researching old catalogs. Posting a pic in the forums can track it down. Some people here have the old catalogs or can even ID the cues on site.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I'm trading for the Adams case Jayman had on ebay so I don't want to rip him off or get skimmed either

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
If it is signed as RCH or Helmstetter then its probably a production cue, I believe if its signed as Richard Helmstetter with a date it could be by him.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
The cue in question looks like the 97-4. Hard to tell with the black and white pic though.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is signed as RCH or Helmstetter then its probably a production cue, I believe if its signed as Richard Helmstetter with a date it could be by him.

As far as I know the very early cues (pre-Adam) made by him personally were mostly (all?) unsigned.

AFAIK the ones with Richard Helmstetter on them are transfer signatures and the cues were made in the Adam factory. Yes, some of them were numbered and limited, but I don't believe even those very limited ones were made by his hand.

There were several ways that his "signature" appeared actually.

Of course, I could be wrong.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
If he wants the case and you want the cue then there is no scam. Each gets what he wants.

Well its a family trade meaning if the case or cue go up for sale, we'll offer it to eachother first. I'm good with that, but don't want to end up too far ahead and feel indebted.

I'm gonna have to shoot with it a bit.first to see how much I really like it.

Does anybody have the value for the 97-4?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Well its a family trade meaning if the case or cue go up for sale, we'll offer it to eachother first. I'm good with that, but don't want to end up too far ahead and feel indebted.

I'm gonna have to shoot with it a bit.first to see how much I really like it.

Does anybody have the value for the 97-4?

It is probably a $200 cue roughly depending on shape.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:frown:

If I were to sell mine, I'd try and get $200 for it.

I paid $219 for the FG-5 around 35 years ago.:frown:

Last edited:

cuesterpat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adam FG--5

I remember seeing one of these back in the day. $219.00 35 years ago was a lot of money for an Adam. I would guess the value of your cue in very good shape might be in the $600.00 to $750.00 range.