Help needed with spraying bocote - desperately !

barryr

Registered
Hi . I've been making a new cue for my lad whos'birthday is on Sunday. Anyway , the cues'done except the finish coats. I normally use polyurethane spray which goes on smooth and easy. However , the parts of the butt made from bocote dont want to accept a finish properly , it remains sticky presumably due to ther woods oil content , I have seen it a few times with bocote. I've tried sandin sealer and superglue under the poly but no real success .

Is there a method of sealing up the bocote so the poly will dry properly .

Not a lot of supplies here in South Australia so any ideas or help are appreciated !

Barry

dunkelcustomcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you try wiping it down with acetone prior to applying your finish? If you have access to West Systems epoxy as a sealer coat that would give you the best results.

Last edited:

barryr

Registered
Did you try wiping it down with acetone prior to applying your finish? If you have access to West Systems epoxy as a sealer coat that would give you the best results.

Thanks for your reply .
I did try thinners to wipe it down , but I guess straight acetone may be stronger. I can try when I get home from work today . Is the epoxy coat as well as the acetone wipe down or instead of ?

ps. got to leave for work now , I'll check back as soon as I get back tonight. Thankyou again.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bacote is a wood I use often. The ONLY reason you would have that problem is that you are not mixing the paint in the proper proportions. I use a touch-up gun & measure the paint & hardener with a metal measuring spoon (4-1 for my Dupont Chromeaclear...JER

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
do a epoxy seal first then sand smooth with 220 and spray away.

I agree. Bacote is a very porous wood, seal it with bsi or west system 207, sand it spray it. After u sand it use denatured alcohol to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barryr

Registered
Bacote is a wood I use often. The ONLY reason you would have that problem is that you are not mixing the paint in the proper proportions. I use a touch-up gun & measure the paint & hardener with a metal measuring spoon (4-1 for my Dupont Chromeaclear...JER

Thanks for all the replies.

The clear polyurethane I use is Cabbots and it comes in a pressurised can ! The only one that comes out very nice .

I also have a compressor and spray equipment and tried an automotive acrylic but that didnt like it either .I mixed it at around 100 ml acrylic and 125 ml thinners but again one side of the butt end was not drying properly and remained tacky and somewhat soft .

Not sure on woods age , it comes from Bellforest products and happy with the wood they send me but I cant tell moisture content.

I dont have access to West Sytems epoxy , is that a very thin epoxy ?

Penrose Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies.

The clear polyurethane I use is Cabbots and it comes in a pressurised can ! The only one that comes out very nice .

I also have a compressor and spray equipment and tried an automotive acrylic but that didnt like it either .I mixed it at around 100 ml acrylic and 125 ml thinners but again one side of the butt end was not drying properly and remained tacky and somewhat soft .

Not sure on woods age , it comes from Bellforest products and happy with the wood they send me but I cant tell moisture content.

I dont have access to West Sytems epoxy , is that a very thin epoxy ?

You could make a superglue finish on the cue. Works for me...

Just my two cents...

barryr

Registered
You could make a superglue finish on the cue. Works for me...

Just my two cents...

Trie that , thought it would solve the problem but either I didnt get a consisitent coat or it just didnt like it , rarely have these problems but unfortunately this time I do !

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
I've made two cues using bocote for points. I just wiped it down with acetone and started brushing on the Cue Cote. It turned out great.