help with 13x40 JET

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am having a little trouble with the tail stock on my JET13x40 BD.when i push the handle up to lock the tail stock into place for drilling the chuck/drill bit actually moves down a few thousandths,maybe .005" even.

does anyone have any experience with this.maybe why it's doing it(hopefully it's not worn out).

when i run it up to the wood the bit is dead nuts or within .001" and the i lock it in and it drops down a few thousandths.it's driving me crazy any help would be appreciated.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mason:

There is a little set screw where the cylinder goes in on the bottom side. have you tried tightening it up some? I had to on mine.

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
Mason what happens when you snug the lock on the quill? Does the bit come back up? Make sure there isn't an junk under the tailstock between the base and the ways.

John

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when i was doing it the quill was locked.didn't really try it both ways.

i think maybe the clamp underneath is worn out or broken or?

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when i was doing it the quill was locked.didn't really try it both ways.

i think maybe the clamp underneath is worn out or broken or?

The clamp nor lever should affect anything as far as the stability of the tail-stock. The tail-stock is supposed to set flat on the rails. The only way one end of the tail stock can move in any vertical direction it must pivot on something. So, either there is some kind of debris or shavings between the rails and the bottom of the tail-stock or the tail-stock is worn so badly from being moved back and forth on the rails with out proper lubrication or the casting has moved or twisted so that the forward end of the tail-stock is slightly not perfectly flat so that when tightened down it can rock slightly. The bottom of the casting must be checked for perfect flatness with a accurate straight edge. If it is not perfectly flat, or has something in bedded into the casting, the tail-stock base will need to be taken to a good machine shop and the base ground perfectly flat once again. Of coarse this action will now make the tail-stock lower than it should be but that can be corrected by shimming between the two halves of the tail-stock so as to bring it back into correct tolerance.

Dick

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I have no experience with this lathe, but might it be possible that you are clamping it too tightly ? After playing with dial indicators and cast iron machinery I have found it possible to deflect things where you might not think they could move. Just an idea. Hope you get this resolved.

Dave

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no experience with this lathe, but might it be possible that you are clamping it too tightly ?

i know what you mean b/c the tighter i make it the more it moves,but it starts moving as soon as a even snug it up.