Help with Break Tips

et1987

Registered
Hello guys,

Since I started basic maintenance, my biggest concern is about installing break tips. My success rate is probably about 50%. I tried looking up for help and followed every advice that I can get.

And so, recently, I changed to another brand of glue and it was working well since I started using it. Five break tips I've installed since the day I changed the brand. Then, just earlier this evening, I encountered a drop off again. This tip was installed about two days ago and during the process of installation, everything went smoothly. The customer can only collect a couple of days later so I thought it would be better since the glue can be left to cure completely.

Then earlier this evening when he collected, he came back after a while and told me the tip dropped. I then installed a new one for him. Unfortunately, it too dropped after a while.

I did everything I could, from making sure the surface of the ferrule is flat, the glue side of the tip is flat. I also let the tip stay on the ferrule for a good period (say half an hour), for the glue to be completely 'dry' before starting to turn down the tip. Again, process was smooth while turning down. No signs of dislocation. But at the end of the night before closing, he came back with the tip dropped off again.

I humbly ask for your assistance and hope I can be enlightened again... :(

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might want to post the tip and glue you are using.
That will help the cue makers a lot.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't put too much pressure on the tip or you'll squeeze out all the glue, just normal pressure with your finger tip, then apply around the same pressure with your tail stock to let it dry. Make sure both faces are flat, lightly sand each with 220, use good new super glue, Loctite control gel is what I prefer. If you don't use the whole bottle in a month, toss it. They are only $4. If it's a super hard tip, like a samsara or similar, I like to cut them down at least half way, less shearing force when they miscue.

Above is what works for me, hope that helps.

et1987

Registered
You might want to post the tip and glue you are using.
That will help the cue makers a lot.

Hello measureman,

Appreciate the reminder! :)

But to be fair, the five tips installed successfully with no issue till date are of the same brand. So I guess it'll be better if this is discussed in private if brand is to be involved.

But glue wise, I was using Loctite Gel Control previously but with no luck. Then I recently switched to Krazy Glue Maximum Bond (No Run Gel) which yielded the good result of the five tips.

et1987

Registered
don't put too much pressure on the tip or you'll squeeze out all the glue, just normal pressure with your finger tip, then apply around the same pressure with your tail stock to let it dry. Make sure both faces are flat, lightly sand each with 220, use good new super glue, Loctite control gel is what I prefer. If you don't use the whole bottle in a month, toss it. They are only $4. If it's a super hard tip, like a samsara or similar, I like to cut them down at least half way, less shearing force when they miscue.

Above is what works for me, hope that helps.

Hi radge69,

Thanks for your input! :)

Pressure... This reminded me, when the tip dropped off, the surfaces on both the tip and ferrule is rather clean. So there is a possibility that I have applied too much pressure that the glue gets all squeezed out?

Making sure that both the surfaces are flat has always been the top priority. To be honest, I go some extents to really make sure they are really flat. But may I ask what is the method you use to make sure of that? For me, I use a blade to do that.

And unfortunately, Loctite Gel Control is not very readily available in my country. Have to be imported. I remember my very first bottle cost me about USD30 inclusive of shipping. It was only when I asked a friend to help get a few bottles when he was in the States that I got it for $4. And now I'm left with the last bottle, have to start sourcing for other alternatives. Currently at the moment, I've switched to Krazy Glue Maximum Bond (No Run Gel) for break tips particularly.

Last edited:

et1987

Registered
Is it also recommended to let the completed tip sit for at least a day to let the glue cure completely? Or if the above are all done right, the break tip can be used straight away?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What break tip are we talking about? One brand in particular is notorious for popping off.
I always let the tip sit on as long as I can after gluing,
But that's partly superstition on my part..
If it hasn't cured well after 15 minutes, using Loctite 401 and a kicker, it's never going to work...
I have had one tip come loose this year, out of several hundred tip changes, with all kinds of tip/ferrule combos.
The one that got loose, was a customer that did not have time to wait 15 minutes...
I use light preassure with a small concave live center in my tailstock when trimming off the excess tip and i prefer a very sharp HSS parting blade for cutting.
If I do layered leather tips, I use the regular razor trimming way. Just make shure you change blade for every tip.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
There are 2 big reasons break tips come off...IMO.
#1 is that careful prep of ferrule and tip do not occur, #2 is even if #1 is followed, the guy/gal breaking is basically miscuing and subjecting the tip to a huge shear force and the tip will pop off eventually no matter what prep was followed. IMO, that's when educating the player is a must.....
Mainly the first reason is the main reason. One can drill thru ferrules and tips and install pins, etc... but it's just a work around for not doing a good prep before hand. Knowing what to do takes time and effort, and trial and error to find what works. Some find the right combo pretty fast, others wallow and come up with it after awhile, others just never understand the right way and come up with crazy work around's that compromise the ferrule, among other issues that can arise.
I have replaced ferrules that I couldn't get a tip to stay on, but finally someone here gave me some insight, and I found the way to do the job, and not have to replace the ferrule. It wasn't spoon fed, just enough info and questions to lead me in the right direction. I now have A level players that break with tips I've installed and not one has come back yet for a failed tip, not bragging, just saying.
Many thanks to the guy who helped me with this a few years ago.....:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2: You know who you are!!
Dave

Last edited: