Hendricks' History of Billiards: Exam Answers

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
So I recently read William Hendricks' History of Billiards. Great book, very interesting (despite a subject that has the potential to be very dry) and the guy clearly had phenomenal amount of knowledge.

At the end of the book I was surprised to find an exam. But sure, why not? A hundred(!) questions later, I discover he didn't give us any answers!

Just in case, does anyone know if they're out there?

I thought I'd see if I could look him up. It's a very old book, and I thought he might get a kick out of someone sending in their answer sheet for marking. But sadly he died a few years ago.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hendricks produced about ten different versions of his "History of Billiards". The latest one I have (1997) is titled "William Hendricks' Official Standard History of Pool Billiards Snooker" on the cover but retains the more succinct title on the title page. Based on a correction sheet in my 1997 copy, there were later printings in 2002 and 2003. There were two versions of the first edition.

The quiz first appears in the third version (1977). None of the versions includes an answer sheet for the quiz but presumably all of them include all of the answers. :)

It appears Hendricks used the book as a textbook for a course in the Physical Education Department at Southern Illinois University and maybe a faculty member knows where an answer sheet might be. (The department now appears to be called "Exercise Science".)

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Hendricks produced about ten different versions of his "History of Billiards". The latest one I have (1997) is titled "William Hendricks' Official Standard History of Pool Billiards Snooker" on the cover but retains the more succinct title on the title page. Based on a correction sheet in my 1997 copy, there were later printings in 2002 and 2003. There were two versions of the first edition.

The quiz first appears in the third version (1977). None of the versions includes an answer sheet for the quiz but presumably all of them include all of the answers. :)

It appears Hendricks used the book as a textbook for a course in the Physical Education Department at Southern Illinois University and maybe a faculty member knows where an answer sheet might be. (The department now appears to be called "Exercise Science".)
Do you think the archives of billiards' history would benefit from an answer sheet, being put 'out there', on the web? I could give Southern Illinois a prod and see if they have anything :) I think it would be a long shot though.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your knowledge of the history of the game and it's publications always astounds me.
Kudos.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've sent the University an e-mail. It seems like a long shot, but I'll keep the thread informed!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've sent the University an e-mail. It seems like a long shot, but I'll keep the thread informed!
If no help from there , maybe post the questions and see if the members here can answer them , you would need to have someone verify the answers who has access to a book. I nominate Bob Jewett.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
They never answered, but it was a long shot. I might go back through the questions and check the answers in the book some time. I suspect Bob would know a lot of them, but it seems unkind to ask!

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Bob--do you know if Hendricks published anything on billiards before 1974? He doesn't mention any earlier works in his History of Billiards. Nor does Dyer in his obit.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob--do you know if Hendricks published anything on billiards before 1974? He doesn't mention any earlier works in his History of Billiards. Nor does Dyer in his obit.
I think his History was his college thesis. I vaguely recall seeing articles in magazines by him, but I suspect they were all derived from the History.