"Hey, where's your break cue?"

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night, my teammate asked me "Hey Gregg, where's your break cue?"

My response? "It's in my cue case."

And that was all I had to say about that. I don't need to sit around and worry about someone who will not care for my equipment like I would.

My Sledgehammer has already struck a table lamp during an errant break by a teammate.

It also has been rolled off the wall by a teammate who thought my cues can defy gravity by leaning against a wall at 45 degree angle into a high traffic area of the pool hall. It didn't.

It's not that I'm over protective or anal, I just don't want someone using my cues who doesn't have a reverence for fine pool equipment, or how to care for it.

Last edited:

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
I don't blame you Gregg, there's too many careless bastards that have absolutely no respect for other people's property. I was raised to take better care of other people's stuff than if it were my own. Don't you hate it when someone wanders in on tournament or league night and does the "hey, anybody got a cue I can borrow"

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Gregg said:
Last night, my teammate asked me "Hey Gregg, where's your break cue?"

My response? "It's in my cue case."

And that was all I had to say about that. I don't need to sit around and worry about someone who will not care for my equipment like I would.

My Sledgehammer has already struck a table lamp during an errant break by a teammate.

It also has been rolled off the wall by a teammate who thought my cues can defy gravity by leaning against a wall at 45 degree angle into a high traffic area of the pool hall. It didn't.

It's not that I'm over protective or anal, I just don't want someone using my cues who doesn't have a reverence for fine pool equipment.

I don't allow anybody to use any of my cues at all for any reason.

Story 1 - A few months ago, Tommy Kennedy was doing a trick shot demonstration. He pulled a girl from the crowd to make the trick shot. She looked as if she had never held a cue before. She hit the shot and proceeded to drop Tommy's playing cue on the floor (This was at Cunninghams in Vero Beach, Florida - no carpet - just cement). OUCH!

Story 2 - I am at a UPA event and ProPlayerX asks me if I have an extra shaft that would fit his cue. He had equipment issues and I thought I would be nice and I allowed him to use my shaft to play his match while his was being fixed. During his match, I look over and he is using COURSE sandpaper on my brand new shaft. I went ballistic. I don't lend out my shafts anymore either.

Story 3 - I am playing in the weekly tournament at Click's in El Paso. I am in between matches, and this lady I had never seen before has her match called. She didn't have her own cue. I'm sitting there talking with a friend of mine sitting on a stool with my cue, which is leaning against my leg. This lady comes over and grabs my cue and starts walking away. She never said a word to me when she did it. I chase after her and tell her to give me my cue back. She looks at me, looks at the cue, shrugs her shoulders and starts walking around the pool table with it. I tell her that it's my cue and that she can't use it, and I finally grab it away from her. It was then that I heard the dumbest words that were ever uttered in my presence... "I don't know what you're so mad about. Nobody else was using it." Obviously she was the end result of what happens when lovers share a bottle of Tequila and decide to conceive children.

Last edited:

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont blame you either. my break cue is a community cue, its all banged up now.
a couple weeks ago i was practicing before leauge and after the rack i was looking for a place to lean my cue. the bar was a lot more crowded than normal so i was just standing there looking around for a good place and my teammate grabbed my stick and said "right here" (with a face that said after all these years you dont know this trick yet) and put it in between the back rest and the seat of a steel framed chair. :eek:

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
I learned the hard way...now I simply don't loan my personal cues. And believe me I get asked a lot. People are always "hey Varney let me try out one of your break cues"...."sorry but the only one I have is MINE".:)

Straw_Hat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't let anyone play with any of my cues.. i learned my lesson when i was 16 and someone used my cue.. then for whatever reason decided to lay it down and try to jump a ball over it.. smashing into my cue and knocking a chunk out of it. it was my first "nicer cue" and i was very upset... also i normally play with a sneaky pete when just shooting balls around in a busy place it never ceases to amaze me how often I'll go to the restroom if it's busy and come back and have to go around the room hunting down my cue... but as far as break cues, I just break with what I shoot with so I no longer have to worry about that.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Just give it to me. I'll take care of it.

I don't mind lending out my gear to people I know will care for it. And we all know accidents happen.

It's the mindless neglect I can't tolerate.

Straw_Hat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only problem I have letting even those that really respect the cues from borrowing mine is the fact I have a problem with chalk on the ferrule and it drives me mad cleaning it off after.. it seems most people don't really think about even that little thing ..

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
s13_ka24de said:
the only problem I have letting even those that really respect the cues from borrowing mine is the fact I have a problem with chalk on the ferrule and it drives me mad cleaning it off after.. it seems most people don't really think about even that little thing ..

I'm also mindful of this, but that I can clean that off.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Treat your cue like your "significant other". Baby her, look after her, and don't loan her out. That's how I treat my cues, as well as the cues of others that I repair.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
s13_ka24de said:

Personally, I don't care about that because you can get rid of the chalk easily. Nicks, scrapes, dents, and chips are my biggest concern, along with damage to the cue joint.

Straw_Hat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gregg said:
I'm also mindful of this, but that I can clean that off.

I agree it's a little thing and easy to fix.. It's just the reason I hesitate or deny perhaps a seasoned player my cue..

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Personally, I don't care about that because you can get rid of the chalk easily. Nicks, scrapes, dents, and chips are my biggest concern, along with damage to the cue joint.

Don't you just love it when someone borrows your cue then proceeds to tap the shaft & ferrule on the pocket they are calling? :p

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They usually use the shaft to move the balls on the table, or in other words, hitting the balls with your shaft :(

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also don't mind letting friends or quality players use my cue if I am not.

Anyone else....forget it!!

At a tournament one night a buddy left his cue leaning in a corner and when he came back to get it, it was gone !!! I helped him search for it and found it in the hands of a 20 something, SMOKIN' HOT babe !!! The funny part was when she started arguing with my freind that it was absolutely not a custom cue, but just a house cue and he could not have it back !!!! We both couldn't believe it as it looks nothing like a house cue. After about 5 minutes of arguing, he called over the TD who was friends with this girl and just said...."Give him back his cue" !!

I guess all the looks in the world can't make up for lack of common sense!!

Russ.......

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WesleyW said:
They usually use the shaft to move the balls on the table, or in other words, hitting the balls with your shaft :(

The only balls that will be hit with my shaft are my own!!!!!!!!!

:D

Russ.......