Heyball?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I don't follow Chinese 8ball in great detail, but it looks like the sport has been rebranded as "heyball' in the English language by Joy and the other big promoters? Or is there a difference between heyball and what we call Chinese 8ball?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
R.0867d07839878685a8ab50f392840a23

Ooops, wrong hey.

Nevermind.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't follow Chinese 8ball in great detail, but it looks like the sport has been rebranded as "heyball' in the English language by Joy and the other big promoters? Or is there a difference between heyball and what we call Chinese 8ball?
Who knows. Pretty sure its just a name change. Sounds goofy as shit to me. Its boring as hell to watch.

Last edited:

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Just chk'd their FB page. Same game, goofy new name.

Yeah I watched a few of the videos and it looks like the same rules as well but I wasn't sure. I don't know Mandarin to know what the game is actually called in China. But Heyball seems like a really strange name to target English-speaking audiences.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I watched a few of the videos and it looks like the same rules as well but I wasn't sure. I don't know Mandarin to know what the game is actually called in China. But Heyball seems like a really strange name to target English-speaking audiences.
I wonder if they drive 'Rincons'? ;)

oknazevad

Registered
Yeah, the ICEA, Joy (the table manufactured that is the main sponsor of the Masters series tournaments), and the promoters have taken to calling it "heyball" to distinguish it from other types of 8-ball, much as British 8-ball is also called "blackball". The name, I believe, is a phonetic transliteration of the Chinese name, which itself is a transliteration (not translation) of "8-ball". You can kinda hear it if you mumble the words "eight ball". Frankly, I think it's a terrible name.

Bump.

I guess the differences in heyball vs. (American) 8-ball vs. blackball ruleswise (I know the tables/pockets/balls are not uniform) is mostly in what is a foul and how that foul is adjudicated?