Historic Cues. Do you have any?

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
Great Post!

I Really Enjoy this Post. I have a Few I will Post Later.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
One of pools best comebacks, after a layoff, is the 1967 US Open Tournament win by Jimmy Caras. Jimmy had been retired for about 5 years or there abouts and decided to play again. This is the Rambow he WON that tournament with. The case was also made by Rambow.

JV

Attachments

• 1108_oal_hi_rambow_caras.jpg
    1108_oal_hi_rambow_caras.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,585

ProZack

Silver Member
Hoppe, Palmer, Meyer

1st Cue is a Old Willie Hoppe Titlist Cue. There were so Many Great Cue Makers who used these Blanks in their cues. Some of these are George Balabushka, Peter Balner (Palmer), Herman Rambow, and Frank Paradise

2nd Cue is a Palmer Cue. 2nd Catalog Model G. Peter Balner, his wife Ilona, and his son Peter made these cues. Palmer Cue's are Very Collectable and Continue to go up in Value. He also used Forearm Blanks from Legendary Cue Makers such as Gus Szamboti.

3rd Cue is a Karl Mayer. He is one of the Lesser known Cue makers in this Series of Cues. But also one of my Favorite cues in my collection. I understand that Karl Mayer worked with Palmer Cue's and eventually went on his own. He and his wife Traveled from Town to Town Selling his cues. He used Forearm Blanks from Burton Spain. Always wonder if this is a Spain or Palmer Blank.

There are Far more knowledgeable people than me. But I really enjoy Finding these Old Beautiful Cues and Cherish every one.

Attachments

• 20160407_125442-1.jpg
    20160407_125442-1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,418
  • 20160407_125117-1.jpg
    20160407_125117-1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,560
  • 20160407_124959-1.jpg
    20160407_124959-1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,527
Last edited:

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st Cue is a Old Willie Hoppe Titlist Cue. There were so Many Great Cue Makers who used these Blanks in their cues. Some of these are George Balabushka, Peter Balner (Palmer), Herman Rambow, and Frank Paradise

2nd Cue is a Palmer Cue. 2nd Catalog Model G. Peter Balner, his wife Ilona, and his son Peter made these cues. Palmer Cue's are Very Collectable and Continue to go up in Value. He also used Forearm Blanks from Legendary Cue Makers such as Gus Szamboti.

3rd Cue is a Karl Mayer. He is one of the Lesser known Cue makers in this Series of Cues. But also one of my Favorite cues in my collection. I understand that Karl Mayer worked with Palmer Cue's and eventually went on his own. He and his wife Traveled from Town to Town Selling his cues. He used Forearm Blanks from Burton Spain. Always wonder if this is a Spain or Palmer Blank.

There are Far more knowledgeable people than me. But I really enjoy Finding these Old Beautiful Cues and Cherish every one.

Nice cues (love the hoppe looks to be in great shape ) but I think it's quite the contrary with Palmers these days. They have fallen in value quite a bit .

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Great cues, ProZack. This is old school of the 60s and 70s.

Actually, Peter Balner's father was Eugene (Gene) Balner, not another Peter. And the connection among Balner (Palmer name cues), Frank Paradise, and Karl Mayer is very strong, indeed. I think they shared a lot of knowledge at that time.

Since you've gone into that era, which I think is historic, here is a Gene Balner model C Palmer, probably from the late 60s. Refinished since then, but this was one of Palmer's tributes to Herman Rambow.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• DSCN0347.jpg
    DSCN0347.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,422
  • DSCN0361.jpg
    DSCN0361.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,321

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pambow

Did someone say Palmer and Rambow in the same sentence?

First Catalog Model 4 and Second Catalog Model C

Attachments

• P4075700.jpg
    P4075700.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,458
  • P4075701.jpg
    P4075701.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,415
  • P4075702.jpg
    P4075702.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,444
  • P4075703.jpg
    P4075703.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,450

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
One of pools best comebacks, after a layoff, is the 1967 US Open Tournament win by Jimmy Caras. Jimmy had been retired for about 5 years or there abouts and decided to play again. This is the Rambow he WON that tournament with. The case was also made by Rambow.

JV

Wonderful cue, Joe, historic indeed. I believe this 1967 tournament made Jimmy Caras the oldest winner of the US Open tournament ever. This is according to a conversation on an accu-stats tape among Grady Matthews, Bill Staton, and Johnny Ervolino. Johnny was the one who knew that stat.

Jimmy Caras had published "Pocket Billiard Fundamentals and Trick Shots Made Easy," reprinted several times, but the latest in 1969. He is shown with a Rambow cue in this book. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same cue you have pictured, below. That's like owning some of the crown jewels of billiards.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Caras 3.jpg
    Caras 3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,381

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Did someone say Palmer and Rambow in the same sentence?

First Catalog Model 4 and Second Catalog Model C

Other than the Palmer Model C, I think the Model 4 is even more rare, both tributes to Rambow.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

ProZack

Silver Member
History was Never my Strong Subject in School.. I'm still learning.. but I really enjoy this stuff all the same.

ProZack

Silver Member
There are a variety of opinions on the cue market. I would rather have 10 Palmer Cue's valued around $1,000 vs 10 cues from today's cue makers valued at $1,000. Maybe it's my personal opinion but there is a collectable value to them.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There are a variety of opinions on the cue market. I would rather have 10 Palmer Cue's valued around $1,000 vs 10 cues from today's cue makers valued at $1,000. Maybe it's my personal opinion but there is a collectable value to them.

You and I are in the same camp. Palmers were built by real hands.

All the best,
WW

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
The Million Dollar Cue

Here is a cue I think is pretty historic, maybe not this particular one but this line of cues. This particular one is a cue I won from Earl Strickland at an exhibition he put on in 1996 (in a raffle) when Earl was on top of the pool world. He used this cue for the show that day & put on a great show.

The cue is significant in that he won several world titles with the white/black cue, while putting CUE TEC on the map & winning the million dollar challenge & playing Efren in the Color of Money $100,000 Challenge. Now SVB can be seen using a white/black Cue Tech. I think we can all say its the indian not the arrow & I think he proved that while owning the pool world with it for a few years....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajE9FvI0xuA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgVPmjLkQq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYhtmTdza4

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Here is a cue I think is pretty historic, maybe not this particular one but this line of cues. This particular one is a cue I won from Earl Strickland at an exhibition he put on in 1996 (in a raffle) when Earl was on top of the pool world. He used this cue for the show that day & put on a great show.

The cue is significant in that he won several world titles with the white/black cue, while putting CUE TEC on the map & winning the million dollar challenge & playing Efren in the Color of Money $100,000 Challenge. Now SVB can be seen using a white/black Cue Tech. I think we can all say its the indian not the arrow & I think he proved that while owning the pool world with it for a few years....

Couldn't agree with you more, Travis. Earl and Allison proved you didn't need a several thousand dollar cue to win tournaments, and this model of Cuetec makes its presence on many winning videos.

Th Indian and the arrow comparison is valid also. When Earl transitioned from Meucci to Cuetec, "Spanish Mike" Lebron, for example, won a lot of money and tournaments with a merry widow Muecci that at the time was probably about $185. Great post.

All the best,
WW

billl67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bushka spain blank

please be sure to have pete tascarella have that restoration done for you. good luck

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajE9FvI0xuA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgVPmjLkQq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYhtmTdza4

Here is Earl playing with one in the 1996 Million Dollar Challenge the tournament in Dallas when he won the million by running the 11 racks.

The other picture is CJ Wiley playing with a McDermott RS-11 that he used to beat Earl in the same tournament and win 1st place. I own this cue. It only was used for this tournament and then never used in another. It has a 100% professional tournament win rate. It probably never missed more than 3 or 4 balls until I got it. LOL.

Attachments

• Earl cuetec.jpg
    Earl cuetec.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,658
  • CJ RS-11.jpg
    CJ RS-11.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,559

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rare Palmer

One of the cues I feel fortunate to have acquired. This is a sister to the Jack Colavita Palmer. Peter Balner himself confirmed to me that this was made by his father Eugene and is one cue of a very limited run of cues.

Attachments

• Palmer Colavita Sister Cue - 1.jpg
    Palmer Colavita Sister Cue - 1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,656
  • Palmer Colavita Sister Cue - 2.jpg
    Palmer Colavita Sister Cue - 2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,672
  • Palmer Colavita Sister Cue - 3.jpg
    Palmer Colavita Sister Cue - 3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,663
  • Palmer Colavita Sister Cue - 4.jpg
    Palmer Colavita Sister Cue - 4.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,665

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dig it.

To me a historic cue needs something.

Words like:

Only one.
First one.
Last one.
Won xxxx championship.
Owned and played extensively by (name historic player).
Broke the mold.
Changed the direction of cue making.
Set a standard.
Ties to a greater point in history. (example would be the non-brass war time Brunswick Hoppe cues)

If you were going to write a book on the history of cues, a historic cue would be in that book. Specifically that cue, not an example, but that cue. Certainly there are exceptions like the war time Hoppe cues, unless you can show me the first one or last one which I think at this point is impossible.

Where is the cheap cue that Reyes broke onto the scene with?

Who has Bill Strouds last cue?

Stroud claims to have been the first to core a cue. Where is it?

Mizerak owned many cues and did not play most of them. Where is his Bushka?

Where is the first Joss? Where is the last cue Stroud made with Janes?

That Rempe cue we saw in this forum made by Joss that is tied to Rempe himself? Why is it not in this thread?

Prototypes for Cuetec? Protoypes for Predator? Where are they?

Bob Beucci is said to have made his earliest Meucci brand cues like Huebler, with nylon inserts. Show me one.

Where are the cues from the movie The Hustler?

Where are the cues from The Color of Money?

Where are the cues featured on the covers of the magazines we were reading 30 years ago? Pool & Billiards and Billiards Digest come to mind but there are more of course. And I mean the exact cue in the picture.

Where is the first Black Boar with a crown butt cap?

This is a very cool thread. :thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other picture is CJ Wiley playing with a McDermott RS-11 that he used to beat Earl in the same tournament and win 1st place. I own this cue. It only was used for this tournament and then never used in another. It has a 100% professional tournament win rate. It probably never missed more than 3 or 4 balls until I got it. LOL.

That's a piece of cue history. :thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the cues I feel fortunate to have acquired. This is a sister to the Jack Colavita Palmer. Peter Balner himself confirmed to me that this was made by his father Eugene and is one cue of a very limited run of cues.

I love that cue!
:thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Thread..........

Here are a few oldies but goodies...........

Top cue is a 1971 Bushka....original and has ivory, bottom cue is George Jr.'s cue built for him by his father..Balabushka Sr. in 1969ish and features all original condition with leather wrap....

George Jr's cue!

Holy crap!

Dig it! :thumbup: