Home room dilemma

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok guys this is my first post, been lurking since October. I'm converting my garage to my home pool room. I have installed a door and am getting ready to put up dry wall and outdoor carpet down in case of balls coming off the table. Only other features in the room will be a dart board and tv. My issue is that I have a 8' imperial international (at least that's what the craigslist guy told me) and I'm stuck between either having the table removed and buying a gold crown (if I can find one close) or totally redo the table with new rails pockets and Simonis. I'd love to get a diamond just don't have the funds right away. I'm open ears to all suggestions and thanks in advance.........current table/ room pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 565

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cost of fixing a table is not cheap. I have found that in the long run, it makes better sense to buy a new or like new table and never have to touch it.

You can pump all the money you want into that table and it will only be worth about market value. The same is true with a GC and a Diamond. Diamond seems to hold value better than the GC.

I would save the needed money for the table you want and leave your current table alone.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would save the needed money for the table you want and leave your current table alone.

A table is a lifetime of fun. Buy it right the first time. Save and buy the one you really want is correct.

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys I'm just having trouble justifying spending upwards of 6000 for a new diamond vs 650 for new rails, Simonis, and new pockets. Plus I could have the pockets shimmed. Honestly even if I do decide to get a diamond it will be a few years. If anyone knows any diamonds or GC's in the myrtle beach area I'm open to any ideas.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not only keep an eye on your local craigslist and ebay but I would also contact Diamond and ask about pricing for a tournament used table it may be cheaper then you think.

HawksNest18

I wouldn't recommend investing more money in your current table ... You would be throwing good money after bad. You would be better off playing with your table as is (including w/ current cloth) and continue to save money until you can afford the table you want.

I'm guessing you should be able to find a good used condition Diamond for less than $4,000. Post an ad on AzB asking for a good Diamond pool table mechanic in your area and give them a call ... They might have a good lead on a good table.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I'll answer the question you asked instead of spending your money :)

I would go with the gold crown. Just be cautious with buying a used gold crown. Some of them get put together by mechanics who don't know what they are doing. I had to replace the floating rail nuts and some other hardware on mine. Can't complain as I picked it up for 800 canadian

The ask the mechanics section on here would be a good place for advice. They walked me through repairing my table myself

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cost of fixing a table is not cheap. I have found that in the long run, it makes better sense to buy a new or like new table and never have to touch it.

You can pump all the money you want into that table and it will only be worth about market value. The same is true with a GC and a Diamond. Diamond seems to hold value better than the GC.

Truer words have never been spoken.,...

There pool tables everywhere... look on "Search Tempest", meanwhile keep on keeping on, one cannot slight their game.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy a $1500 used Gold Crown-if you keep it decent, in 15 years, you can probably sell it for more. (inflation)

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a plan....ill hold on to what I got and finish the room itself. I'll be on the look out for a GC or diamond.

Halfjack87

In Training
Silver Member
Shughes13,

Where are you geographically? EDIT: Sorry, see you said Myrtle Beach.

Getting used, for me, came down to finding the right human who does the refurbishments with TLC in my local area. Look around for a mechanic.

I didn't look at Diamonds much, but my fully refurbed, delivered, and installed GC II with new Simonis was just under $3k. (Dallas, TX)

Last edited:

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would absolutely love to have a diamond just can't afford one now or in the near future. GC is more of a possibility just having a hard time finding either table in this are....honestly there is only one true pool room from the nc line to charleston and that's shore thing billiards that has about ten diamonds all but one are bar boxes:mad: I figured the pool scene down here would be a lot better. Not to knock shore thing but everytime I go it seems very dead and they can never get enough people for their Friday 9 ball tourney, and the damn place don't ever open till 7pm on the off season....this is the whole reason I'm trying to establish a great home room.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was my exact search, Diamond was my first choice and GC was my second.

I found used Diamonds that were beat to hell and they still wanted $2K+.

I found a used GC3 that I had the metal powdercoated and new Simonis and think it was the best deal.

I have way under the $2K including the powdercoating and new cloth. for a great playing old GC. I didnt have to replace the rails, and basically it is a solid table.

I think Diamonds are overpriced, and if you can get a GC for under $1K, that doesnt need a ton, its the best option. Getting it recovered is a snap, so dont let a new cloth scare you.

Sell your table you have now and you can be 1/2 way there. My table and mancave are posted if you want to look it over. Honestly I am in it about $1500.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken