Homemade billiard table

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to make my own billiard table. I don’t see any reason why I can’t make one that is high performance if I use the right materials. It’ll be a bit easier than a pool table because I don’t want pockets. I figure all I need to do is build a platform that allows for micro adjustments, which can’t be too difficult, and then cut a curtain/cabinet and install a heating system.

Anybody have an idea how much the average price of slate costs?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I am going to make my own billiard table. I don’t see any reason why I can’t make one that is high performance if I use the right materials. It’ll be a bit easier than a pool table because I don’t want pockets. I figure all I need to do is build a platform that allows for micro adjustments, which can’t be too difficult, and then cut a curtain/cabinet and install a heating system.

If wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a dilapidated table with good slate instead of ordering new slate?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
cost wise and time you lose on building. if its the building that attracts you then go for it. and being your first time you likely will mess something up you never thought about.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cost wise and time you lose on building. if its the building that attracts you then go for it. and being your first time you likely will mess something up you never thought about.
Labor is fine, I consider it free. Materials I am hoping would be cheaper than a used table sale.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
also
not much demand for billiard tables so you may get one cheap. or relatively so.
and if you ever decide to sell your homemade one it just wont sell at all. so build it for life.
though it would be cool to look at and play on a table you built yourself.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't waste your time, you are a player. Just buy a used one. The people who have built tables on YouTube are all bangers and made bad playing tables.

Here is another way to thing about it. You are in product development and know this. No matter what someone is designing, it takes MANY iterations for it to be good. How many prototype tables will you build?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
No help on the slate but a question: Can you get good quality dimensional lumber where you are at? I shut down my cue shop when my eight year old river of wood was lost.

Other options than wood for framing. Other options than slate too. I have read granite makes a fine bed and is much more readily available. Just go to a monument place. If I were going to build my own table the stone would be two to three inches thick. It does matter. Of course the weight will be massive so some big dumb friends will be an advantage when the pieces have to be moved.

When most people want to build their own table the best advice is don't. With your history of bringing projects to fruition it will be interesting if you decide to undertake this project.

Hu

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Call Olhausen or Brunswick, you can probably just buy a set

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
A good new 2" slate in the neighbourhood of 1k-2k + shipping from what I could find in a few min of searching (and yes I mostly found pool table slates):

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No help on the slate but a question: Can you get good quality dimensional lumber where you are at? I shut down my cue shop when my eight year old river of wood was lost.

Other options than wood for framing. Other options than slate too. I have read granite makes a fine bed and is much more readily available. Just go to a monument place. If I were going to build my own table the stone would be two to three inches thick. It does matter. Of course the weight will be massive so some big dumb friends will be an advantage when the pieces have to be moved.

When most people want to build their own table the best advice is don't. With your history of bringing projects to fruition it will be interesting if you decide to undertake this project.

Hu
I am not stubborn and I understand wood supply issues. I need stable stock to do it, otherwise I’d buy a used Brenton or Chevillotte etc. But how hard can building a level table be? I have some construction experience, for example I made this. It took me a long time because I learned as I went but it wasn’t bad. The whole thing cost me about $4k plus a lot of labor. I mixed 8,000 lbs of cement by hand and poured my own slab in sections. I got the steel 80” door from an airport salvage.

I do not have great wood cutting tools anymore so that could be an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-04-15-030530.jpeg
    IMG_2024-04-15-030530.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2024-04-15-030450.jpeg
    IMG_2024-04-15-030450.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 35

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't waste your time, you are a player. Just buy a used one. The people who have built tables on YouTube are all bangers and made bad playing tables.

Here is another way to thing about it. You are in product development and know this. No matter what someone is designing, it takes MANY iterations for it to be good. How many prototype tables will you build?
Good point

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or I could just move to Brasil. 5 reais to the dollar.

Attachments

• IMG_3558.jpeg
    IMG_3558.jpeg
    880 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also if would make my own i would use steel as back of rail. Carom table speed comes from mass of table. It need to be solid heavy block. Get Simonis 300 rapide it is just best. and if care properly last a long time. Edit Gabriels have steel blocks rails I believe Chevillotte have them too. Also all good Snooker tables have heating and steel block rails. Give them that nice speed.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And then there is one more difficulty to make good rails. How to get perfectly straight glued rails. That probably hardest part. Later glued rails are never so good as factory made ones. The back angle need to be perfect to get rail nose right also. Then there is of course height of rail nose.