homemade shaft turning parts

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I have a home made setup to turn shafts with an old drill. I've been just laying the shaft in a cushioned "pillow" while sanding and shaping tips. I would like to build a plate with 3 wheels like the shaftmaster lathe I've seen on this forum and on you tube. Can anyone give me any leads to what I'm looking for? Specifically the wheels. Are they neoprene? Bearings? Or maybe can I buy the whole thing from someone that already made them? Thanks Don
 
Roller skate wheels would be great for that. They have built in bearings and semi-soft rubber tires.
 
I bought just the end bracket from American Cowboy Billiards on E-bay a few years ago for around $20. Worked well for me if I used a polyethylene tube collet. I use a vise mounted to my work bench to hold my drill and just clamp the bracket to the work bench also. I don't know if they still just sell the end bracket or if they only sell the whole set. Check E-bay and do a search for "pool cue lathe".
 
I went to the Salvation Army and bought a pair of kids roller blades for $3 and used the 3 small wheels. Works perfect! I did clean the wheels really good with degreaser and alcohol first.
 
Castors, mounted on blocks of wood, would work out pretty good (I was using those prior to buying that end bracket on eBay).

You can find rubber/neoprene castors at hardware stores. I found mine at Harbor Freight.

I cut two blocks of wood at a 30 degree angle to mount the lower two castors (putting the smaller ends to each other). A couple more blocks of wood up the sides, and a block across the top with a hinge on one end and a 'hook and eye' on the other.

Basically, picture a triangle pointing down, with castors on the inside of each side. Then brackets (wood or otherwise) to hold it in place upside down.

If I still had it I'd take a pic. Hopefully I got the general idea across.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll check out ebay. I actually went down the the hobby shop today and found some good wheels for gas powered planes. Got the bottom 2 mounted on a plywood plate and I'm brainstorming how to get the upper onto a matching plate that I can adjust the tension on. I'll post a picture if it works and its not to embarrassing.lol Don
 
I checked Ebay and they still have the end plates but they are 50$ now. Looks perfect though. I'll probably get one just because I really couldn't make it that well. Thanks
 
Last edited:
There has been several threads about the cowboy lathe rollers eating up shafts even when taped up before inserting, I bet you can find a wood lathe for a little more than the $50 you might be waisting. Check craigslist in your area for a wood lathe and if it has a chuck all you need is a 14 dollar livecenter. If you lived closer to me I'd give you an old craftsman that works great I payed a neighbor 20 bucks for. Now with 5 other lathes it is sitting in a shed. Please take the time to search and read the things said here on AZ about the end plates and shaft turners sold on Ebay--Leonard
 
Back
Top