how are ya'll doing in league ?

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
It is tough to understand these APA rules just from reading sometimes. Could someone maybe try to explain me in a "short version"`?
We here just know "different"* leagues. IIRC wie have about 11-12 leagues here in germany. From the lowest up to the 1st league.
we just have team of 4 players--- 2 straight pool games, 2 -8ball sets, 2 9ball sets and 2 10ball sets. ( so 4 matches in 1st round and 2nd round vice versa). the length of the sets depend on the league. Lower league for example would play a set to 4 in8b , 10b to 5 and 9b to 6 - and straight pool in the lower leagues to 40/50 (with a fixed number of innings here).

So we don t know any version of "handicapped" leagues ( where i personally just can say: thanks god- because handicap is sth where i don t see any sense).

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm still hanging as a 7(9b)/6(8b). I'm only winning 25% of my matches in 9-ball but 75% in 8-ball.

Sounds exactly like my own apa playing
Same sl and bout the same win percentage

But I'm off apa for now, can't afford so many League nights anymore

Bca only, mostly because you get a nice fist of cash back after the sesh. Which is always helpful

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Hang in there, dub. At least you're getting to play. You'll pull out of your slump eventually.

Me....I haven't played pool in several weeks. It started with a bad sinus infection and then my heart went back into afib. I tried to shoot some 9-ball here at the house Monday morning, but after four racks I was totally out of breath and went and took a four-and-a-half hour nap. It exhausted me. Between a thickened and enlarged heart, type-2 diabetes, and afib....I don't stand much of a chance of staying healthy. It sucks.

I'm still hanging as a 7(9b)/6(8b). I'm only winning 25% of my matches in 9-ball but 75% in 8-ball.

Good luck, dub!

Maniac
Hope you're feeling better soon, that's tough...

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
💡💡 So, I'm a 9 in 9 ball & an 7 in 8 ball.. I decided not to play standard APA but instead join the Masters League. They were supposed to have a master's League back in 2013 but it didn't work out. I was initially very excited 🙌🏾🙌🏾. After I join the local Masters league, I found out that it's not a "REAL" MASTERS LEAGUE. Meaning that is not how of a players only due to participation, they opened it up to all skill levels 🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️ so basically you have threes and fours playing "MASTER'S LEAGUE" and it's the WORST!! ☹️☹️☹️ LOL
Forgive me, but I don't recall there was a limit on who could participate in Masters. Perhaps at a local level, thru Local Bylaws...but if someone wants to play, with no handicap, why should they not be allowed to?

First the better players complain cuz too many want a spot. Then they complain when they are willing to play without one? ;)

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgive me, but I don't recall there was a limit on who could participate in Masters. Perhaps at a local level, thru Local Bylaws...but if someone wants to play, with no handicap, why should they not be allowed to?

First the better players complain cuz too many want a spot. Then they complain when they are willing to play without one? ;)
I just believe that "MASTER'S" should be HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS ONLY!! IMO....TO KEEP THE QUALITY OF PLAY HIGH. BUT, I AM AWARE THAT MANY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF PLAY.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just believe that "MASTER'S" should be HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS ONLY!! IMO....TO KEEP THE QUALITY OF PLAY HIGH. BUT, I AM AWARE THAT MANY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF PLAY.
In my area we have a minor masters league that has a skill level limit of 5. If you are over a SL5 you must play in regular masters league. However there isn't anything in place to stop players from playing Masters if they want to. Myself for example played minor masters for one season and then switched to regular masters for this session, even though technically I could have player minor masters because I was SL5 when the session started. I chose to play masters because I wanted to play people who where better than me that I don't regularly get to play. Its really a moot point now because I was raised to a SL6 and wouldn't qualify for minor masters anymore.

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my area we have a minor masters league that has a skill level limit of 5. If you are over a SL5 you must play in regular masters league. However there isn't anything in place to stop players from playing Masters if they want to. Myself for example played minor masters for one season and then switched to regular masters for this session, even though technically I could have player minor masters because I was SL5 when the session started. I chose to play masters because I wanted to play people who where better than me that I don't regularly get to play. Its really a moot point now because I was raised to a SL6 and wouldn't qualify for minor masters anymore.
Props to you for improving your SKILL LEVEL..That's my point. RAISING THE QUALITY OF PLAY IS THE KEY. Not just anyone joining to say I'm playing "MASTERS"

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Props to you for improving your SKILL LEVEL..That's my point. RAISING THE QUALITY OF PLAY IS THE KEY. Not just anyone joining to say I'm playing "MASTERS"

It seems that most higher level players around here have the same attitude as you.

Here is my experience. I first joined masters in 2011 as a 4. I joined apa in 2010. I was the only low level player in our masters division and the only reason i was able to play was because i was on our league operators team. He put me on his team simply because i relayed to him how bad i wanted to improve . i never won a match but i was not discouraged at all.

I wound up changing jobs and didnt play masters for 4 years.

In 2015 i rejoined the lo's team as a 5. I won 50 % of my matches that year.

2016. I won 30 % of my matches

2017 . won 43 %.

2018 . wo. 46 %.

I have not played masters since 2018 when the league operator sold his franchise.

I told the new league operator a couple times i was interested in gettimg back in masters but nothing ever came of it so i quit asking.

Does not matter now because i have cut back on playing pool and really not interested now. Some seemed to be offended playing a low level and some were really offended when losing to a lower level. I feel quite proud of hovering around a 50 % win record the last couple years i played as a 5 and honestly believe if i had stayed in masters i would be a 7 now.

I don't know about other areas but around here no high level player is interested in teaching a lower level anything . i offered to pay an 8 one time ...cover table time and pay for his food and drinks if he would work with me . his reply.. . why ? So you can beat me ? This was after our match was over . guess he didnt like damn near losing to me as a 5.

I always help out lower level players when given the opportunity. There was an old man who had been playing apa 10 years and was only a 3. After he joined my team he was raised to a 4 in his second session with me. His 3 rd session with me he won 8 ball mvp as a 4. Then again most captaims probably never want to see thwir players go up lol.

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems that most higher level players around here have the same attitude as you.

Here is my experience. I first joined masters in 2011 as a 4. I joined apa in 2010. I was the only low level player in our masters division and the only reason i was able to play was because i was on our league operators team. He put me on his team simply because i relayed to him how bad i wanted to improve . i never won a match but i was not discouraged at all.

I wound up changing jobs and didnt play masters for 4 years.

In 2015 i rejoined the lo's team as a 5. I won 50 % of my matches that year.

2016. I won 30 % of my matches

2017 . won 43 %.

2018 . wo. 46 %.

I have not played masters since 2018 when the league operator sold his franchise.

I told the new league operator a couple times i was interested in gettimg back in masters but nothing ever came of it so i quit asking.

Does not matter now because i have cut back on playing pool and really not interested now. Some seemed to be offended playing a low level and some were really offended when losing to a lower level. I feel quite proud of hovering around a 50 % win record the last couple years i played as a 5 and honestly believe if i had stayed in masters i would be a 7 now.

I don't know about other areas but around here no high level player is interested in teaching a lower level anything . i offered to pay an 8 one time ...cover table time and pay for his food and drinks if he would work with me . his reply.. . why ? So you can beat me ? This was after our match was over . guess he didnt like damn near losing to me as a 5.

I always help out lower level players when given the opportunity. There was an old man who had been playing apa 10 years and was only a 3. After he joined my team he was raised to a 4 in his second session with me. His 3 rd session with me he won 8 ball mvp as a 4. Then again most captaims probably never want to see thwir players go up lol.
I understand. I believe your points were fair and balanced. I never mind helping the lower level players as a matter of fact I LOVE ❤️teaching pool, to the extent that I can (I don't know everything Lol) but everything isn't for everybody. In the NBA in the summertime they hold private "runs" that is not advertised is word of mouth for only select players to get "GOOD WORK AND REALLY PUSH EACH OTHER" to stay Sharp. 💡💡☝🏾

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Had a talk last night after league about why we play...

The working guys don't care about weekly league past having fun. They DO care about the state tourney weekend and want to win that, they say. They say using the weekly play for practice is ok as long as they're getting ready for state. This is the message the best league players also give out at league night, as if losing at league is fine. I took those comments as a ruse, a shark, to lessen my winning attitude. My teammates took it as a suggestion on how to treat league.

I argued that weekly play is harder and better to take seriously than is one weekend at state. A guy proves himself long-term is a real player; a guy who proves himself at state is lucky and good, but lucky if he hasn't practiced and prepped in the long-term, not just a weekend motivation fest.

I was surprised at how adamant they were about considering their weekly play not serious enough to put more effort into it.

I've played leagues for 35+ years and the weekly play, to me, is what separates the men from the boys, as winning for 16 week requires more skill than having one good weekend at state. Team or singles.

Any comments on this?

Jeff Livingston

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Had a talk last night after league about why we play...

The working guys don't care about weekly league past having fun. They DO care about the state tourney weekend and want to win that, they say. They say using the weekly play for practice is ok as long as they're getting ready for state. This is the message the best league players also give out at league night, as if losing at league is fine. I took those comments as a ruse, a shark, to lessen my winning attitude. My teammates took it as a suggestion on how to treat league.

I argued that weekly play is harder and better to take seriously than is one weekend at state. A guy proves himself long-term is a real player; a guy who proves himself at state is lucky and good, but lucky if he hasn't practiced and prepped in the long-term, not just a weekend motivation fest.

I was surprised at how adamant they were about considering their weekly play not serious enough to put more effort into it.

I've played leagues for 35+ years and the weekly play, to me, is what separates the men from the boys, as winning for 16 week requires more skill than having one good weekend at state. Team or singles.

Any comments on this?

Jeff Livingston
One comment: You're right....they are wrong.

Maniac

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
One comment: You're right....they are wrong.

Maniac

Thanks for that comment, I thought I might just be gettin' old and out of touch.

One said to the other as we left the bar, "I agree 100% with you."

We've been a team for about 10 years now and it seems since last year's crap, this attitude has infiltrated the whole league, not just our team.

Maybe it's a psychological thing due to the weird changes from the lockdowns, etc. I dunno.

I often wanted the state tourney to be, at least partially, a qualifier type tournament, where weekly league wins would give a player (and teams) a better spot in the lineup. If that was the case, then weekly stats would become more important to the state tourney and the problem would fix itself.

Jeff Livingston

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Any comments on this?
I completely agree with you...

My team and I have blast on league night. It's not uncommon to nearly lose my voice from all the laughter. Most of them play more than once a week. Myself and the top shot on the team only play the 1 night. I can't speak for the rest of the group, but I can tell you that for me and #1, it's all guns a blazing. Not only do I want to crush my opponents, but I'd be ok with a sutble throat stomp after I drop the 8 as well....lol

Ok that's a bit over the top. However the point is, I try as hard as I can league night.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
💡💡 So, I'm a 9 in 9 ball & an 7 in 8 ball.. I decided not to play standard APA but instead join the Masters League. They were supposed to have a master's League back in 2013 but it didn't work out. I was initially very excited 🙌🏾🙌🏾. After I join the local Masters league, I found out that it's not a "REAL" MASTERS LEAGUE. Meaning that is not how of a players only due to participation, they opened it up to all skill levels 🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️ so basically you have threes and fours playing "MASTER'S LEAGUE" and it's the WORST!! ☹️☹️☹️ LOL

I've never played APA. Doesn't standard APA have handicaps and their Master's league have no handicaps? If so, why not just have no mercy and hand the threes and fours their heads and let them pound sand? Or, did they reintroduce handicaps and sandbagging in which case it's just regular APA all over again and the master's league is just a joke?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Who cares if someone can pay to say that they play in the master's divison. Dead money pays for the top team's trip. I say bring it on...lol

All 'Master's' means is that there is no handicaping. The rest is narcissistic crap. What saddens me is this logic that someone who is willing to donate to be exposed to a high level of play shouldn't be allowed to because their handicap (which isn't used anyway) is too low. Based on my experience and your logic, a good portion of 7s playing 8b shouldn't be allowed to be in Master's regardless...lol. The handicapping means nothing.

Speaking for myself... I enjoy playing these low end dead money teams. They truly appreciate the lap around the deep end of the pool. You should see how a grown man's eyes can light up if you take a moment afterward to impart of wisdom. It's like a kid in candy store. These teams walk in the door without a hope in hell, and are literal information sponges. Embrace their eagerness to learn.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel the same way jeff. The fact is there are a lot of players that seem to try harder at playoffs or higher than they do a regular league night.

As some of you long time poster may know...i used to play on 4 teams a week. Over the last few years i cut it to just one team. 4 was just too much as i got older. 67 now.

Lately i had the urge to play at least one more night a week. Friday night is the best night for me because i dont work on saturdays and can sleep in late.

So i contacted one if the league reps and told her i was looking to play in house on nights. She gave me a guys number that i didnt know and he agreed to add me to his team since he was shorthanded.

So he throws me in 9 ball and they threw a 3. Well it was an embarrassing debut to a new team. I lost 25 -26 for a 14-6 win for him. I told the captain i play a lot better than that and he said i must or i would not be a 6.

I told him i play better 8 ball even though i am a 5. So later he throws me in 8 and they threw a 4. I won 4-0 in 4 innings. The guy shot good for a 4 but couldnt run out.

So my captain is a 5 and he plays a 6 in 9 ball. My captain won 38-21 for a 17-3 score. He couldnt do anything wrong. Well later the other team selects my captain to replay 9 ball vs the 4 i beat in 8. This 4 steam rolled my captain and beat him 17-3. The same score my captain beat that 6 by.

I told him that his match vs that 4 looked like my match vs that 3. He said thats apa 9 ball for you when playing low levels. He said they always seem to have more luck than any one should have.

He said i was right about my 8 ball game and maybe my handicaps in 8 and 9 should be swapped and started laughing. I think i am gonna like this new venue and new team. Way less pressure than being captain of my sunday team.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Who cares if someone can pay to say that they play in the master's divison. Dead money pays for the top team's trip. I say bring it on...lol

All 'Master's' means is that there is no handicaping. The rest is narcissistic crap. What saddens me is this logic that someone who is willing to donate to be exposed to a high level of play shouldn't be allowed to because their handicap (which isn't used anyway) is too low. Based on my experience and your logic, a good portion of 7s playing 8b shouldn't be allowed to be in Master's regardless...lol. The handicapping means nothing.

Speaking for myself... I enjoy playing these low end dead money teams. They truly appreciate the lap around the deep end of the pool. You should see how a grown man's eyes can light up if you take a moment afterward to impart of wisdom. It's like a kid in candy store. These teams walk in the door without a hope in hell, and are literal information sponges. Embrace their eagerness to learn.
This.

I still find it interesting that a high level player would want to discourage lower level players who want to match up even, and forego the handicap. I always thought the higher level players wanted that kind of player...ones that aren't afraid to take their lumps in order to learn from the better players.