how are ya'll doing in league ?

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started a new schedule 7 on 7 off and my pool game now sucks. No way I'm going to the hall after working 12 hour shift to hit balls. I make it home, eat, shower, on the PC for maybe 30 minutes and then to bed. When I'm on nights there are no halls open in my area at 06:30.

My game is extremely inconsistent due to lack of any consistent table time. That, and I'm getting old so the eye and reflexes are not what they used to be. :smile:

My team came in 3rd this year in a pretty competitive league, so still not too bad.

Magyar19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My TAP team that I captain just blew a 2-0 lead in the finals. Retrospectively, I think I made a bad decision strategy-wise on who we put up when we were up 2-0 and its really got me down. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 Ball night for the league yesterday and won my first match. It was on the tightest table at the cafe we play in and I made some really great shots. I also had a makeup 10 ball match which I should have won but by that time I was already exhausted from being there almost 5 hours.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Killed it last night, first victory in league as a 6 (Only the second one). Beat a 4 pretty handily, 5-1. Only missed 9 shots the whole match and a couple of those were defensive shots. Had another 8 ball break and another rack n run. Feeling confident going into titleholders next weekend...team went 5-0 against one of the strongest in the league last night...hope we are hitting our stride!!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not posted on here lately and see no one else has in a few weeks either.

I have cut back some and almost finished remodeling a friends bathroom .

I quit Friday night scotch doubles ...cut back on Monday and Tuesday nights and just concentrating on the teams I captain on Thursday and Sunday nights....along with masters once a month.

I have not been to either Monday night apa double jeapordy or Tuesday night tap I. The past 3 weeks.

I realm think cutting back has helped me. I have been terrorizing my opponents in 9 ball the last 3 weeks . I was dropped back to a 5 last month and I really think I am on track to be raised to a 6 again.

It all started last month at 9 ball ltc's .

Won 38-35 vs a 9

Won 38-25 vs a 6.

Won 38-22 vs a 6. This guy got so upset that he slammed his cue down and started complaining about my handicap. Btw ...he is a team mate on my tap league. I have nit been to tap since I beat him and curious how he is gonna act.

Won 38-30 vs a 6

Won 38-21 vs a 4. This match was looking like it was gonna be a serious beat down but I scratched on the 3rd break and he ran the table getting 10 points that rack. Half of the points he got total the whole match.

Not quite as good in 8 ball but not bad.

Won 4-3 in a 4-4 race

Lost 4-2 in a 4-4 race.

Won 4-1 in a 4-4 race

Won 5-1 in a 5-2 race.

C'mon guys...lemme know how yall doing.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I scanned over the last few pages in this thread and came to the conclusion that I am really glad I am not participating in any of your leagues.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I scanned over the last few pages in this thread and came to the conclusion that I am really glad I am not participating in any of your leagues.

I am really not sure what you mean by that but i surmise you are referring to the fact that people are describing some mighty fine wins.

This thread has almost reached 3,000 posts and I do believe yours is the first negative post.

Yea sure its a sounding board for bragging about your wins but quite a few including yours truly has posted countless times lamenting their losses. And some were embarrassing losses. People ...including myself have also posted about being in slumps

This thread has posters from just about every amateurs league out there and so far every one has always cheered every one on .

If you dont mind would you explain what was posted in the last 2 pages that makes you glad you dont play in any of our leagues ? Just curious....not looking to be argumentative at all because this thread has been the most civil thread on this forum when it comes to the topic of leagues and I really want to keep it that way.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't posted a lot, mostly because so busy.

We had titleholders for 9 ball last week. Came up short, but for the first time being there we did great against some great teams. We finished in 3rd place. One tactical error at the end but I couldnt be more proud of my team.

Our best player took on Amos Bush and won, if you don't know, Amos is a 7 and has won TAP national singles twice, we put his team out of the tournament. Every player cane up huge to get us to 3rd place.

8 ball titleholders starts Friday evening, ironic thing is that we have already qualified for next year's titleholders for 8 ball, and next week if we come up big will have qualified for 9 ball as well. Team is killing it.

Truly looking forward to this weekend, will try to post results when I get a chance.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really not sure what you mean by that but i surmise you are referring to the fact that people are describing some mighty fine wins.

This thread has almost reached 3,000 posts and I do believe yours is the first negative post.

Yea sure its a sounding board for bragging about your wins but quite a few including yours truly has posted countless times lamenting their losses. And some were embarrassing losses. People ...including myself have also posted about being in slumps

This thread has posters from just about every amateurs league out there and so far every one has always cheered every one on .

If you dont mind would you explain what was posted in the last 2 pages that makes you glad you dont play in any of our leagues ? Just curious....not looking to be argumentative at all because this thread has been the most civil thread on this forum when it comes to the topic of leagues and I really want to keep it that way.
I never meant anything personal to anyone, I don't even think anyone was 'bragging' all that much - at least not to the point where I find that irritating. So no, that is not what I meant at all.

I was referring to the competition format of USA leagues, with the handicap system that just seems ridiculous to me. Also never knowing what kind of table you'll be playing on which means you have a good chance it will be crap... that stuff lead me to the conclusion that I'm happy in our competition in Holland, where you can participate in leagues with people of about the same skill level. And if your level rises, your team can earn the right to play in higher division leagues. And we always play on 9-footers. I also like that we not only play 8 an 9 but also 10ball, straight pool and scotch doubles 10ball.

Last edited:

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that stuff lead me to the conclusion that I'm happy in our competition in Holland, where you can participate in leagues with people of about the same skill level. And if your level rises, your team can earn the right to play in higher division leagues. And we always play on 9-footers. I also like that we not only play 8 an 9 but also 10ball, straight pool and scotch doubles 10ball.

I envy you for the scotch doubles, but elseise your league system seems pretty much the same like here in Germany. I do agree, what is the point in winning a league with a handicap? I prefer to get beaten up by a really good player and learn from him, than "winning" 4-7 (because he needed a race to eight). Most people I know see this a motivation to train harder and keep improving ...
The people of the same speed is a bit upset here in the south, as many old great players now lurk in the lower skill leagues as they had to give room for the young guns beating them up in the higher leagues ... so sometimes you might end up playing someone who played 2nd league five or ten years ago as well as total beginners ...

Last year my team missed the promotion to the next higher level by one set, so we'll attack again the coming season

Keep going everyone!

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After being 2 for my last 21 (!!!!), I have finally broken through and am playing like a strong SL6. 17 balls in a row vs an SL7 on Sunday, and a 15-5 vs a SL6 last night. Glad I didn't quit.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The people of the same speed is a bit upset here in the south, as many old great players now lurk in the lower skill leagues as they had to give room for the young guns beating them up in the higher leagues ... so sometimes you might end up playing someone who played 2nd league five or ten years ago as well as total beginners ...
That happens in our leagues as well, and if they are that much better then you'll probably lose. See it as a learning moment. It does not happen often enough for it to be a real problem (and it goes the other way around too) -- most of the time, the skill levels are about equal.

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That happens in our leagues as well, and if they are that much better then you'll probably lose. See it as a learning moment. It does not happen often enough for it to be a real problem (and it goes the other way around too) -- most of the time, the skill levels are about equal.
thats what I meant and one of the best things on the league play, you allways have a challenge

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never meant anything personal to anyone, I don't even think anyone was 'bragging' all that much - at least not to the point where I find that irritating. So no, that is not what I meant at all.

I was referring to the competition format of USA leagues, with the handicap system that just seems ridiculous to me. Also never knowing what kind of table you'll be playing on which means you have a good chance it will be crap... that stuff lead me to the conclusion that I'm happy in our competition in Holland, where you can participate in leagues with people of about the same skill level. And if your level rises, your team can earn the right to play in higher division leagues. And we always play on 9-footers. I also like that we not only play 8 an 9 but also 10ball, straight pool and scotch doubles 10ball.

I misunderstood your post and thanks for clarifying.

I see your point and agree to an extent but my philosophy is no league is perfect so I make it a point to just enjoy pool within the parameters available to me.

Our apa league plays on 9 footers occasionally and I guess I am in the minority as I enjoy playing on all types of tables because I think in the long run it makes you a better all around player.

As captain of most of my teams I always try to match up my players with opponents of equal handicap bug its not always possible.

I also realize that beating a player 4-7 in a 4-8 race is nothing to brag about but at the same time....if both handicaps are truly correct it does mean you played better that day at your skill level than your opponent did at his.

Its an entirely different feeling when you beat a superior player and not need the handicap. I do it occasionally and its a great feeling but at the same time I realize just because I win a match 3-0 in a 3-7 race does not mean I am better than him ....but I was on that particular day .:D

That actually happened 2 weeks ago in tap league. 3-7 race in 9 ball and I won 3-0. Cant explain it...just could do no wrong that day.

Almost all my matches are on well kept valleys and sometimes nice 7' diamonds.

This past Saturday we had 2 matches at a hole in the wall bar I had never played at before. Talk about dead rails ! I lagged at my usual speed and the cue ball did not even make it halfway back down the table. I still won both my matches 5-0 in 2 5-3 races facing opponents that pls on those crappy tables every week. All too often players want fo blame the equipment for their losses but I feel the better player should win no matter the condition of the equipment ...just as i did last weekend. I even had a couple funny rolls during my match...instead of getting frustrated as I have read that many on here do under such situations I just laughed it off and kept my head in the game. Frustration leads to bad decisions which leads to losses. Why beat yourself up when you and your opponent are playing under the same conditions?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Slump is OVER!! Won last 4:
15-5 vs a 6
12-8 vs a 6 finished with 18-7 run to win by one ball
13-7 vs a 5
13-7 vs a 7

About time!!! Feels great, but I am taking a session off just to recharge.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's see...

This past weekend, my APA 9-ball team came in 33rd at the APA World Championships. I wasn't eligible to play, but I went to Vegas to cheer them on. The craps tables paid me off, which was really nice of them.

The team that illuminated my team came in 2nd, and was streamed live.

Interesting thing... I was accused of cheating. LOL!!! Before we played the team that eliminated us, we went over to scout their match. When it was over, the losing team offered to take a photo of the scoresheet. Instead of him doing that and then having to get our phone number to text it to us, I just walked over and took a photo.

Do you consider that cheating? Is there a rule against it? Is it unsportsmanlike? When our team was the last team still playing a few rounds earlier, a dozen teams (and more than likely, the team that would eventually play us) were scouting their collective brains out on my team. Is that any different?

Anyhoos, I played 9-ball last night in that other league I play. I was getting spotted for once, 9-7. I cruised (7-4), but admittedly, I played under par, scratched on the break four times. Had my opponent not had back issues, I would have gotten crushed. Maybe.

On to the next.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Struggling since I got my 6 in 8 ball...on a 1-3 streak...making hill-hill every time. The extra game is messing with me, but I will get there. I take it too seriously...this is something I am working on.

Doing better in 9 ball, but not by a lot. Happy to get to play every week and contribute to a great team. We just finished the last session, our team came in 1st in 8 ball and in 9 ball, so we are already qualified for titleholders next summer. Which is nice because I can finally do some experimenting and focus on my defensive game.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got in from a long day of pool..

Had masters starting at 2:00. We also had a make up from last month when the opposing team could not make it.

First match was against another 5. I am up 5-2 and then start losin focus. I lose 7-6.

Second match was against another 5. A former team mate who quit my team and started his own. We have faced each other 5 times since then and i win 4 . Well today was just like my first match...up 5-2 and lose 7-6.

He wanted to play me again as we play twice in a row but one of his guys who happens to be o HK one of my teams pipes up and says he wants me. We have never faced each other and we both claim to be the bed on that team. Well lemme tell you...aint no way I am gonna lose to him so I bear down and win 7-0. That hopefully lays to rest who is the best on our team lol. Did not play my second make up as I had to leave to go to another venue for 9 ball playoffs. Faced a 4 and found out I am raised back up to a 6...for the 6th time in a year. I won 14-6 and our team won playoffs. Did not have 8 ball playoffs as we came in first place and go straight to tri cups.

Now for some interesting happenings concerning venues and leagues in our area.

At masters I found out that this venue is opening tables and charging a flat 15.00 per player per session green fee. Sounds good to me. As it means no more digging for quarters every other rack.

Now the next 2 tidbits are intertwined.

This past session a new venue opened up and the owner moved his 2 teams from another venue to his place. Our little in house league was changed to a travel league to a travel league between his place and ours with the addition of his 2 teams. Half of the in house teams did not like that change cause we were happy with the way things were but I understood the lo's change to add these teams to our division and it really was not a hardship as these 2 venues are only 5 minutes a part.

Now here is where I am starting to have a problem . This new owner convinced half of our original in house teams to move to his venue. Well that's no problem in itself but he now wants his teams and the added teams he took from our venue to play strictly in house at his place. It leaves my team and another in a predicament as we are the only 2 teams left. This situation really irks me off and I told my lo as much tonight and I tild him it oughta stay travel like it was originally set up to accommodate this new owners 2 teams. Have not heard back from the lo concerning this issue yet. I also told my lo that my team is staying put whether its in house or travel.

Now for the kicker. I was told a few weeks ago that our venue is getting a new owner. I had a few mixed feelings but decided to stay. Well tonight I found out that the new owner said if any team that plays out of our place qualifies for Vegas he will match the travel funds we receive from apa for nationals. Never heard of such a thing and glad I decided to stay. Betcha the teams that left for that new venue are wishing they had not moved. I have no idea what kind of incentive he gave those teams to move but I have a helluva incentive to stay now.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My team did pretty good this session. Very proud of all of them. I don’t think I have ever got high point award before.

Attachments

• D9E4F3B9-E31D-474C-9D6F-E7EA13A1B118.jpg
    D9E4F3B9-E31D-474C-9D6F-E7EA13A1B118.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 158