how are ya'll doing in league ?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m playing my first year in a BCA masters nine ball league. As a low 500s banger playing against a bunch of guys in the 650-700+ range, my goal is simply to survive and not make a fool of myself. If I can keep it even close to .500 W/L, I’ll be thrilled. After five matches, I‘m 23/22, so I’m hanging in there and reasonably pleased so far.

Reminds me of league play back in the day. No handicaps or weird allowances. If you want to win, just play better…

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I've been shooting great the last few weeks.....and still getting my ass handed to me. I played a SL6 (I'm a SL5 in 8-ball and a SL7 in 9-ball) in 8-ball a couple weeks back and got "racklessed" 5-0. I got one shot at an 8-ball all night and missed running it all the way down the long rail w/cue ball at an angle. Guy was running out from everywhere. Shot better than any SL6 I've ever seen, and I've been playing APA for 15 years now.

Then last week in 8-ball I get beat 4-2. The guy literally ran 8 balls-and-out (not break-and-runs) three games in a row. I won the next two games. When I was in a great position to win my third game, the guy comes to the table, proceeds to run six balls-and-out, including two cross-side banks and a kick on his last ball before the 8 that went in and landed him almost perfect on the 8. Shot better than any SL5 that I've ever seen..............................you know the rest.

Did I mention that I was playing good?

So, last night in 9-ball I get put up against another SL7 that I've never beaten in 8 or 9-ball. I wasn't at the top of my game, missed about four balls and two kick shots that I would normally make, but I beat him 55 balls to 40.

Go figure.

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fellas i have so muxh on my mind i disnt know where to start or if az even has enough bandwith for me to post what i want to say. So thats my warning that this may be long. I guess i will start with the results of my matches.

Friday night i faced a 5 in 9 ball amd won 46 -34 in a 46-38 race. While i waited on my second match i played a make up on an unused table and faced a 7. In a 5-3 race. I won 3-3 and afterwards he called me a sandbagger. He completely disregarded the fsxt that i have faced him at least a dozen times and this is my first win. I then faced the same 5 i played in 9 ball and lost 8 ball 4-3 in a 4-4 race.

Sunday night i faced a 5 in 9 ball and won 46-28. In a 46-38 race. I lost 8 ball to the same guy 4-3 in a 4-4 race.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought that last post was long enough so here is what i have faced this past week that is really getting me to the point that the thought of quitting league has popped up a time or 2 the last few days. Or at least quitting being captain.

So i have a player who...i will say it as politely as i can ...is irritating as hell. This comimg from a guy who fancies himself as one of the easiest going captains in town. He comes up and tells me he is quitting my friday team. Ok by me since i have a new guy starting and will still have the bare minimum of 5 players. Well the new guy changed his mind and my guy changed his mind also.. I really wanted him gone but i needed him so i said ok you can stay. Sigh .

So then he says he is quitting my sunday team which he also plays on. Ok.. I still have 5 players and 3 that are supposed to join next session which is in a couple of weeks. Well his new sunday team captain kicks him off that team because of his mouth and he then comes up and says he is rejoining my sunday team. I say...politely of course...hell no i dont have room for you. He says you only have 5 and i say yea and i have 3 more joining.

Well the next day he texts me saying he talked to the lo and she said he could come back. I tell him that i already told him he was not comimg back and i text the lo the lowdown on what was going on. She said she didnt know and it was my choice. So he shows up sunday amd asks again and i tell him no again and he offers to buy me a drink. I politely declined.

Oh yea...my lo knew i was shorthanded on Fridays and told me she had a new player for me. I told her great. So this woman shows up who looks to be in her early 30's and i ask her if she had ever played pool before. She says yea but has never played league. So later i throw her in 8 ball and i go play my make up against that 7 i mentiomed earlier. When i come back i look at the score sheet and see that she lost 2 -0 vs another 3 by making an early 8 and scratchimg on the 8. Well i still dont have an idea how she plays but the scoresheet didnt look good.

So later i throw her in o

9 ball and i play my 8 ball match. I am watchimg her while i am playing and thought...damn...wtf ? She hits everything at warp speed and does not even aim for a pocket...just hits the object ball head on at warp speed. Well one time she gets bih and has the 8 close to the side pocket and the 9 close to the same side corner pocket. She places the cue ball a few inches from the 8 and lines up for a combo on the 9 in the corner. Of course i call time out and explain to her there is no way she is going to make that combo and if she did she would only get 2 points and she had an easy 3 point layout.

I told her to hit the 8 in the side soft and then will be good on the 9 in the corner with another soft shot. Well she did great on the 8 and then followed the 9 in with the cue ball and i guess i must have had a wtf? ? Look on my face and when she looked up at me she started crying. I kmow i really came up with a wtf? Look after that. Well my scorekeeper gets up and puts his arms on her shoulder consoling her. Wtf ?

Later on i had a chance to talk to her and i even had her laughing . she agreed to try and get there early next week so i could work with her on her game. She obviously loves the game but has no idea what the hell she is doing at the table. I know i have my work cut out for me but i relish the challenge...if she don't drive me bonkers first.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well i know that post was more than long enough but i have one last thing to get off my chest lol.

Our area is holding an aloha tournament this week. For those that are not familiar with it it is a tournament for a chance to to play in a tournamemt in hawaii...much like the tournament they hold for vegas but its only 8 ball teams as far as i know.

Unlike vegas qualifiers where you have to go through playoffs and tri cups in order for a shot at vegas all we have to do is pay an extra dollar a match that goes towards the aloha trip..

So last year i asked my team if they wanted to sign up for the aloha tournament. They asked how much ? I replied a dollar extra a night. Half wanted to...the other half didnt want to pay and extra dollar a week. So after mulling it over for a few days i signed my team up and i paid the 5.00 a week myself.

So fast forward to today when i get a text from the lo's assistant asking if we intend to still play in it as she is working up the brackets today. I say of course. So i text the team telling them. Of course they are raring to go...even the ones who did not originally want to pay lol. Well a few hours later i get another text from the assistant saying she is sorry to inform me that ahe made a mistake and didn't realize until now that we failed....according to the rules to maintain 4 original members of the team that registered.

Well that really didnt surprise me but i still felt disapointed. Then the guy who quit my team texts me saying he was still eligible to play in it with us. ...one of those who did not want to pay a dollar a weel no less. I managed to stay pretty polite while voicing my displeasure with him letting him know that due to him and his on again off again girlfriend quitting the team screwed us out of playing in it.. No surprise he never text back.

At least i still get to play in it with the tram i am not captain of. Wish me luck.
Never again will i fork out for ungrateful cheap azz pool players.

So thats how my week has been.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well i know that post was more than long enough but i have one last thing to get off my chest lol.

Our area is holding an aloha tournament this week. For those that are not familiar with it it is a tournament for a chance to to play in a tournamemt in hawaii...much like the tournament they hold for vegas but its only 8 ball teams as far as i know.

Unlike vegas qualifiers where you have to go through playoffs and tri cups in order for a shot at vegas all we have to do is pay an extra dollar a match that goes towards the aloha trip..

So last year i asked my team if they wanted to sign up for the aloha tournament. They asked how much ? I replied a dollar extra a night. Half wanted to...the other half didnt want to pay and extra dollar a week. So after mulling it over for a few days i signed my team up and i paid the 5.00 a week myself.

So fast forward to today when i get a text from the lo's assistant asking if we intend to still play in it as she is working up the brackets today. I say of course. So i text the team telling them. Of course they are raring to go...even the ones who did not originally want to pay lol. Well a few hours later i get another text from the assistant saying she is sorry to inform me that ahe made a mistake and didn't realize until now that we failed....according to the rules to maintain 4 original members of the team that registered.

Well that really didnt surprise me but i still felt disapointed. Then the guy who quit my team texts me saying he was still eligible to play in it with us. ...one of those who did not want to pay a dollar a weel no less. I managed to stay pretty polite while voicing my displeasure with him letting him know that due to him and his on again off again girlfriend quitting the team screwed us out of playing in it.. No surprise he never text back.

At least i still get to play in it with the tram i am not captain of. Wish me luck.
Never again will i fork out for ungrateful cheap azz pool players.

So thats how my week has been.

LOL, yep, been there done that on every level.

I've had good luck with getting along with most people on my team and I definitely feel lucky there. But we've had those players that show up late, don't show up, quit the team, etc. I just make sure we have enough players and those guys don't play - regardless of who our opponent is. Oddly, I'm in the opposite position now. We've got this new guy, older (60-65) and can't shoot to save his life but my god - he shows up at 6:45 and will stay until whenever to play. I felt bad because he didn't play a few weeks in a row so we've had him shoot a few times and we'll get him up to speed.

And yeah, I really don't want to be a captain anymore. I've probably lost $100-$200 over the last few years from missed dues, "hey, can you buy me a beer", etc. but when you need the players I guess you have to pay the price :|

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well my session is practically over. I coach high school softball and we are going full speed with games on every league night except during spring break. Pretty good session for me. 6 wins- 1 loss with 4 break and runs and 2 8 on the breaks. I went 14-2 last session, so not too bad over the last 2 sessions as a SL 5 in 8ball.

Just stinks being the captain and not being able to be there for the next several weeks...We won the big dawg title last session, but are fighting it out for 2nd place right now. The first place team has been in the zone and putting up 12 or 13 points every week it seems. We tied them last Monday, so at least they know they can't run roughshod over every team.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well my session is practically over. I coach high school softball and we are going full speed with games on every league night except during spring break. Pretty good session for me. 6 wins- 1 loss with 4 break and runs and 2 8 on the breaks. I went 14-2 last session, so not too bad over the last 2 sessions as a SL 5 in 8ball.

Just stinks being the captain and not being able to be there for the next several weeks...We won the big dawg title last session, but are fighting it out for 2nd place right now. The first place team has been in the zone and putting up 12 or 13 points every week it seems. We tied them last Monday, so at least they know they can't run roughshod over every team.

Nice shooting, 14-2 is a pretty good session 👍

EDIT: And 6-1 was a good start :)

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I thought that last post was long enough so here is what i have faced this past week that is really getting me to the point that the thought of quitting league has popped up a time or 2 the last few days. Or at least quitting being captain.

So i have a player who...i will say it as politely as i can ...is irritating as hell. This comimg from a guy who fancies himself as one of the easiest going captains in town. He comes up and tells me he is quitting my friday team. Ok by me since i have a new guy starting and will still have the bare minimum of 5 players. Well the new guy changed his mind and my guy changed his mind also.. I really wanted him gone but i needed him so i said ok you can stay. Sigh .

So then he says he is quitting my sunday team which he also plays on. Ok.. I still have 5 players and 3 that are supposed to join next session which is in a couple of weeks. Well his new sunday team captain kicks him off that team because of his mouth and he then comes up and says he is rejoining my sunday team. I say...politely of course...hell no i dont have room for you. He says you only have 5 and i say yea and i have 3 more joining.

Well the next day he texts me saying he talked to the lo and she said he could come back. I tell him that i already told him he was not comimg back and i text the lo the lowdown on what was going on. She said she didnt know and it was my choice. So he shows up sunday amd asks again and i tell him no again and he offers to buy me a drink. I politely declined.

Oh yea...my lo knew i was shorthanded on Fridays and told me she had a new player for me. I told her great. So this woman shows up who looks to be in her early 30's and i ask her if she had ever played pool before. She says yea but has never played league. So later i throw her in 8 ball and i go play my make up against that 7 i mentiomed earlier. When i come back i look at the score sheet and see that she lost 2 -0 vs another 3 by making an early 8 and scratchimg on the 8. Well i still dont have an idea how she plays but the scoresheet didnt look good.

So later i throw her in o

9 ball and i play my 8 ball match. I am watchimg her while i am playing and thought...damn...wtf ? She hits everything at warp speed and does not even aim for a pocket...just hits the object ball head on at warp speed. Well one time she gets bih and has the 8 close to the side pocket and the 9 close to the same side corner pocket. She places the cue ball a few inches from the 8 and lines up for a combo on the 9 in the corner. Of course i call time out and explain to her there is no way she is going to make that combo and if she did she would only get 2 points and she had an easy 3 point layout.

I told her to hit the 8 in the side soft and then will be good on the 9 in the corner with another soft shot. Well she did great on the 8 and then followed the 9 in with the cue ball and i guess i must have had a wtf? ? Look on my face and when she looked up at me she started crying. I kmow i really came up with a wtf? Look after that. Well my scorekeeper gets up and puts his arms on her shoulder consoling her. Wtf ?

Later on i had a chance to talk to her and i even had her laughing . she agreed to try and get there early next week so i could work with her on her game. She obviously loves the game but has no idea what the hell she is doing at the table. I know i have my work cut out for me but i relish the challenge...if she don't drive me bonkers first.

Hopefully she takes advantage of your help. I feel like I have really improved this past year. A couple of guys with a lot more experience have really helped pointing out my flaws and showing me new things. Still have a ways to go, but compared to a year ago I'm winning more games and understanding why.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully she takes advantage of your help. I feel like I have really improved this past year. A couple of guys with a lot more experience have really helped pointing out my flaws and showing me new things. Still have a ways to go, but compared to a year ago I'm winning more games and understanding why.

That bolded part is the MOST important part of your statement.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well guys i am really at a loss to understand what happened last night. Also. Had a real sleepless night playing things over and over in my head. I went to bed at 12:30 this mornimg and got up at 4:30. I have to leave for work at 6:00 ....get home at 4:00....leave for the pool hall at 5:30 .

So what happened last night you wonder ? I honestly don't know.

Last night was the start of our aloha 8 ball tournament. As usual the captain threw me against their best player....a 7 and i am a 5. The race is him 5 and me 3.

So here is what transpired. He won the flip and broke dry. I run down to my last ball and get out of position slightly. The ball is makeable but i am too close to one of his balls to get the cue ball on the 8. I try a jacked up draw shot and miss. He comes to the table amd immediately plays a safe. I kick and make my ball amd am good on the 8. I hit the 8 too thick and miss the pocket by 2 inches. What ???? He runs the table.

2 nd rack be breaks dry again. I run the my 7 balls and again good on the 8. I again miss an easy 8. Wth ??? He runs the table.

3rd rack he breaks and runs 5 balls and misses. I run 4 balls and play a safe. He fouls and i run my 3 balls and again miss an easy 8. Wtf ??? He runs out. So right at this point i should have had a 3 -0 win.

4 th rack he breaks and runs sevsral balls. Not sure how many because my mind is starting to run wild over the realization that i am handing him the match on a silver platter. When he misses I make 4 balls and play safe. I get bih agajn . dont like the layout and play another safe. I get bih and run 2 balls and miss my last ball....another easy shot. He runs out.

5th rack. He breaks and runs 7 balls and has no where to put the 8 due to my balls. He attempts a 3 rail break and the 8 stops 4 inches short of the pocket. It was one hell of a shot. I run 5 balls and am left with 2 balls and rhe 8 all laying by the same corner pocket. Easy layout . 2 ball in...come off the rail and put the 7 in the same pocket ...come off the rail and put the 8 in. Or so i thought. I rattled the pocket on the 2 and leave him good on the 8.

So i am sitting here dumbfounded as i type this on how...why i shot so great every rack...until i get on the 8...or the last couple balls as in the case of the 5th rack and blew easy shots.

After the match as we were fist bumping he told me he was amazed and lucky that i missed those 8's. He said he was worried the whole match due to how great i was shooting and couldnt believe how i failed to finish out several racks.

Ita just unbelievable....unexplainable.....i just don't know what to make of it. Sure i have missed easy shots every now and then but have never played darn near flawless rhe whole rack only to miss easy shots at the 8. 3 in a row to be exact.

Just plain embarrasing.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Well guys i am really at a loss to understand what happened last night. Also. Had a real sleepless night playing things over and over in my head. I went to bed at 12:30 this mornimg and got up at 4:30. I have to leave for work at 6:00 ....get home at 4:00....leave for the pool hall at 5:30 .

Last night was the start of our aloha 8 ball tournament. As usual the captain threw me against their best player....a 7 and i am a 5. The race is him 5 and me 3.

So here is what transpired. He won the flip and broke dry. I run down to my last ball and get out of position slightly. The ball is makeable but i am too close to one of his balls to get the cue ball on the 8. I try a jacked up draw shot and miss. He comes to the table amd immediately plays a safe. I kick and make my ball amd am good on the 8. I hit the 8 too thick and miss the pocket by 2 inches. What ???? He runs the table.

2 nd rack be breaks dry again. I run the my 7 balls and again good on the 8. I again miss an easy 8. Wth ??? He runs the table.

3rd rack he breaks and runs 5 balls and misses. I run 4 balls and play a safe. He fouls and i run my 3 balls and again miss an easy 8. Wtf ??? He runs out. So right at this point i should have had a 3 -0 win.

4 th rack he breaks and runs sevsral balls. Not sure how many because my mind is starting to run wild over the realization that i am handing him the match on a silver platter. When he misses I make 4 balls and play safe. I get bih agajn . dont like the layout and play another safe. I get bih and run 2 balls and miss my last ball....another easy shot. He runs out.

5th rack. He breaks and runs 7 balls and has no where to put the 8 due to my balls. He attempts a 3 rail break and the 8 stops 4 inches short of the pocket. It was one hell of a shot. I run 5 balls and am left with 2 balls and rhe 8 all laying by the same corner pocket. Easy layout . 2 ball in...come off the rail and put the 7 in the same pocket ...come off the rail and put the 8 in. Or so i thought. I rattled the pocket on the 2 and leave him good on the 8.

So i am sitting here dumbfounded as i type this on how...why i shot so great every rack...until i get on the 8...or the last couple balls as in the case of the 5th rack and blew easy shots.

After the match as we were fist bumping he told me he was amazed and lucky that i missed those 8's. He said he was worried the whole match due to how great i was shooting and couldnt believe how i failed to finish out several racks.

Ita just unbelievable....unexplainable.....i just don't know what to make of it. Sure i have missed easy shots every now and then but have never played darn near flawless rhe whole rack only to miss easy shots at the 8. 3 in a row to be exact.

Just plain embarrasing.
One thing that I've learned in 15 years of league play is that you're gonna have nights like that every once in a while. I've had a night or two in the past where I laid awake most of the night wondering wtf happened. And it's never that I lost, it's always those easy shots I dogged to cause me to lose. I spend a lot of time practicing, trying to keep my fundamentals/eye patterns in order. All I want when I go to league play is to see some of that practice pay off. When I have a bad shooting night, win or lose I am disappointed. Shake it off my friend, what goes around comes around.

I had a Rackless night against a SL4 last night. Beat him four straight games. I didn't shoot up to my expectations and it made the win kind of hollow. We both shot not-so-great.

So, in reference to my last post......I shoot well and I get my ass handed to me.....I shoot below my expectations and I win handily.

Again.....go figure.

Maniac

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just plain embarrasing.

I feel your pain.

I think I already have this posted here but I had a match and I got there early, practiced, was on fire! Went up 4-1, then 7-4 (race to 9, match was mine) then he realized that anytime he played safe I would get the hit so he finally said screw it and started going for it. Well, he caught a gear and I missed a couple of easy shots. He won 9-7.

It was one of those nights where I was shooting great most of the night but missed a few key balls (I also missed 2 8B's, would've been match, and rattled my last ball in the corner when the 8 was sitting in another corner) and was flabbergasted I didn't win. Of course, mine wasn't league and was an action game so that didn't help.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that I've learned in 15 years of league play is that you're gonna have nights like that every once in a while. I've had a night or two in the past where I laid awake most of the night wondering wtf happened. And it's never that I lost, it's always those easy shots I dogged to cause me to lose. I spend a lot of time practicing, trying to keep my fundamentals/eye patterns in order. All I want when I go to league play is to see some of that practice pay off. When I have a bad shooting night, win or lose I am disappointed. Shake it off my friend, what goes around comes around.

I had a Rackless night against a SL4 last night. Beat him four straight games. I didn't shoot up to my expectations and it made the win kind of hollow. We both shot not-so-great.

So, in reference to my last post......I shoot well and I get my ass handed to me.....I shoot below my expectations and I win handily.

Again.....go figure.

Maniac

I didnt play friday night due to my team was on fire and won in 3 matches.

Yesterday i faced another 5 and won 4-2. I also didn't shoot that great but never oncd missdd the 8 ball and a few wede way more difficult than the other night.

After the match i had a team mate state to me i ahould have won that match 4-0 . he said it seemed i have a problem staying focused the entire match. He said i shot great the first 2 racks...seemed almost disinterested the next 2 racks...which i lost and then played strong the last 2 racks.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Conversation with myself tonight...

"I should have beaten that guy tonight. I should beat him anytime we play."

"Did you beat him?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Could've been me having one too many beers. Could've been him making a few too many shit shots. I could've been too over confident."

"So you lost."

"Yup."

"Whose fault?"

"Mine."

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The region's covid restrictions finally eased up enough for the rooms to open to 50 occupants, and league's to start back up. First week was a captains meeting to go over what the LO had to do so everyone could enjoy what was left of the season. The second week we got to play. Then we were promptly locked back down again for at least another month...lol.

At least we got a single week of play in. I sat for the evening, but I think everyone else enjoyed it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm bout ready to quit the rest of the season, 3 weeks left and my team is in 1st.

Last week, a guy I always beat thought up a great plan to go heavy defense, heavy af, like 5 safeties to one offensive shot, even when he had clear shots , made no attempt to get out. Played mega scared, his plan worked and it got to me.

I got him back though on a Saturday tournament when he did that shit again, I made 2 circus shots to get out on him, I just nodded my head, you gotta make balls sometime if you want to win.

Last night, I'm playing great, but I miss 4 different times at the 8, I can't believe it, even on my last game to get us one point, I out played him in a great safety battle, get bih and totally f my position on the 8 and lose, 2 balls I can't get out.

I need a break, this isn't fun to me right now, Missing the 8 like thatso many times , f I could have won that easily.

The lows are lower than the highs are high, need a different atmosphere or just a break. Sucks right now

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I'm bout ready to quit the rest of the season, 3 weeks left and my team is in 1st.
Chin up Texas...
My Monday league has been fun but our team has been struggling. Our APA league fell apart so this is our first season in TAP. The other teams are packed with some higher level players so we have been floating in the last to second to last place. But last night was a real spirit lifting experience. We swept all five matches against the first place team. A win is a win but it was nice that we actually beat them, they didn't beat themselves. We only had five team members available last night so we had to play what we had.

We have a level 2 play against a 3 (plays like a 4) and she took him out. We know he is normally a jerk, but he just walked off without even acknowledging her win. The look on his face was priceless.

Our level 5 player played their 5 and won every game. His position play was really on point last night. On the last game our guy was on the eight and the other guy played safe leaving the the eight near the corner pocket and the cue behind his ball on the short rail. The eight was too close to the rail to do a long kick so he pulled off a beautifully clean massé for the win.

I should have had a rackless night against a level higher player, but on my last ball I scratched at the worst time giving him ball in hand on the eight ball. The next game I was shooting really well and left him with 4 balls on the table.

We are still near the bottom, but last night was so satisfying and shows we can get there.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I been playing like crap , my team lost the first 3 matches of the season, but haven't lost since, 14 weeks straight, even when play like crap, last night I imagine we won again,

I'm just very frustrated with myself.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Finally able to jump on a 14.1 league,
Not teams but one on one competition, this is exciting

Also found a bca team needing a player,
Bca crowd seems a bit more relaxed to apa lol