how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another normal night last night

Got my butt kicked in 9 ball. Lost 65-20 in a 65-46 race. Seemed like i could do nothing right. Also seemed like my head was just not in it.

I wound up playing the same guy in 8 ball in a 5-3 race...him going to 5 of course. I won 3-2.

Well after getting embarrased in 9 ball i was bound and determined he was not doing the same in 8 ball.

He won the flip and aftrr he broke dry i ran 5 balls. He ran a few and he decided to play a safe. I kicked out...made a ball and ran out.

I break the 2nd rack and the cue ball left the table. Now fellas this is unheard of for me. It's probably been 10 years since the cue ball left the table on my 8 ball break. Now i am known on here to complain about my 9 ball brwak but i have been brraking from the same location...same speed for years witg no problem.

Any way he runs the rack.

3 rd rack was a break and run for him.

4th rack was a dry break from him...i ran a few balls and played safe. He missed his shot and i ran a couple more...couldnt get out so i decided to lock up the 8 ball. Well it turns into a real safety battle with me just moving my last 2 balls around until he broke out the 8 then i ran out.

5th rack was another safety battle with me winning this rack also for a 3-2 win.

Now i realize that i am capable of playing pretty decent 9 ball on occasion but those occassions seem pretty far between lately. With that said it puzzles me how i am still a 5 in 8 ball and a 6 in 9 ball when my 8 ball game is more consistent and a lot higher win percentage.

It does not matter what their skill level is...its usually alway the same outcome.... they beat me 9 ball and i beat them 8 ball.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Got my first night in bca last night
Won 3 , 40 points.
Felt like a break of fresh air, same room, very different environment. Played fine.

I forgotten what it was like in a single race game league, felt good and loose and fun .

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my first night in bca last night
Won 3 , 40 points.
Felt like a break of fresh air, same room, very different environment. Played fine.

I forgotten what it was like in a single race game league, felt good and loose and fun .

Whats the format and scoring system ?

When i played bcapl it was one point for each ball and two for the 8 ball. So a win would be 9 points. 5 man teams and you played each player on the other team once. If you won all 5 racks it would be 40 points. Glad you enjoyed it.

Well last night was my final night on friday night session. I had a few players dropping off the team and i just decided to fold it. It now leaves me just one night of pool and i am kinda glad. I felt like i was getting burnt out.

So about last night. Well both games went just like usual. Lost 9 ball ....won 8 ball.

I faced a 6 like me in 9 ball. He wins the flip and breaks and runs three balls and then combos the hanging 9 ball. Real quick 5 -0 lead.

Second rack he breaks dry. I attempt a two rail kick at the one ball....miss the one ball by about an inch and a half. He gets bih and runs the table. I am down 15-0 nothing real quick.

Well i finally get a shot at a ball in the third rack and from there on it turns into a tough battle with me and him playing safes every now and then but i am gaining on him.

Last rack its him 41 me 40. I break dry and leave a good layout. He runs five balls to win the match 46-40. Another tough loss....nothing new.

I face a 4 in 8 ball and its a 4-3 race. I win the first two with no problem. Get a lil careless in the third rack and leave him a good shot and he runs 4 balls and pockets the 8.

So i get back in focus and win the next 2 racks with no problem and win 4-1. Shoulda been a 4-0 win but it goes that way sometimes when you get careless with a lower level player .

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
It's 10 for a win and the rest is the same where I'm playing, same thing as the vnea I played for a few yrs

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
When i played bcapl it was one point for each ball and two for the 8 ball. So a win would be 9 points. 5 man teams and you played each player on the other team once. If you won all 5 racks it would be 40 points. Glad you enjoyed it.
Exact same format as we used the last time I played BCA rules, but that's been quite a few years ago. That was back before they put the PL at the end of BCAPL.

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exact same format as we used the last time I played BCA rules, but that's been quite a few years ago. That was back before they put the PL at the end of BCAPL.

Maniac

To texas and maniac. Not sure if it was a typo or my math was wonkers but its 45 for winning all matches not 40. Yea i have heard of areas giving 10 points for a win.

Yea its been a long time since i played bcapl....might have been just been bca at the time. Lets see....played bca for a year ...quit pool entirely for 4 years due to lifes little problems getting in the way....then joined apa 11 years ago. So its been 15 years since i played bca.

I have told of my introduction to league on this forum before...not sure if in this thread or not but would like to share with you guys again. Kinda funny looking back on it.

I played in bars during my younger years and quit for 30 years doing the marriage and raising a family thing.

Upon being single again i started hitting bars and playing pool again. After beating this guy about 4 games in a row one night he asked what league i played in and what my handicap was.

I told him i had never played league. He asked why not ? I told him i didnt think i was that good at it. Now i had an idea i was a pretty decent bar banger but i knew there was a while lot better players out there than me that played real pool in pool halls. He said i was better than any one on his team and asked if i would join . i said yea and met him on the agreed upon night at the pool hall.

So i show up and he introduces me to his captain and says he found them a new player. The captain asks what my handicap is and i said i dont have one. He asks....you never played league and i said nope. He then asks his guy where did he meet me at and he says a bar.

The captain said we dont need anyone who has never played league. The guy then tells him that i am real good and the captain again says we don't need him.

So the guy apologizes to me and asks if i still want to play league he could introduce me to the league operator and i thought for a minute. Well this guy thinks i am good so heck...give it a shot.. I say ok introduce me.

Well i get placed on a team and boy was i in for a rude awakening.

1. What ya mean its a foul and you get bih cause nothing hit a rail ?

2. What ya mean a scratch on the 8 ball is not a loss ?

3. What ya mean you get bih anywhere on the table after a scratch on the break ?

4. What ya mean you made a solid on the break but you can take stripes if you want to ?

5. What ya mean if i make 2 solids on the break but elect to take stripes you get the points for those 2 solids ?

6. What ya mean you still shoot sfter slopping a ball in even if you did call that pocket ?

Well you get the idea. It was a completely different way of playing 8 ball than what i was used to. But i did get the hang of it and enjoyed it tremendously once i embraced the rules and safety play which is total chickecrap to a bar banger lol.

And i really enjoyed beating the crap out of that captains team that didnt want me every time faced them.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I have a cousin who wants to get into apa,
Who is the king of all bangers. Actually got him playing in a 9 ball tournament with me.

His mind is literally locked up, and the key thrown away, can't get outside the bounds of straight 8no slop. So I don't know what's going to happen but it will be entertaining.

He sharks when your shooting the 8, stands over the table when your shooting, throws the chalks in the pockets, never chalks, rather constantly scuffs the tip. Shoots with full body english on every shot, like he's fencing with style.

Hammers every shot goes into the pile 8ball flying all over, banks almost every shot, smacks the table with a cue in ritualistic fashion as if tapping it to say let's go. Literally kicks banks shoots the most low percentage every time.

I ask him to play a game a banks since he loves to bank,
His mind can't comprehend.

What do you say, should I do this to my league? Should I unleash this upon them even though they never did anything that bad to me???!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cousin who wants to get into apa,
Who is the king of all bangers. Actually got him playing in a 9 ball tournament with me.

His mind is literally locked up, and the key thrown away, can't get outside the bounds of straight 8no slop. So I don't know what's going to happen but it will be entertaining.

He sharks when your shooting the 8, stands over the table when your shooting, throws the chalks in the pockets, never chalks, rather constantly scuffs the tip. Shoots with full body english on every shot, like he's fencing with style.

Hammers every shot goes into the pile 8ball flying all over, banks almost every shot, smacks the table with a cue in ritualistic fashion as if tapping it to say let's go. Literally kicks banks shoots the most low percentage every time.

I ask him to play a game a banks since he loves to bank,
His mind can't comprehend.

What do you say, should I do this to my league? Should I unleash this upon them even though they never did anything that bad to me???!!

Only if you want him to get his azz whipped. I am sure therr would be quite.a few people who would not tolerate those shenanigans lol.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want you guys to know that no way my above post is meant as a knock on bcapl. It was simply my perspective back then as a complete noob about rules that were completely foreign to me. Looking back i will say that the team i played for was the most drama free team i have ever played on.

The one thing that i never took a liking to was just playing each opponent one rack. If some one put a break and run on you you never got another shot at them until the next time your team played them. On the other hand the open break rule made it easier to have break and runs of my own.

So now my introduction to apa.

After 4 years of never picking up a cue after leaving bca i started hitting bars again and playing pool.

One night a girl asked if inwas interested in joining her team and itbso happened they played at the same pool hall i had played bca in and i said yea.

Well imagine my surprise when i found out it

was apa...another league i had never heard of before joining.

Another rude awakening. Slop counts ...wtf ?

Next rude awakening...they played 9 ball alsonthe same night. I absolutely hated the fact that some one could just blast away at the object ball ...scattering balls all over the table and hope something fell.

So halfway through my first match i hear the opposing captain on the phone complaining to some one about me...later found out it was the league operator..

Between innings and racks the other captain was asking me questions while still on the phone.

Her: have you played apa before.
Me : nope
Her : have you played any league before.
Me : yea bca
Her : when and where
Me : here about 4 and a half years ago
Her : what was you handicap
Me : a 7

Sonshe goes on about me being a known player and i shouldnt be starting as a 4 yada yada yada.

My captain interjected that he didnt know i had played bca and that i was not a known player. He asks...does anyone here know him ? Silence.

So as you would expect inwss raised the following week.

So just like in bca i eventually acclimated to the new rules and started enjoying playing apa.

I do prefer the race format over playing every one once

Still hate slop though.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
5. What ya mean if i make 2 solids on the break but elect to take stripes you get the points for those 2 solids ?
Well that's a new one for me.... Never heard of getting credit for balls made off the break if you opt for the other.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I do prefer the race format over playing every one once
I did as well initially... After a short while it made it uninteresting. In the particular APA(CPA) league I was in, no one was willing a race against me so I could check out mentally and still keep them off the hill.

The single game round robin format will provide some WTF loses from time to time, but it keeps you humble imo. That and I like playing everybody

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that's a new one for me.... Never heard of getting credit for balls made off the break if you opt for the other.

No, the opponent gets credit for the stripes you made on the break if you choose solids and vice versa, even if you break and run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
No, the opponent gets credit for the stripes you made on the break if you choose solids and vice versa, even if you break and run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep sry.... I miss read his post. That's actually the rule I'm used to seeing.

Thank you for the clarification ;)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well last night was the start of a new session.

It was a real great start. I lost my first 8 ball match after winning about 6 in a row to end last session. Lost 5-2 in a 5-4 race. I was missimg shots i should never miss.

Didnt play 9 ball due to the handicap limit. Actually we had to forfeit the last match although we had 5 players there. On the bright side i didn't lose 9 ball after losing the last 6 in a eow to end last session.

Yep...we are off to a real great start.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I beat a 7 last night he wasn't happy to begin playing me rather than myteam mate who's a 6 that he always beats.

Me being a 5 it's a 3-5 race, and my a game was on, 3 quick 2 inning games 7-8 ball outs.

Then some of his uncharacteristic misses made me think maybe he wants to try and go down to a 6 , no matter I was on my a game would have been a tough match for him to win no matter what, I skunked him and got 3 points for our team that needs all the points we can get to hold on to the 1st place, it's going to come down to the last week since the team has been playing like shit not scoring points instead of that cool 20 something point lead. All blown were only up by about 7 points rn.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been doing ok in league. I'm 3 for 4 and only lost by 1 or 2 balls in my only loss. Holding a 70% point percentage and currently in first for MVP but I need one more match to qualify. There is one other player with 70% but he needs two matches to qualify.

This will be my last APA session for a while. I've been a captain for a few years and I'm an SL9 and frankly I'm tired of rounding up the cattle and trying to deal with SL caps. My son actually said he might take the team over so that helps. I told him I'll stay on as a sub as long as there's room but generally speaking as an SL9 it's pretty hard to sub me for someone else.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
A better week of bca, only left 3 balls on the table all night.

After beating their best players in 1 and 2 inning outs he had to complain to the l.o.

Funny as hell I think the shit bca players talk about apa, and him, one of the better players is saying to the league operator, look at his apa sl and percentage! He needs to be adjusted.

Each league I start in there's complaints in the early weeks. It all evens out sooner or later, chill you should know this by now.

He was just not happy about the huge handicap given, and they didn't win a single round. But it'll take a good while for that stuff to reach the system and adjust, which he should know.

The team I'm on is dead last, that team is probably competing lol.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
We won 1st place going to the tri cups.

Strange to me that league night is on oversized 8ftrrs and tricups are on bar tables. We'll be ready as can be, I hear it's actually a few months away, and I have the perfect table to get us in shape for bar tables, my own 6ft valley with 4.25 corner pockets