how are ya'll doing in league ?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i didnt know how to handle it, i was like what am i doing here lol
felt like a tool

I don't know if I've ever experienced that before outside of APA because honestly, I generally don't care if someone wants to sandbag - they have to sleep with themselves at night, but if I saw it happening at THAT level, yeah, let's just say I wouldn't thwarted their attempts ;)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So close !!

I played in our captains qualifying tournamemt for vegas today.

Here is the format for those not familiar with this kind of tournament.

3 man teams with a total if 15 max handicap.
Each player plays one rack against their opponent and a win is worth 1 point. Each rack rotates from 8 ball to 9 ball.

Example :
Players in the first rack play 8 ball.
Players in the second rack play 9 ball.
Players in the third rack play 8 ball.

Then the first 2 players play 9 ball this go round

And on and on until the first team to get to 5 points.

You play the same opponent the entire match rotatimg between 8 and 9 ball.

Unlike apa 9 ball rules in a race to points whoever sinks the 9 wins the rack and the twam recieves one point.

You start off with your lowest player. Then the next level and the best player last.

I love this format but as you know ...you cant please all the people all the time. The followimg is my one and only issue. Your highest rating goes towards your team handicap.

Use myself as an example. I am a 5 in 8 ball and a 6 in 9 ball. So my s/l 6 goes towards the team handicap. All well and good ....but...a 7/9 only counts as a 7 towards the handicap limit.

I broight this issue up last year at the captains tournament. The response from st. Louis? The highest attained level in 8 ball is a 7 so therefore any 7/8 s or above are rated as a 7 in this tournament. Real logical that i as a 5/6 is rated as a 6 in this tournament but a 7/9 is rated as a 7.

So back to this tournament. It was a nail biter from the first round all the way till we reached the finals. Every round went hill -hill with the score tied at 4-4. Being the highest rated player on my team i played last. Every time it came down to me playing 8 ball againt a 7.

O won 2 of those and lost 2. The last rack was a real tough loss that i will probably replay over and over in my head for a while. This guy was good...damn good. I kept playing safes with him on the 8 until i could get a run. He kept maimg contact with the 8 and damn near put it in the wrong pocket one time. Stopped 2 inches from the corner pocket with me having 3 ball left and nowhere to duck and hide. He left me all the way uo table with one of my balls dead center of the bottom left pocket. My other 2 ball were darn near locked up together so i cheated the pocket on my hanger just missing breakimgy last 2 balls up. One was a thin cut in the left side and the other was a thin cut im the left corner. I chise the one in the side and the cue ball went 2 rails stopping almost even with my last ball. My only optiom was a cross side bank...i hit the tip of the pocket and left it hanging. Aww shit !!

So close to going to vegas yet it might as well have been missed by a mile.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different week same story at league. Won 8 ball...lost 9 ball.

Faced another 5 in 8 ball and won 4-1 in a 4-4 race.

Later i faced the same player in 9 ball where i am a 6 and he is a 5. 46-38 race and i lose 38-25. Score was 16-4.

I won the lag and broke dry. He runs the table. He breaks the second rack and makes 4 balls with one id thwm being the 9.

He breaks the third rack making 2 balls and then pockets 3 more before missing.

So i am down 20 -0 when i finally get to shoot which means they are over halfway to their required points before i even get a point. Hard to get your head in the game feeling its gonna be another beatdown like all the recent 9 balls games i have lost.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Last night’s games felt pretty good. In my Monday league (TAP) I am a 3 and I played against a 4. It was a 2/3 race and I shot really well the first game and won. The second started great, but on my last three balls I started missing badly. The only thing helping me was my leave. We went round and round, nothing felt right and in the end I lost. The third game was a fresh start and I played better, but in the end still lost. The fourth game was hill-hill, fought my way to the end for the win. They were long strategic games. Now that I am more confident, I am not focusing mainly on just trying to pocket the balls. I’ve been working this past year on how to play a bit smarter with where the ball ends up after the shot.

I was reading some posts on the use of jump cues here recently. There are some interesting points on the subject, but I didn’t fully grok the issue until now. I was happy I was able to hide the ball forcing him into having to kick at it, but instead he pulled out a jump cue. This was a first for me, and it was a real let down. I know the rules and it was legal, but it still felt a little like cheating watching him jump over the ball I so carefully put the cue ball behind. I have nothing against jumping per say, and it is cool to see if done well. I have even thought it would be interesting to try it sometime. It just caught me a little off guard. I knew it was in the rules. In TAP you are allowed to jump if you are a level 4 or above. In my opinion though, I think the rule should be a 4 can use it but only if the opponent at least a 4 too.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night’s games felt pretty good. In my Monday league (TAP) I am a 3 and I played against a 4. It was a 2/3 race and I shot really well the first game and won. The second started great, but on my last three balls I started missing badly. The only thing helping me was my leave. We went round and round, nothing felt right and in the end I lost. The third game was a fresh start and I played better, but in the end still lost. The fourth game was hill-hill, fought my way to the end for the win. They were long strategic games. Now that I am more confident, I am not focusing mainly on just trying to pocket the balls. I’ve been working this past year on how to play a bit smarter with where the ball ends up after the shot.

I was reading some posts on the use of jump cues here recently. There are some interesting points on the subject, but I didn’t fully grok the issue until now. I was happy I was able to hide the ball forcing him into having to kick at it, but instead he pulled out a jump cue. This was a first for me, and it was a real let down. I know the rules and it was legal, but it still felt a little like cheating watching him jump over the ball I so carefully put the cue ball behind. I have nothing against jumping per say, and it is cool to see if done well. I have even thought it would be interesting to try it sometime. It just caught me a little off guard. I knew it was in the rules. In TAP you are allowed to jump if you are a level 4 or above. In my opinion though, I think the rule should be a 4 can use it but only if the opponent at least a 4 too.
Congrats on what seemed like a tough win. I enjoy a tough hill - hill win more than an easy win. Just seems more satisfying battling it out and comimg out on top.

I only played tap for 2 sessions and dont recall any one using a jump cue. I like the league ok buy it folded due to couldnt get enough players to join.

Same with usapl although it lasted a year i believe. Speaking of usapl...the rule is the same as apa. You can jump but you need fo use a full cue. One night i was playing a guy who i recall having a fargo rate just a little lower that mine.

We were playing 8 ball and i played a safe on him . he grabs his break stick and not only made a successful jump but pocketed the intended ball.

I thought to myself...darn that was a prerty good jump from a guy rated less than me. Later on i played another safe and again he made a nice jump with his full cue but failed to poxket the ball.

Well later on i played another safe and managed to lock the cue ball up against ome of my balls. As i walked away fdom the table i looked over at him and said...jump that sucka. Every one on both teams...includimg my opponemt started laughing.

Now some people may take me the wrong way and i am no keith mcready by any stretch of the imagination but i am prone to throw out a one liner like that from time to time. Never while they are at the table of course.

Oh yea...he had to resort to a kick and missed by a mile .

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Played 9-ball last night as a 5 against a 7. First shot of the match clanged the 1-ball in the pocket and left a hanger. Mr. 7 ran out.

Second rack clanged the 2-ball in the same pocket (nearly the same shot as the first rack). Mr. 7 ran out.

I was down 20-something to 3 soon thereafter.

My safeties were terrible; too short or too long. My shot making was terrible. I don't think I ran more than 3 balls in a row, and then only when the match was already out of reach.

Lost the match 55-13. FIFTY-FIVE TO THIRTEEN!!!

Totally gutted and discouraged. Daydreamed about what I would do with the $ and the space in the house when the pool table and cues have been sold. Sigh.
I totally get where you're at. You gotta keep shooting. And try to not overthink it. When I get in one of those modes (and it happens all too often) i eventually get back to basics. Focus on the ball at hand, stop concerning myself with shape, make this ball, dammit... Once you start getting comfortable with your stroke again, getting shape will follow.

Don't let it get you too down, we all have a turn at this...

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Got my first 3-0 in a very long time last night...felt good. I was playing a four, so he gave me more opportunities than I deserved, but I made a few good shots, too.

Looks like I dont have a 9-ball team next session, first time in 10 years this 9-ball team hasn't played. Not sure if I'm gonna jump on another team or take the session off. Been twice a week for 10 years, 12 years since I started APA. It will be strange...never know, once word gets out that I'm not playing, someone might reach out. I'll decide then.

dquarasr

Registered
Different week same story at league. Won 8 ball...lost 9 ball.

Faced another 5 in 8 ball and won 4-1 in a 4-4 race.

Later i faced the same player in 9 ball where i am a 6 and he is a 5. 46-38 race and i lose 38-25. Score was 16-4.

I won the lag and broke dry. He runs the table. He breaks the second rack and makes 4 balls with one id thwm being the 9.

He breaks the third rack making 2 balls and then pockets 3 more before missing.

So i am down 20 -0 when i finally get to shoot which means they are over halfway to their required points before i even get a point. Hard to get your head in the game feeling its gonna be another beatdown like all the recent 9 balls games i have lost.
I know what that feels like. (May I assume this is APA?)

Your opponent is a 5? And ran out on you when you broke dry? I'm a 5 and I can't even sniff at running out. Unfortunately, I usually screw something up, max I can typically run is 5 balls at a time. And that's when I am shooting well. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't be a 5.

(I only recently was moved to a 5 after returning from a year-long break due to Covid. I won pretty big my first two weeks starting the spring season, then was moved to a 5, and since have lost miserably first to a 4, then last week lost 55-13 to a 6.)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Your opponent is a 5? And ran out on you when you broke dry? I'm a 5 and I can't even sniff at running out. Unfortunately, I usually screw something up, max I can typically run is 5 balls at a time. And that's when I am shooting well. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't be a 5.

(I only recently was moved to a 5 after returning from a year-long break due to Covid. I won pretty big my first two weeks starting the spring season, then was moved to a 5, and since have lost miserably first to a 4, then last week lost 55-13 to a 6.)

i had a handful of run outs my last season as a 5 in apa, as well as bca being sub 500 fargo as i just got into bca
for what its worth

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It’s what we bangers do when we’re not playing $10 sets. 😂
I enjoy the banger league I'm kinda in... I say kinda because we've been under some level of lockdown for about a year now. Since March/April 2020, we've managed a single week of league.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
i didnt know how to handle it, i was like what am i doing here lol
felt like a tool
Get in their head if you can. If I ever play someone who is stalling, I stall for twice as long and make them lose patience. Get ball in hand 5 times in a row and shoot for safeties, whatever it takes. If they want me to win, I'll win, but it's going to be frustrating for them and their feet may get tired. If they are purposely sandbagging, I want to make them look like the tool to the entire room. I hate sandbaggers, it's poor sportsmanship at it's worst, but I'm going to have some real fun at their expense! Ask if they want to play for $5 on the side, might as well make $5 at their expense or make them look like a chicken for not taking the action.

Depending on how lax the league is, I'm not even above some verbal hijinks. Ask them if the levee is still holding up 😂 . After the win make sure to comment on how you've never believed in lucky rolls until tonight, etc.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Something i have learned over the years is that all players in any particular skill level are not equal.

I rate players at a particular skill level on 4 categories.

1. Weak : this is usually a player that has just moved up a level. This is usually no mans land. Better than most in their previous level but not good enough to spot those same players at their new level and cannot compete with established players in their new level.

2. Good : just what it implies.

3. Strong : have been at their current level for a while and routinely beat weak and good players at their level and capable of beating higher handicaps who might not be having a good day.

4. Oughta be at the next level : just what it implies.

This 5 thst just beat me is one of those that oughta be at the next level. I dont worry about these players too much because i have found that they usually do go up to the next level .

Those strong players are the ones i worry about. They manageto stay at this level for years and keep winning and never go up.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was busy when i made the post above and now have the time to use myself as an example of categorizing players at any particular handicap level.

Disclaimer : i do not have an ego or think i am better than i really am but would classify my 8 ball handicap as one that oughta be the next level.

Actually my handicap was at the next level for one session 6 years ago. Back then i tried to run out every rack. As most of you know... When you fail to run out you make it easier for your opponent to run out. Live by the sword or die by the sword so to speak. As a result every match went just a few innnings regardless of whether it was a win or loss.

I changed my 8 ball completely after being shut out 5 to nothing in our cities by another 6 who safed the crap out of me. That butt whipping opened my eyes and i turned my game into more of a chess match. As a result my handicap went down and my win percentage went up.

Now i am not a sandbagger at all but i quit running 6 balls and failing to make my last ball and then sit and watch my oppomemt run out. I utilize a lot of 2 way shots and.y safes are marked but it jist so happens that there are more innings per match than when i tried to run out every rack thus i have stayed where i currently am for several years.

I make it no secret with my opponemts that i feel i oughta be a 6 and darn near every one agrees with me. Far be it for me to tell my lo though.

Now as for 9 ball. I am a weak 6. Have been a weak 6 for 3 years now.

Why ? A multitude of reasons but the main one is lack of mental toughness...particularly against lower level players. I am capable of playing as a 6 or otherwise i would have never been raised.

Reasons for being a weak 6 are below in no particualr order.

Frustrated when i dry break and leave a wide open table for my opponent.

Frustrated with having the reputation as the worst 9 ball breaker on my team...although i am usually the highest handicapped 9 ball player on my team. Jist had an 8 join this session so i am. Now the second highest rated.

Frustrated when my opponent runs multiple balls ...misses and leaves me hooked. How about when a 4 runs 5 balls misses the 8 and leaves it on the top rail and the cue ball wimds up behind the 9. Then she jumps up and acts like she just played the best safe ever and her whole team is clapping and stomping their feet and laughing their azz off. This is after about half a dozen such scenarios during the match. As a result she is up 30 to 10 and needs just one point. I kick 2 rails making a legal hit but knocking it off the rail leaving her a straight in shot in the corner.

I probably add to their enthusiasm by standing there with what the fvck look on my face.

Many such matches like the above.

Frustrated by all the slop ...especially when 5's and above resort to flailing away at the object ball hoping something falls somewhere. Yea i know its apa and slop counts even in 8 ball but even lower level players hardly ever resort to flailing away warp speed at a ball in fear of making an early 8.

This may sound strange but i have a better win record against 7's ...8 's and 9' s than i do 5's and lower. I can get out of a well played safe by a 9 better than i can a lucky leave by a 4. I admire and respect the safety play by a higher opponent and i can keep my focus in trying to kick out of such situations. But a 5 or lower that runs several balls with a few slop shots mixed in and when they finaly miss leaving you hooked just rattles my brain .

Yea i realize i need to develop mental toughness when facing such situations but easier said than done.

I do save face and exact a little revenge when i face these same opponemts in 8 ball ...silences their whole team when i shut them out for a 4-0 win.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still on a roll in 8 ball. I won 4-1 in a 4-4 race.

Well for the great news ....i won 9 ball tonight. My first win after going 0 for 3.

I played a 5 in a 46-38 race and won 46-21 for a 16-4 score. . i think 16-4 is what he beat me by the first match of the session.

Feels good to finally play 9 ball like i am capable of. Now if i can kist keep it up.....hopefully.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
if I was a veteran and in league, I'd definitely want to be playing tonight. Ours is cancelled
It'll be 4 weeks in the new season before I get to hit a ball, and I'll be up against an apa3 who's got a Fargo of 560 🙄
On his home room with crappy bar equipment, and y'all know how I feel about crappy bar equipment