how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
called it quits monday 8ball apa, cant suffer the childish behavior any longer.
gonna take a break from that crowd for a minute lol.

bca wasnt nice to me last night 0-5 worst ive ever played,
ill start on another team tonight. 3 person team bca

Hate to hear of your negative experience. I gotta say there have been a few times people have gotten my blood boiling but thankfully those imcidents have been few and far between. Also helps that i have mellowed a bit in my old age and don't hold a grudge for more than a year or so now.

Sadly nowadays there is no alternative to apa league other than a money league and i encountered so much drama when i played it that i would never go back. Playing for money seems to bring out the worse in pool players.

Good luck in your new league.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had another one of those shoulda...coulda ..woulda won matches last night..

But first a lil backstory . i have always been the type of captain to match up as close to handicaps as possible...exceptions during playoffs or higher when the situation warrants.

Usaually it was me that was the highest on my teams so i always played the highest the other team had.

Well i had a 7/8 join my team 2 sessions ago so i have been matching him up wity the opposing best.

He was handling his own until we happen to have a few high level players join lately. My guy has been getting his azz handed to him by them. One of them beat my guy last night in 9 ball tonthe tume of 20-0. The points were 75-9 in a 75-65 race.

Afterwards my guy comes up to me and says...you can play him 8 ball cause i aint.
I thought wth??? But said ok i can deal with that. I have always been one that if a guy beats me...no matter how bad in either format i wanted another shot at him later that night in the other format.

So sure enough i manage to match up with this 7/9 in 8 ball later that night in a 5-3 race with him goimg to 5 of course.

I win the lag and break dry. He runs the table. . second rack goes back and forth witg us both playing a few safes but he manages to pull off another win and is up 2-0. Third rack is much like the second one but i win.

I break the fourth rack and get down to the 8 and as i get down for my shot i suddenly realize i am on a break and run. Well common zense said to get back up and reset and get your focus back. Well i didnt do that and rattled the pocket. He runs out and makes it 3-1 when it should have been 2-2 with me on the hill.

So i am a lil upset witg myself and my game goes down slightly but still had a chance to win a couple racks but didnt pull it off. So i lost 5-1 and last session i beat him 3-2 . shoulda woulda coulda done it again if i hadnt beat myself.

I have to think about if i really want this 7/8 on my team or not. I am not scared to play anyone in our league and without trying to claim i think i am better than i really am i pretty much hold my own with the best when it comes to 8 ball if i keep my head in the game. 9 ball is a different story though. Any one can beat the crap outa me in 9 ball on any given night no matter what their handicap is..

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Been subbing in a sanctioned 8 ball league for the last couple weeks. It's much better than the Monday night league as there are only 4 players per team. Starts at 2 PM so you can get out at a decent time and the crowd is less rowdy and are always ready to shoot when their turn comes.

I don't know what league it is, but each ball is worth 1 point, and the 8 is worth 3. If you win you get 10 points, if you lose and have 2 balls left on the table you get 5 points. I have no idea if it's handicapped or not.

Last week (my first week) I did really well after playing 1P during smoke breaks in the Alex/Tony match, and after the match. After playing 8 hours or so of 1P, 8B seemed like a very easy game, couldn't miss. Anyway I ended up with 36 points, so I won 3 lost 1.

This week I got 27 points. I felt like I played very good but I ended up winning 2 games. 1 loss I didn't feel bad, I did all I could, even blocked his pocket but he rolled his ball in the same pocket after mine. It's all call pocket (unless obvious) and he made a damn fine shot. I played smart but he did better. The second loss... guy ran 5 balls and left me in a strange situation. I could have shot some balls in, but the 10 was sitting funny. I decided to shoot the 10 and when it went I could probably run out, pretty easy table layout. Well... I missed the 10, still not sure what happened, it felt right but it just grazed the corner point and sit 1/8" from falling, on a valley 🤣. It really was hit good but apparently the bucket was a bit tighter than I gave it credit for! He then ran his last 2 balls and the 8 easily as I didn't play a 2 way as there was no way I could miss the 10! :cry:🤣

Fun times, if you guys can find a league that starts earlier in the day it's a much better experience IMO.

dquarasr

Registered
I don’t want to jinx it but after a dismal summer session, taking a few lessons, and working on my game, I’m 11-4 combined in 8- and 9-ball APA in fall session, right now #1 MVP rankings in both (SL 4 in 8, SL 5 in 9). I had been 11-2 before last week; lost both matches but both were really close.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Last night i figured to be my last game of apa 9b

I beat a 6 by my best margin to date
55-15
He just got mentally defeated when he saw I was in stroke.
I was in stroke, the table layout was always beneficial, and I got in a rythm so it was my night, he only broke one time. Nearly went rackless at 9ball lol
I even have pre game time way of prepping ,make sure to eat a meal and shower before leaving, and I usually play well if I take these steps lol

As the night goes I get asked to join a team, well our team had already crumbled to less than 5, they had 4, we had 4, everyone agrees to combine the 2. Now it makes sense to stay on. Several highs several lows and a few mids. A good mix, older more laid back people like me so no young people drama
. And I don't need to play every week which is a plus so I can see myself sticking around more.

Last edited:

Coyote501

I'm new to league play. I hadn't shoot pool for 15 years until a couple months ago. A guy saw a friend and myself shooting and asked us to join his APA team. So far I've shot in 5 matches. I defeated a 7,4,6 and a 5. Lost to a 3 in his first match. (Learned quickly not to shoot with a bad back and hungover) Main thing is I am having fun shooting pool, and I love the competition.

BlueRaider

Registered
I really need to get better at bar box 8-ball.

I have the stroke/ball pocketing ability of a 7 and the strategic thinking of a 5, so I'm squarely a 6. My average inning is me running a bunch of balls, painting myself into a corner, and then playing a moderately effective safety. When my safeties work out, I dominate. When they don't, I'm super vulnerable.

Last night, I messed up 3 safeties where I sold out and lost the game, AND I somehow scratched on an 8-ball shot that I'm still absolutely befuddled over. The tangent line was such that it appeared there was absolutely no way I would scratch, but I think the thinness of the cut + speed manipulated it just enough to cause the scratch.

I have 2 break and runs through 11 matches, but I also don't go for a big break or a second ball break. I hit the head ball square, moderate speed, and dead straight-on. In fact, I'm honestly finding that breaking dry seems to be an advantage in APA. Because almost no one plays a cautious game and instead it seems like everyone just starts picking off balls and then either misses, hooks themselves, or blows a breakout attempt.

Sadly, I'm part of that group, but I guess being a little better than average at safeties and kicking keeps me winning most of the time. But it is a bit frustrating to shoot better than some of the 7s but not quite be there because of a lack of knowledge/planning. I think it goes back to being a much lower-level player years ago and attempting to plan every runout, only to get frustrated because I didn't have the skills to do what I wanted to do. Now I do, but I've developed a bad habit of just freewheeling.

Coyote501

I really need to get better at bar box 8-ball.

I have the stroke/ball pocketing ability of a 7 and the strategic thinking of a 5, so I'm squarely a 6. My average inning is me running a bunch of balls, painting myself into a corner, and then playing a moderately effective safety. When my safeties work out, I dominate. When they don't, I'm super vulnerable.

Last night, I messed up 3 safeties where I sold out and lost the game, AND I somehow scratched on an 8-ball shot that I'm still absolutely befuddled over. The tangent line was such that it appeared there was absolutely no way I would scratch, but I think the thinness of the cut + speed manipulated it just enough to cause the scratch.

I have 2 break and runs through 11 matches, but I also don't go for a big break or a second ball break. I hit the head ball square, moderate speed, and dead straight-on. In fact, I'm honestly finding that breaking dry seems to be an advantage in APA. Because almost no one plays a cautious game and instead it seems like everyone just starts picking off balls and then either misses, hooks themselves, or blows a breakout attempt.

Sadly, I'm part of that group, but I guess being a little better than average at safeties and kicking keeps me winning most of the time. But it is a bit frustrating to shoot better than some of the 7s but not quite be there because of a lack of knowledge/planning. I think it goes back to being a much lower-level player years ago and attempting to plan every runout, only to get frustrated because I didn't have the skills to do what I wanted to do. Now I do, but I've developed a bad habit of just freewheeling.
What I try to do is a bit of both strategy and free wheeling. That way when the strategy doesn't work I can get outa jams. I also try to make at least one crazy off the wall shot early in the match to get in my opponents head. One of my biggest strengths is to be able to see possible shots that other players seem to not see. When I make one of those my opponents seem to be alittle intimidated. (At least so far) My biggest strength is my aggressiveness. Its also my biggest weakness. I also sometimes overthink a shot and miss it. I almost never use safeties, I need to work on that. I find I do better if the other person breaks, even if they make a couple shots. It clears the table a bit and I can go on a nice run.
It sounds to me like you need to work on planning for the next shot while you are taking (making) your current shot.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I feel I'm pretty good at strategy and safes.

That said once I started believing in myself more, I will hardly ever play a safe unless I screw position for the out.

Going all out offensive, while maintaining control my game went up alot. Now the only time I find myself playing safe is when the person initiates on me, and I can usually outplay most I encounter there, like last night he started with the safes, I turned it around easily and forced him into selling out and won.

Or I just leave em as far away from the shot and as close to the rail as I can, I've got a good speed control feel.

But mainly offensive minded is how the higher players play so I figured to start to play like them. All offense, with defense only when needing to save my butt.

Got back at the same team from last week with a 46 point bca night, screwed my out in the last match for a clean sweep. 🙄

dquarasr

Registered
I don’t want to jinx it but after a dismal summer session, taking a few lessons, and working on my game, I’m 11-4 combined in 8- and 9-ball APA in fall session, right now #1 MVP rankings in both (SL 4 in 8, SL 5 in 9). I had been 11-2 before last week; lost both matches but both were really close.
Played last night. Practicing every day and watching videos featuring pros, I'm getting more creative and confident, also learning when to safe and when to be on offense.

TLDR: 1) made a Z-shaped "good hit" when hooked. 2) Made a three-rail "round the table" 9-ball bank that wasn't luck, was planned and executed. 3) Executed a perfect safety, freezing CB against the 8 in hill-hill match. Won both 8- and 9-ball matches, 13-4 combined this fall season.

Details:
Among the litany of misses I should have made, I had three moments of which I'm pretty proud.

In 9-ball, I was truly safed. Hall doesn't allow jumping (not that I know how to anyways). So I lined up a Z kick. Nailed it! (No, didn't pocket the OB but at least I didn't give BIH).

A few racks later, my opponent left the CB about 6" from the short rail at the second diamond on the left, with the 9-ball about 1" from the long rail at the opposite and of the table just to the left of the center diamond. Pretty much anything I did was going to leave a shot, so I went for it. I lined up a three-rail bank: around 45-degrees on the short rail (don't quote me if that doesn't sound right; I don't recall the exact angle!), to around the 2nd diamond on the long rail, to the corner pocket where I was standing. I walked the table and worked out the angles, and shot it. Damned if the 9-ball didn't go in without touching the pocket opening! So in 9-ball I beat a SL7 (I'm a 5). I was disappointed I needed the handicap to win (I always strive to win straight up). Truth be told, my opponent did not shoot her best. I didn't shoot well at the start of the match, missed easy shots the first few racks then settled down. I was down 2-8 in the first rack but slowly fought by way back into the match.

In 8-ball, I went up against a SL6 and shot much better. We were hill-hill, and we were down to the last few balls. 8-ball was around 6" from the long rail, CB just on the other side of the middle of the table. My 2-ball was a few inches in front of the 8 with a slight angle from the 8. Too much of a cut to try to make the 2 in the corner; would have been a sell out. Hmmm. I lined up a safety and with perfect speed and alignment, I followed the 2-ball with an ever so slight angle to the short rail, knocking the 2 in front of the corner pocket, and nestling the CB frozen to the back of the 8 ball. Could not have executed it any better. Totally hooked my opponent. Got BIH and ran the rest of my balls, winning the match. But I will apologize to my opponent next week. Thinking about it this morning, I recall celebrating way too much after I nailed the safety. Wasn't very sporting of me but I surprised myself as my safeties, while sometimes OK, are rarely this perfect.

So I'm now 13-4 combined 8- and 9-ball, and I think after last night's matches I'll retain #1 MVP ranking in both 8 and 9. Hoping to keep up the solid progress. Looking forward to moving up in SL even if it will make winning more difficult. What a difference from the summer session when I thought about selling my table and cues. I'm glad I stuck with it.

dquarasr

Registered
Last night i figured to be my last game of apa 9b

I beat a 6 by my best margin to date
55-15
He just got mentally defeated when he saw I was in stroke.
I was in stroke, the table layout was always beneficial, and I got in a rythm so it was my night, he only broke one time. Nearly went rackless at 9ball lol
I even have pre game time way of prepping ,make sure to eat a meal and shower before leaving, and I usually play well if I take these steps lol

As the night goes I get asked to join a team, well our team had already crumbled to less than 5, they had 4, we had 4, everyone agrees to combine the 2. Now it makes sense to stay on. Several highs several lows and a few mids. A good mix, older more laid back people like me so no young people drama
. And I don't need to play every week which is a plus so I can see myself sticking around more.
I assume you know APA skill level per night is limited to 23. So a good mix of skill levels is required and in my opinion is a good idea to promote bringing in new blood to the sport.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
{Snip} I also try to make at least one crazy off the wall shot early in the match to get in my opponents head. One of my biggest strengths is to be able to see possible shots that other players seem to not see. When I make one of those my opponents seem to be alittle intimidated. (At least so far) {Snip]

Some years ago, our team moved from a traveling BCA 8 Ball league to a house league. Now, the other teams were not so sure about letting us in as we were one of the best teams in the City.

First night of league, I was first up. Guy broke dry. Left me with frozen cue ball on the 3 ball, cue toward the foot rail about halfway between the foot spot and the rail. Probably a bit inside the diamond in the foot rail toward the foot spot. 3 Ball was about 15 degrees Right of a head-on freeze. We are talking to the Left of the foot spot as you stand looking from the foot rail.

I check out the table and see that the 5 Ball is not quite in the center of the table, being a bit toward the foot spot and about two-thirds the distance between the foot spot and the 3 Ball to the Left (2/3 toward the 3 Ball). I thought if I threw the 3 Ball a bit right, it would carom off the 5 Ball and go in the Right side pocket. I called the shot and made it.

Well, my opponent freaked, as did his whole team. “I can’t even SEE a shot like that!”, he said.

We won the match, the league (undefeated) and went to Vegas, where most played table games and attempted to make a semi-respectable showing in the tournament. What else would you expect from a group of highly successful degenerates?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Gd this has been an infuriating night
Win first against the top dog, near 600
Lose next 4 to sub 450 players all on the same funky ass table. Right as I break into mid 500 Fargo myself 🙄

I already know how tmrw will go since 9ball was a shit show,

Last 3 week's my teams 330 players have out played me on my bad nights

I either dominate the week, or look like a fool , right now I'm in the middle of another clown week . Madly frustrating

dquarasr

Registered
I need to figure out how to start better as I’m a slow starter. I get better as a match goes on. Tonight in a SL3-SL5 9-ball APA match my opponent needed 25 to my 38. I fell behind the pace early. It was something like 12-12. Per the handicap I needed to be 150% of opponent’s ball count to be about even. Damn. Lost 25-34. At least I made a match out of it. And as I historically do, I rattled a ball on the last rack that would have gotten me out for the win. Ugh. I need to find myself earlier in matches. More pre-match practice would help as would being better focused earlier in matches. It’s a process and I’m still learning to overcome my weaknesses. If matches were longer I’d win more. As it is I’m 13-5 combined 8 and 9. Still respectable.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I need to figure out how to start better as I’m a slow starter. I get better as a match goes on. Tonight in a SL3-SL5 9-ball APA match my opponent needed 25 to my 38. I fell behind the pace early. It was something like 12-12. Per the handicap I needed to be 150% of opponent’s ball count to be about even. Damn. Lost 25-34. At least I made a match out of it. And as I historically do, I rattled a ball on the last rack that would have gotten me out for the win. Ugh. I need to find myself earlier in matches. More pre-match practice would help as would being better focused earlier in matches. It’s a process and I’m still learning to overcome my weaknesses. If matches were longer I’d win more. As it is I’m 13-5 combined 8 and 9. Still respectable.
I've been in the same boat. Jumping on a table cold or having a long wait before getting back on the table gave me a lot of trouble. I have been getting better recently. Part I am sure is having more time on the table. Also spending more time practicing (not playing) and focusing on the fundamentals has put me in a better place when I step up cold. I already know where I should be from the get go, so I may only need a small tweak rather than needing a game or two to find my groove.

Last night I played a new location I hadn't been to yet (bar league). My practice game was terrible. something was a little off. Because of the fundamental practice I know that when I see the shot going this way or that, I have a good idea what I need to adjust to get back on the proper shot line or stroke. The lighting was weird as well. I think it was throwing me off at first. Being able to recognize the variables and habitual flaws will get you back in the proper groove faster.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
i dont like to play practice games anymore, with team mates or alone,
ulness its 14.1.

i just practice shots that are in hard spots, full table straight shots. long cuts where the ball is close to the rail, long cut shots being on the rail shooting. i do these before playing now, my long straight shot has never been better, i love to just float balls in now, position is usually pretty easy, keeps me out of trouble and accuracy is way up for me

mizzoutiger26

Playing in 8-ball league for the first time this year, 'subbing' for a team that's one league under the masters in our area. So far I've played all four weeks, this week had my first 40 point week (4 matches per night) and had two 10-0s. I'm leading the league in 10-0s with 4 and tied for the league lead in break and run/opponent dry break and run with 3 and I'm over .500 in my own W/L (9-7). Super pleasantly surprised to get off to a good start because I definitely didn't think I was at a high enough level to be competitive with these players, I'm not super strong in cue ball control and pattern play decisions I think. The goal was to just get enough matches in to play my first tournaments this year but I might be able to work my way into the regular rotation if I keep the momentum going. Really enjoying just being able to play some competitive pool, definitely pretty nervy at times trying to make sure I don't drop games like 10-1, 10-2 and hamstring the team.

BlueRaider

Registered
I had probably my best ever performance in league last night (8 ball).

Missed 1 shot out of 4 racks and came within about an inch of running a 2-pack against my opponent, who is an SL 7. On the last 8 ball, I had a cut down the long rail and needed to put the cue ball where the object ball was to get shortside shape on the 8, but overran position just enough to make the cut impossible. I tied up the 8 with two of his balls and he messed up the breakout, so I ended up winning the rack anyway.

Disappointing to not get the 2-pack (as the second one required two difficult breakouts), but otherwise it was a 4-0 rackless win with a break and run. I've now got 3 out of 11 total matches played. I was primarily a 9-ball player for the past 6 years or so, but I find myself looking forward to my 8-ball matches more and more now.