Got into a toys fer tots tournament today apa

The other 6s didn't have a chance, I beat all 6s I play 5-1,5-2 this yr
cept one that I haven't beaten ever for some reason
but he wasn't there today

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
This.

I still find it interesting that a high level player would want to discourage lower level players who want to match up even, and forego the handicap. I always thought the higher level players wanted that kind of player...ones that aren't afraid to take their lumps in order to learn from the better players.

For some reason, some of them don't like it.

I used to play masters at state even though I wasn't one. I beat a guy and he laid into me like crazy, yelling that I shouldn't be there, was not a good player, etc. I couldn't get myself to tell him what his yelling really meant (about HIS game). I quit doing that after a couple years.

Jeff Livingston

BlueRaider

Registered
I believe my run on my current double jeopardy team is almost over unless we boot someone and replace them with a 2.

I’m a 6/7 and keep winning with fairly low inning matches. I was okay to move up in 8 ball but one of our other players went up to a 5 this week. If I go up to a 7, that’s it. I can’t play anymore.

I’m a little better off in 9 ball but again, if/when I go up to a 9, that’s it. I can keep playing as an 8 so I’ve got a little leeway there. But I think I’ll inevitably be a 9, although it might take a while to get there.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Such a frustrating night
I get down 4-2 to a good shooting 6
Come back to the hill, my ball open table he's just got one out of my way, I make a finesse short follow shot close to the rail and boom, ball goes 90 degrees as if there's a magnet in the rail, totally screwing my position and I lose

My ego / competitive side cannot let this stand and I can't go out with a losing record
BUT, i simply refuse to play any competition on another shit bar table. Will never do it again.

Mfer😤

Attachments

• flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg
    flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 50

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such a frustrating night
I get down 4-2 to a good shooting 6
Come back to the hill, my ball open table he's just got one out of my way, I make a finesse short follow shot close to the rail and boom, ball goes 90 degrees as if there's a magnet in the rail, totally screwing my position and I lose

My ego / competitive side cannot let this stand and I can't go out with a losing record
BUT, i simply refuse to play any competition on another shit bar table. Will never do it again.

Mfer😤
Dont take what i am about to say as a recomendation of what to do in those situations.

But first let me say i practically spent every weekend in bars in my younger days. Table conditions or warped house cues didnt faze me one bit. Just happy to be playing pool.

When i got into leagues and playing mostly at pool halls i got used to well maintained tables and used my own cues. In effect i became a pool snob when it came to equipmemt.

Then i joined a travel league where we played in some of the most hole in the wall bars you have ever seen.

One night we played in this bar that had the jukebox playing wide open. The table had rips and tears and dents in the slate. I was playing like crap..missing shots and miscueing like crazy.

Resulting in being down 3-0 in a 5-3 race with me going to 3. I was playing a 7. So what do i do ? Grabbed my breaker and started shooting with it. Now this breaker was something i picked up in a pawn shop for 30.00. It had to have weighed no more than 16 oz. The lightest cue i have ever held. The butt was hollow all the way through and no butt cap. The tip a d ferrule was hard plastic...not phenolic. I mean clear hard plastic with the end shaped like a tip. You could see the tenon inside of the ferrule..

Every time i struck the cue ball...tink. I had no choice but to focus on each and every shot . o mean extreme focus where i ignored the loud music...the trars in the table. I focused solely on where i was striling the cue ball..i wound up winning 4-4.

My opponent was amazed that i turned my game around and shot so much better with that breaker than my regular cue.

So sunday night. Played the same 4 in both 8 and 9 ball. I won 8 ball 4-2 and 9 ball 46-26. 8 ball was not as great as last friday and 9 ball was a heck of a lot better.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Dont take what i am about to say as a recomendation of what to do in those situations.

But first let me say i practically spent every weekend in bars in my younger days. Table conditions or warped house cues didnt faze me one bit. Just happy to be playing pool.

When i got into leagues and playing mostly at pool halls i got used to well maintained tables and used my own cues. In effect i became a pool snob when it came to equipmemt.

Then i joined a travel league where we played in some of the most hole in the wall bars you have ever seen.

One night we played in this bar that had the jukebox playing wide open. The table had rips and tears and dents in the slate. I was playing like crap..missing shots and miscueing like crazy.

Resulting in being down 3-0 in a 5-3 race with me going to 3. I was playing a 7. So what do i do ? Grabbed my breaker and started shooting with it. Now this breaker was something i picked up in a pawn shop for 30.00. It had to have weighed no more than 16 oz. The lightest cue i have ever held. The butt was hollow all the way through and no butt cap. The tip a d ferrule was hard plastic...not phenolic. I mean clear hard plastic with the end shaped like a tip. You could see the tenon inside of the ferrule..

Every time i struck the cue ball...tink. I had no choice but to focus on each and every shot . o mean extreme focus where i ignored the loud music...the trars in the table. I focused solely on where i was striling the cue ball..i wound up winning 4-4.

My opponent was amazed that i turned my game around and shot so much better with that breaker than my regular cue.

So sunday night. Played the same 4 in both 8 and 9 ball. I won 8 ball 4-2 and 9 ball 46-26. 8 ball was not as great as last friday and 9 ball was a heck of a lot better.

Not at all sir

For me I don't play league for fun I have tables at home to hit balls on
,I play league and tournaments for the competition alone that's When i have fun , and that's the first time I think the table has worked against me
, now I could have focused and gathered myself but I just couldn't since it was a pretty good battle to get hill hill with the guy and I wasn't playing good at all the whole night.
No one but me and a crazy table roll to blame lol

Coyote501

Went 1-2 tonight. Shot really well. Literally missed 2 shots I maybe/coulda made that cost me 2 games. Thats league play in a nutshell....... but damnit I shot pretty damn well.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Had a pretty good night tonight, first time I 3-0'd an opponent in a while. Started to feel a bit like I used to, shooting...we'll see if it lasts. Regardless, it was a fun night

dquarasr

Registered
After the summer session where I lost and lost and lost, playing terribly, I was close to selling my cues and home table. I stuck with it, took a few good lessons, watched a ton of videos, bought Mark Wilson’s book, and got serious about getting better. In the fall session I captured #1 MVP in 8 and led most of the session in 9, finishing a respectable 3rd in 9 MVP.

Still not satisfied, still working on my game.

During all this I accepted the request to become 9-ball team captain after the previous captain had to bow out of league play. So I’m fairly committed to getting better in all aspects of league play.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing bca singles 8b. My last few nights have been great pool, just not getting the games. Talking max 3 innings, and close games. 5 game sets.

Feels good to be playing well. And terrible to be losing still.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Getting my ass beat in bca last 2 weeks 10 games 2 wins

Don't know what to do, all mental far as I can tell.
Usually show up 2 hrs early snack on something and drill shots from bad positions

Need to change something up before something stupid happens.

I hate losing more than I like winning

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Friggin 320s running 5 ball outs 🙄
Haha. Thats happening in our bca league. We have new player that is serious about playing and learning but plays slow. She is making more balls, but a five game set is taking 1.5-2h. no one complains because she is cute and fun so it is an enjoyable 2h, but she gets lots of points at low handicap because no one can get serious enough after the long wait. And she will do 3-5 ball runs if the table is clear. Her handicap is pushing her in the top 7 i think of a 34 player field.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
one more week of apa and im going to do my best to stay away for a while. cant seem to beat 6`s anymore,
its as if the more my cue skills improve the more my mental side declines. frustrating to say the least. cant control my emotions or tempo and pace near half as much as i can the rock

going to substitute apa with tournaments is possible. id get out of bca for tournaments as well but its likea little cash pot so i can stick it out, and i have a pretty good 3man team put together that has a good shot to win the season. which is why i assembled this second team.

Coyote501

So my APA league night was tonight. Tonights also my birthday. Ah screw it I'll go play. Lost the lag, dude breaks and runs the freaking table on me..........LOL.............