how are ya'll doing in league ?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Yeah I usually spend more on the drink and tip and corndog than the league fee's
No booze while shooting

Apa is 8
Bca is 5 unless you want to go to Vegas and pay the 20

It adds up

Since we're on the subject, I try to never eat anything when at league. Not cuz of the money, but I think it takes away some of the mojo I have by taking the blood to the gut vs. the brain. My brain needs all the help it can get!

Not to mention the grease and stuff that gets on everything.

But I bet the bars love the extra revenue.

Jeff Livingston

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Since we're on the subject, I try to never eat anything when at league. Not cuz of the money, but I think it takes away some of the mojo I have by taking the blood to the gut vs. the brain. My brain needs all the help it can get!

Jeff Livingston

I agree about not eating while playing, but I get the food an HR or more before game time, because I've eaten while playing twice, totally unfocus's me plus everything you mention.
So I eat well ahead of time for the energy boost and can be on track for go time

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree about not eating while playing, but I get the food an HR or more before game time, because I've eaten while playing twice, totally unfocus's me plus everything you mention.
So I eat well ahead of time for the energy boost and can be on track for go time
My problem is I usually go to league directly from work. I'm starving by then. Trying to relax and focus is hard enough when just getting off of work, but it's a nightmare when you are hungry on top of it. Throw in the possibility I sometimes forget my gym shoes and have to play in work boots, it becomes the perfect shit storm to my playing abilities!

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston
It depends. If I go to league directly from work, and don't get any dinner (or even a snack) i have to eat something or I'll be a wreck. Either with or without drinking, for appropriate reasons....

If I have some dinner, I don't get food at the pool hall. Couple of beers.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a night at league, I realized I had spent $50 for the night! Firty bucks. wow. That is the norm now. Dang.

It was $15 for the league fee and then $33 for drinks with a tip.

I can't afford to do that more than once a week. I used to play 3 leagues when I was broke, somehow.

You guys feeling the effects of higher prices? Are you playing less because of it?

Jeff Livingston

Ouch, $15 for league fee's, what league do you play in?

In Boise it was $8 last time I looked. I don't drink when playing pool and pop is cheap so never had to worry about that.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't eat and play, takes the focus away and I'm not getting that greasy crap on my cues. Me and a buddy go for lunch about once a week and just bang balls, even then when the food arrives we sit down and eat once the food arrives.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Oh yeah.....I played for the first time in over five weeks last night. My heart is still in afib, but I plodded through it. Thankfully, I played a guy who is a friend of mine so we were having fun. I told him beforehand that I was going to be playing fairly slow. He was okay with that. Heck, he even took a piss break right in the middle of our match so I could catch my breath. I beat him 5 games to 1. I hope he still considers me a friend.

Maniac

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Ouch, $15 for league fee's, what league do you play in?

In Boise it was $8 last time I looked. I don't drink when playing pool and pop is cheap so never had to worry about that.

It's a newer league called IPPL, Iowa Pool Players League. My captain subbed on a team last year and ended up with a free Vegas trip so he wants to repeat that if we can. I don't know if you guys in NE can get in it. It's not in Omaha, I don't think. Maybe.

It is a combo, 9 and 8 ball with handicapping done by the LO, not the true numbers. I'm supposed to play less than I'm able to so when we play the city tournament in Feburary, my handicap will not hurt us. I refused to do that, thus the arguments we're in, re why play leagues.

New league, same ol' crap...lol. I've done this league play for 35 or 40 years now...I ain't buying the shit anymore. I practice, show up and play and pay, the same I ask of the others.

Jeff Livingston

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Oh yeah.....I played for the first time in over five weeks last night. My heart is still in afib, but I plodded through it. Thankfully, I played a guy who is a friend of mine so we were having fun. I told him beforehand that I was going to be playing fairly slow. He was okay with that. Heck, he even took a piss break right in the middle of our match so I could catch my breath. I beat him 5 games to 1. I hope he still considers me a friend.

Maniac

Dang, I've had AFib twice in the last two yrs, got the heart shock treatment, first time I was a dummy and didn't follow up that's why It came back, probably,
Thyroid the cause,

Must not be too life threatening as the clinic "drs" made it out to be my first encounter with it, cause the second time these others were like "they made you do what!?" Long story

Didn't mean to derail the thread, just caught my interest you playing league with AFib

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a newer league called IPPL, Iowa Pool Players League. My captain subbed on a team last year and ended up with a free Vegas trip so he wants to repeat that if we can. I don't know if you guys in NE can get in it. It's not in Omaha, I don't think. Maybe.

It is a combo, 9 and 8 ball with handicapping done by the LO, not the true numbers. I'm supposed to play less than I'm able to so when we play the city tournament in Feburary, my handicap will not hurt us. I refused to do that, thus the arguments we're in, re why play leagues.

New league, same ol' crap...lol. I've done this league play for 35 or 40 years now...I ain't buying the shit anymore. I practice, show up and play and pay, the same I ask of the others.

Jeff Livingston

Roger, I'm not in Omaha anymore, been in Idaho since 2004. And it's crappy they don't use a standardized rating system, that's how pool gets more segmented. I think everyone should use FR but APA should keep their system as it gives the little guys a better chance at winning, and that's how we keep pool going.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Dang, I've had AFib twice in the last two yrs, got the heart shock treatment, first time I was a dummy and didn't follow up that's why It came back, probably,
Fifth time for me over 20 years. I've already had two cardioversions. An ablation is in my near future.

With my thickened and enlarged heart, type 2 diabetes, and Afib....I'm a walking stroke just waiting to happen.

BlueRaider

Registered
Can anyone explain to me how Cities tournaments work in APA in terms of player eligibility?

My team qualified for Cities in 9-ball during my first session (last session). Apparently it doesn't happen until May 2022. We've already lost 2 people from the team that qualified. I would love to quit after this session, but I'm worried about what will happen to my team in regards to the Cities tournament. We'd be down to only 5 people from that original crew that qualified. Would only those 5 be eligible to play in Cities (and Vegas, if they somehow made it)?

Unfortunately, there's another guy from that group who is a big flight risk as well, so even if I left them 5 eligible players, there's a good chance he won't make it that far and they won't even be able to field a full team at the Cities tournament.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone explain to me how Cities tournaments work in APA in terms of player eligibility?

My team qualified for Cities in 9-ball during my first session (last session). Apparently it doesn't happen until May 2022. We've already lost 2 people from the team that qualified. I would love to quit after this session, but I'm worried about what will happen to my team in regards to the Cities tournament. We'd be down to only 5 people from that original crew that qualified. Would only those 5 be eligible to play in Cities (and Vegas, if they somehow made it)?

Unfortunately, there's another guy from that group who is a big flight risk as well, so even if I left them 5 eligible players, there's a good chance he won't make it that far and they won't even be able to field a full team at the Cities tournament.

It's been a while for me but here's what I remember: To be eligible you have to remain on a team (and I believe it has to be the same format 8B/9B) and have played 4 matches during the most recent session prior to the tournament.

There are others here that my know a bit more, I'm sure they'll chime in, I was just getting you going in the right direction.

DryFlyTrout

I started the last session well. At one point I was 5 wins in 7 matches, with 1 loss being a match I was fully capable of winning and stratched on the 8. I had a bit of a rough second half and finished 6/11. With another match I gave away. Could have been 8/11 almost as easily which I'd feel a lot better about. The team I was with was sorta toxic. I'm switching to another team next session. I'm hoping to actually have fun and want to play/practice again instead of feeling like I have a part time job I don't get paid for.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Unfortunately, the answer for that is "ask your LO". I think there may be some local latitude as to making that decision, as opposed to a flat answer that applies to every territory, tho I may very well be wrong.

If I recall how it works here, as long as at least 4 members of the team that qualified remain, the team can play with its current lineup. But again, there may be conditions to that, too...like, you can replace players up till the spring session, or some such. All I can remember is that, here, you can replace some of the players that qualified, at some point.
There has to be some sort of limit, else people would find ways to stack their teams just before the tournament. But teams have to make changes, too...

Ask you LO how it works in their territory.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston
I have been to a few tournaments and league nights where someone eats and feels ill after. So i avoid it. If i am hungry i go to a reputable place near by. Our hall doesn't have a kitchen set just yet.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My recent winning streak came to an end last night, and I ain't unhappy. They threw me against a 7 this week, we don't do that often. I played reasonably well, match went hill-hill, I had a shot at the 8 to win. You don't get many extra chances in those scenarios, best make the most of them. I didn't, and thats why I lost.

I'm never "satisfied" with a loss, but this wasn't a bad night. He's a gentleman, I enjoy watching him play. I had some good moments, which are encouraging, and we got a point out of the deal. I'll take it.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
We had to have a playoff match last night because of a tie for the whole season last week in 9-ball.

Our oldest player (81 years old) took the reins. He needed 5 games to his opponent's 4.

Our guy won 5-0. He was running balls like a kid. We all just watched and cheered. An easy, quick night.

BAM. One for the old guys. First place in 9 ball and 8 ball for our team.

Back to it for the next season on Jan. 11.

Jeff Livingston

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
got a little lucky and shot a 50 while subbing on a friends team last night

the best team in the div needed a sub to finish the last game out.
these guys are amazing. 2 of the players compete against each other for the most break n run bonus and most 50 point night bonuses each session

we played the worst team .